back to article Google bit barge ordered to set sail for safe waters

The San Francisco member of Google's mystery barge fleet has sailed into stormy waters, with the San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission (SFBCDC) ordering the ad giant to find a new dock for the craft. At issue, says Associated Press, is zoning for the dock where Google shipwrights are working on the bit …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris G

Borgle Bit Barge Biffed Out

THe human interaction bit gives me the idea that the barges are intended for assimilation with glass and some of the other robotics/cybernetics that Borgle have acquired recently.

Just think no latency between your devices and you when they are all built in.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hahahahahahahahaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

That's all.

3. James 100

Trying to dodge the rules?

It seemed pretty blatant that Google were using it as a floating building to get around all the planning laws that apply if they put it on land - and unfortunately for them, I think a little Vulture said previously there's a specific law against exactly that: the wet bit's there for boats, not for buildings that aren't allowed on the land next to it.

As I recall, on land Google would have had to file architect's plans and much more detail about what the building is for - which seemed quite reasonable to me (is it a shop? factory? office? datacentre?) but didn't suit Google's "total privacy for us, none for you" agenda. They do seem to be taking that secrecy to ridiculous lengths, though: why not just admit it's their answer to the Apple Store? (Or a test bed for Glass, or whatever.)

1. Mikel

Re: Trying to dodge the rules?

Wow. That's a lot of bile for a minor permitting issue. Are you upset they're too cheap to spring for a proper island volcano evil genius lair?

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: a lot of bile for a minor permitting issue.

I think the bile is for the "We don't have to follow the rules like everyone else" attitude, not this specific infraction.

1. James Hughes 1

If that is the case, then the bile reservation needs to be reserved for more than just Google. Please include almost every large corporation.

2. Daggerchild Silver badge
          Devil

While everyone rages at Google for being evil here, may I slip this conveniently overlooked little detail onto the table:

Google didn't *actually* do anything wrong here. They properly applied for, and were granted, the right permits.

However, the authorities they got them from, didn't get *their* permits from the authority above *them*. Note how the news articles carefully avoid saying Google was actually at fault.

Now look at the resulting Googlehatefest. Cool trick huh? Good thing you didn't fall for it isn't it! Imagine what could be done if you could manipulate public hatred that easily! :-)

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: That's interesting....

If you've got sources...

(or tickets for Googlehatefest, it sounds awesome!)

1. Daggerchild Silver badge

Re: That's interesting....

> If you've got sources...

You mean the AP link in this very article? I've shown you mine, now you show me yours ;-)

> (or tickets for Googlehatefest, it sounds awesome!)

Just follow the fires in San Fransisco next year. (Don't travel by bus).

Free Love is like, so over. Free Hate is where it's at, dude. It'll be like Burning Man, with actual burning men!

4. Crisp
    Coat

“an interactive space where people can learn about new technology”

Like the Matrix?

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Big Brother

SF Local gov really don't like Google do they?

First they slap a fee on for stopping the buses taking workers to the Chocolate Factory for having the nerve to stop at public bus stops.

Then they are telling the Google Barge, 'get out of town'. Well, it does look as bad as the ugly duckling so that line from the song seems appropriate.

What is next in the war between the two?

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: SF Local gov really don't like Google do they?

Maybe Google will learn that is can't just do anythig it wants, without following existing laws and rules.

From the outside, they seem to have the attitude of we'll do what we want, until somebody complains, regardless of whether it is legal or not.

It seems that the engineers think something is a good idea and go ahead in engineering mode, "because we can," without doing any fact checking.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: SF Local gov really don't like Google do they?

What is next in the war between the two?

Maybe the handouts were not big enough? I'm not suggesting bribery here (or bribery gone wrong), but it does have a bit of a petty, personal feel to it. I certainly appreciate Google being asked to stick to the law, but in this case it wasn't Google - I find it weird that permits were issued that don't seem to stack up.

6. Ian Michael Gumby

So is evil when...

... you follow the mantra that its easier to beg for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission?

Google says do know evil. [sic]

Knowing that its easier to violate the law until you're caught, then beg for forgiveness.

1. big_D Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: So is evil when...

Actually, they say "do NO evil", which assumes that they must know evil, I suppose. ;-)

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: Actually, they say "do NO evil"

Actually the google motto is "don't be evil".

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Actually, they say "do NO evil"

Shortened from "don't be evil like we are".

7. Graham Marsden
    Facepalm

If only...

... there was some sort of resource where they could look up this sort of information...

8. dssf

What if google bougt and modified an existing barge?

Or, convert a small ship. Once the proof of concept proved viable, they could rescale the vessel once shpwcasing a success for local communities. They probably could have had the red carpet rolled out for them.

We poor people, though, to get funding, have to go guerilla financing if we lack creditworthiness or do not want to be hijacked by greedsters.

If they created a floating power barge that had data processing capabilities.....

9. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like