back to article Rampaging Google now second most valuable company ON EARTH

Apple may handily hold the title of World's Most Valuable Company when measured by the size of its market capitalization, but the number-two spot, long held by fossil-fuel pusher Exxon Mobil, has been usurped by one of Cupertino's craftiest competitors: Google. As we clicked Publish on this story after the markets closed on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Faster Gogglecat! KILL KILL!

1. Mike Bell
      Mushroom

Beware of what you wish for...

When your head is about to explode courtesy of a Google-powered blipvert and your Google-powered Android device is malwared to jiggery, crying into your pillow isn't going to help.

1. Bladeforce

Re: Beware of what you wish for...

When your head is about to explode because of endless botched updates and constant price hikes combined with unnecessary FUD and extortion and even after all this your system still has viruses and is a zombie for crooks around the world crying into your pillow because you pay for this privilage hasn't helped for the last 15 years and won't help you for the next 15 years either until you grow a pair and break free from the chains you are claiming the poster to be tied to. You already are!

1. RyokuMas
          FAIL

@Bladeforce - Hmmm... so the O.P. make no mention of any operating system apart from problems with Google, yet here we have the classic knee-jerk, anti Microsoft rant...

The only FUD I'm getting here is from your post. Sorry! After all, while I'll admit not being clued up on Apple, I'm pretty sure they've got a pretty good record on updates and keeping clean of malware etc.

I know this will fall on deaf ears, but those who do not listen to history are doomed to repeat it. You claim the OP is "chained", and yet it sounds you are equally chained to Google's publicity machine, eagerly taking in every word they say and giving up your data and identity without a thought.

I feel sorry for you.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Trollface

> crying into your pillow isn't going to help

On the other hand, the pillow will recommend products that will help you get to sleep, in a soft voice...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

P/E?

P/E of 25 shows that investors see lots of growth? It also means the company is fabulously overvalued.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: P/E?

Not really overvalued; it means it is returning 4% over investment, which is not unreasonable.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmmm

For a company that makes virtually nothing Google is very over valued.

A stock split won't help either.

You need to sharpen up on your purchases. Losing a few billion on major purchases does not go down well with the M&A people on Wall St.

Then there is the advertising. There are an awful lot of people who are fed up with Google's data slurping and 'targetted Ads'. There is always too much of a good thing. In the end people turn to alternatives.

Google built its reputation on search. Too much diversification into non profitable areas could mean that the top people take their eye off the ball.

Carl Icahn, are you watching?

1. frank ly

Re: Hmmmm

"For a company that makes virtually nothing ..."

Does that mean that all banks and insurance (etc) companies are overvalued?

1. Ole Juul

Re: Hmmmm

yes

4. Chris G

For a company that makes nothing

Judging by the purchases made by Google in recent years it looks to me as though they are planning on making something.

Computer vision, mapping, AI, deep neural networks, GP navigation, Gesture and facial recognition, home automation and a bevy of robotics companies.

I would be very surprised if at some time in the not too far distant future they did not announce plans to produce a range of domestic and commercial vehicles, and appliances that in essence are robots of one kind or another and that are linked to the interthings net. Presumably that too is being developed by them.

I like to knock Google for it's blatant data mining, tax evasion and don't give a shit about your personal privacy attitude but you have to give them credit for spending a few bob on a list of companies that when put together gives them a fair bit of scope for some out of the box thinking and research.

If the Interthings net is going to be 'The Next Big Thing' then Borgle are definitely positioned well to exploit it if they make full use of all they have bought.

Whoever first used the word 'assimilation' in connection with Borgle probably made a very accurate connection it looks to me that there is a pattern in the assimilations they have made particularly in the last two years as seen here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Google .

1. pacman7de

Re: "in connection with Borgle"

"Whoever first used the word 'assimilation' in connection with Borgle probably made a very accurate connection"

Actually it was Microsoft who were first to be associated with 'assimilation'. "Resistance is futile! You will be assimilated!"

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: "in connection with Borgle"

And with anti-communism.

Microsoft: More anticommunistic than the WACL financing south-american dictators hanging random campesinos for fun & giggles.

5. Bladeforce

Very happy with this...

At least Google still give us a choice and don't go out of their way to kill competitors through underhanded tactics....hellooo Microsoft!! The bad old days were like this..Microsoft saw a competitor spread the FUD, bought and extinguished a competitor..pure evil. Google just put their software out there and let it do the talking. If you don't like it then don't use it. Google for all their problems with tax at least compete

6. pacman7de

One of Cupertino's craftiest competitors?

I would have thought Microsoft/Dell is more appropriate, after all Google isn't a major player in the consumer hardware/software sector. Google is in competition with the traditional media for their advert revenue.

1. Only me!

Re: One of Cupertino's craftiest competitors?

Are you saying Android is not a major player in the consumer software market.......get a grip, it powers a lot of phones who then part with hard cash to buy apps.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like