back to article HP UK: meeting unions over staff redundancy plans

HP has confirmed it will convene with unions reps in a bid to thrash out the number of UK workers that could get the heave-ho over the next 90 days. Consultation began on 30 January "regarding potential workforce changes" that have been pencilled in by management for HP's fiscal Q2, which started this month. "Collective …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Moving roles abroad does not save you money..

You end up getting a less experienced work force and pissing off customers...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Meh

Its not about the workforce or the customer. Its all about how much those at the top can reap before they 'move on', leaving behind chaos, confusion, pissed off customers and de-motivated staff - none of which is at the front of any of senior management's mind when they come up with these 'wonderful' ideas.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Best to move on

Given the state of HP, most people would be best taking the redundancy money and getting a better job elsewhere. There's some discomfort and risk in that option, but you'll probably end up with a better job in a better company. As a former HP person who has been through this redundancy process (client cancelled contract, therefore we were surplus staff) I can attest that the redundancy conditions are not ungenerous, and with a tail wind you can have a new job lined up whilst still going through the so-called consultation period. All the team that went with me did...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Best to move on

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. I gladly took the money and went freelance and I'm much happier and wealthier. I don't understand why so many of my friends are still there even though they hate the company. Fear of the unknown I think.

3. Cream_DJ
    Thumb Down

makes me laugh...

Makes me laugh that HP can post profits and directors wages/bonus/stock options etc, but still find a need to make so many people redundant!

Of course I understand the need to 'trim the fat' and save money, but surely the satisfaction of your customers is paramount? After all without them you wouldn't make anything!

To say, from first hand experience, that customers are unsatisfied with HPs "service" is an understatement. Maybe Meg should get off her perch once in a while and actually find out what can be done to improve things!

4. Mikel

It is all crumbling

Dell goes private to hide the books. HP redundancies. IBM sells server biz to Lenovo. Sony in talks to sell off VAIO PC lines. It is shaping up like an IT Apocalypse.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More coward comments

There is no real rationale behind the redundancies that is visible, a large proportion of the people being made redundant are billed out per hour and are in effect walking dollars. If the company can not make a profit then something is fundamentally wrong. Furthermore, HP are having recruitment fairs one on the 11th Feb in Newcastle and seem to be employing more expensive contractors, so I am clueless as to the rationale behind this. I think this is more a left hand and right hand. I must stress there is a lot of good will at hp with their staff as people work for the people they work with rather than the company they work for.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like