back to article Infosecurity is very much like...

After three days, 320 exhibitors, dozens of presentations, and even more extensive marketing guff the Infosecurity exhibition in London is over for another year. Thankfully, next year's trade show will be held in Earls Court, not in the wastes of Olympia, and so much easier to get to. Adios Olympia The biennial Information …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wasn't Inclusive...

Any students try to get into this event? I tried and could not get tickets online because of the no students policy. (OK I could have faked my job, but...)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Students?

No offence Mr Student, but Infosec charges big bucks for exhibitors to attend these shows and as such they need to ensure that the is a certain commercial integrity (for want of a better expression) at the show, the need to demonstrate the right 'profile' of visitor. Exhibitors don't want to spend hours giving goodies and advice to students, there's no money in that, even if it was very valuable for you. If Infosec was known as a place where students go to get up to speed on the latest security tech then no-one would want to exhibit there as it wouldn't make them any money and the show would die. It's tough to accept, but it's the truth.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Banks should implement KEY and PIN system to combat fraud

Massive increase in fraud crimes should make the government and banks realise that their data protection and Chip and PIN systems are diverting rather than deterring fraud crimes.

This shows that fraud will continue to grow until they exploit KEY and PIN system described on website www.xwave.co.uk which will deter BOTH identity and card fraud by making signature and PIN systems reliable and foolproof.

Fake documents have made our signature system unreliable while skimmers and pin-hole cameras etc. have made PIN system unreliable. We have option to make signatures reliable by personalising them with ID stickers and option to use Card Key Code to make PIN system reliable to make use of stolen and skimmed cards meaningless. By ignoring to exploit this system banks are only letting fraud crimes grow.

ID KEY system will eliminate the need for us to protect our personal and card details since fraudsters will be deterred from misusing these stolen details.

Proposed ID KEY can be treated as a reliable international ID card because it will personalise signature and PIN number to only the right individuals in any country.

We hope that the government and banks will appreciate these details and exploit KEY and PIN system before it is too late to stop a fraud boom.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@Key and Pin

That key and pin system is a joke, right? Presumably this is your company ... bet no'one can figure out how to copy those stickers.

5. Nick
    Thumb Up

@ the Anonymous Student...

If you have a particular interest in Computer Security, then you should have the skills enough to get into the show. Its not exactly difficult.

Or, as several of the keynote speakers mentioned - get back to study and learn secure programming to save the future of mankind!

6. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Pirate

@Banks should implement KEY and PIN system to combat fraud

AC/Yogesh?

Sounds like a very Promising System and any failure to implement it, or anything similar to it which would be prepared to make such bold claims, would have us thinking that the Banking System is in league with criminal elements or criminal element ways, which allow it to milk the System and blame third parties and criminals for its losses. And it is also a nice scam to not know exactly how much any particular con operation costs, for of course any figure, attributed to an identity which is scammed and not confirmed/identified, could also be just a fictious criminal too, with the System/dodgy characters in the System fleecing its customers instead, for Black Profit.

And if we consider that all money, Black or White, is catered and laundered through the System, it may very well be a Criminal System in its Entirety, Hiding in Plain Sight and pretending to be Respectable and Worthy whenever it is anything but and Everything else.

And the Jolly Roger because they may be jolly dodgy Pirates.

7. TrishaD

Brakes on Cars

Bugger!

I INVENTED that analogy about 12 months ago! I want royalties....

Yes, all right, it wasnt a very good one but it was the best I could come up with at the time........

8. Ash

Re: XWave

From the site: " This kiosk will take photo of person’s face and print multiple ID stickers at a nominal price. These ID stickers can be used to personalise virtually anything including signatures to deter fraud and medication to deter fatal mistakes. Signatures don’t even expose person’s gender and hence it is virtually impossible to deter identity fraud unless we personalise signatures."

So, you're saying that we can't tell a person's gender from their signature? Very true. However, you're signing over A STICKER WITH THEIR PHOTO AND FULL NAME ON.

Fail.

The best way to secure your identity is to pay with cash. Nobody worries about identity when your ID comes with "I promise to pay the bearer on demand..." printed in colour-fast ink.

9. Richard Stubbs
    Thumb Up

Pretty Good Pub

Students would have felt at home this year - is it just me or were there copious amounts of alcohol being pimped about this year? - after having a full branded beer glass thrust in my hand at the PGP (pretty good pub) stand , I pondered to reconsider renewing our PGP desktop licences at the end of this month but as my colleague pointed out, it's not a good sign, the city wobbles when stockbrokers order Champagne at lunch time, yes times are hard and GNUPG and TrueCrypt now fill that gap for us, but for me best show for entertainment again was put on by SecureTest – but take note - beer not socks again next year gents (chilled).

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re:Key and Pin

Of course, as a bank user (it's hard not to be these days), I don't give a shit about fraud.

If my account gets compromised, I'll have to put up with a period of inconvenience with minimal financial loss (if they want to keep my mortgage).

As soon as my bank makes it harder for me to buy things, I'll go to another bank.

11. Pete James

@ AC - Bank Accounts

The banks won't put up with users losing their details so easily for all that much longer. At some point they're going to start telling users that it's THEIR fault that they allowed their account details to be stolen and so hard luck sunshine - by the way here's a fat charge for going overdrawn.

12. Vinod Raghavan

@Pete James

"The banks won't put up with users losing their details so easily for all that much longer. At some point they're going to start telling users that it's THEIR fault that they allowed their account details to be stolen and so hard luck sunshine - by the way here's a fat charge for going overdrawn."

Unfortunately for the banks, it is difficult to prove that it is the users fault. If the bank uses systems that enable a customers details to be stolen, then it is their fault. Unless they are willing to have their systems openly analysed in court, they would almost certainly be forced to pay up. I doubt any bank would want their security arrangements to be out in the open likle that.

This topic is closed for new posts.