back to article Think British weather is bad? It's nothing to this WOBBLY ALIEN planet

Imagine a world where the weather is even more erratic than it is in old Blighty, where - famously - four seasons in one day aren't uncommon. Such a world is Kepler-413b. Kepler 413b system The tilt of this weird and wobbly world can vary by as much as 30 degrees over 11 years, leading to completely erratic seasons compared …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anthony Hegedus Silver badge
    Alien

"Luckily for any would-be space explorers, they won't be required to experience the erratic climes of Kepler 413b as it's too warm for life as we know it. It's also too close to its suns for liquid water to exist and it's a super Neptune - a giant gas planet - so there's no surface for anyone to stand on." - However, the local council has still managed to paint double yellow lines to prevent shoppers from parking, and there's still a starbucks on every corner

1. Charles Manning

At least....

The weather might be crap, but at least there are no TSA goons feeling you up at the border.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Coat

It's a ball of gas: balls don't have corners.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Bucky Balls do. :)

3. Mtech25
      Thumb Up

Well the council tax is not that bad

And housing is cheap although the commute is rather long

2. Alister

Sounds to me like Trenco.

Any purple vegetation??

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Any purple vegetation??

Or Rigellians?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Alien

Or (hopefully) green Orion slave girls?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Or (hopefully) green Orion slave girls?

Take me down to Orion city

Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty

Oooh, ohhh, take me do-ownnn...

3. Shady

Whereas our weather...

...currently resembles that of LV-426

1. Isendel Steel

Re: Whereas our weather...

In that case it's probably best if we just nuke it from orbit....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Mushroom

Re: Whereas our weather...

... its the only way to be sure

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EELT

Just waiting for The European Extremely Large Telescope, currently being built in South America.

They expect to be able to photograph weather patterns on exoplanets with that one.

5. Joerg

2300 light years distance.. just 4 years to change anything from here?

So... these claim that they can see the movement of the planet at a distance of 2,300 light years .. and that just 4 years here on Earth by 2020 they will be able to see more of it ?

For their own official fixed speed of light rule it shouldn't be even remotely possible.

Of course there is no fixed speed of light thing..but the official science claims such a lie.

1. Wilseus

Re: 2300 light years distance.. just 4 years to change anything from here?

What on earth are you talking about?

1. AbelSoul

> "What on earth are you talking about?"

He/She isn't; he's talking about Kepler 413b.

2. AbelSoul
      Pint

Bravo, Joerg!

That is possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen on this site.

Have a cyber pint!

(You were joking, weren't you?)

3. Winkypop Silver badge
      Headmaster

Sorry, your argument from ignorance does not advance the conversation.

I suggest you read up some science regarding the Transit Method of detecting exoplanets.

I also recommend you consider downloading the Exoplanets app, a visual and interactive catalogue of all known exoplanets.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/exoplanet/id327702034?mt=8

1. Joerg

"Sorry, your argument from ignorance does not advance the conversation.

I suggest you read up some science regarding the Transit Method of detecting exoplanets.

I also recommend you consider downloading the Exoplanets app, a visual and interactive catalogue of all known exoplanets."

You are the ignorant one here. Thinking that all that babbling by the scientific community has anything to do with the truth.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I suggest you read up some science regarding the Transit Method of detecting exoplanets."

Telling this guy to read up on exoplanet detection methods is like telling someone who denies the existence of roads to take a defensive driving course.

4. Mtech25

"Of course there is no fixed speed of light thing..but the official science claims such a lie."

You are more than welcome to try and prove otherwise as soon as you can go faster than 299 792 458 meters per a second than I will give one 1 million pounds

(of course by the time you return to earth inflation would make 1 million quid worth about a fiver and I might not be alive.)

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Of course there is no fixed speed of light thing..but the official science claims such a lie."

That's lucky. You'll be able to pop back in time and not enter that stupid comment.

6. sisk

Do you not see the irony of accusing someone of babbling after making that comment?

Sense: Your statements make none.

6. Scott Broukell
    Joke

23.5 degrees over 26,000 years

I told you I felt the earth move darling!

1. asdf

Re: 23.5 degrees over 26,000 years

Which also affect climate, through the 100k cycles are the strongest (forgot exactly why and too lazy to look). Please no human climate change discussion though as their are plenty of LP and AO articles to go do that on.

7. Wanderingone56ish

How long until.........

Donald Trump plans to build a golf course on it?

8. John Tserkezis

The Register, TripAdvisor for the planets.

I hear the Hotel Royale is pretty interesting, just don't expect to ever leave.

1. AbelSoul

Re: The Register, TripAdvisor for the planets.

> "...the Hotel Royale is pretty interesting, just don't expect to ever leave."

Although you can check out any time you like.

1. Suburban Inmate

Re: The Register, TripAdvisor for the planets.

"don't expect to ever leave."

"Although you can check out any time you like"

A bit like facebook then...

9. Steven Roper

I may have to eat my words

in a years-old argument with a friend.

Many years ago, we were watching a Star Trek TNG episode (I can't remember which one it was), and there was a scene in which Captain Picard was studying an "anomalous" star system. Picard had a holographic projection of this system above his desk, and one of the depicted planets had a distorted orbit that was decidedly non-planar. I told my friend that was absolute garbage, that it was gravitationally impossible for a planet to orbit like that. (I tended to pick holes in Star Trek's premises and dismiss it as "treknobabble", while my friend insisted it was all based on actual known physics, which made me laugh.)

Well... this seems to be a planet that orbits in a fashion rather similar to Picard's holographic system. I wouldn't have thought it possible - but there it is. Looks like my friend has the last laugh after all!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I may have to eat my words

Trek has a habit of doing that to people - but you may still be correct: I presume that it's the planet's dual suns that yank it about in such a manner, and it seems reasonable that a planet with a single main source of gravitational pull would indeed not be able to wobble so.

Of course, if Picard's projection had dual suns, then you're out of luck.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like