back to article Cointerra promises free, specced-up boxen for late shipments of first gen miners

Texas-based Bitcoin hardware shop Cointerra has shipped the first batch of its TerraMiner IV $6,000 Bitcoin mining boxes. At a ceremony held at their Texas office they handed one over to local customer Jake Gostylo. As is traditional for Bitcoin hardware it’s late and below the advertised specification. Yet unlike many of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As is traditional for Bitcoin hardware it’s late and below the advertised specification.

It’s normal to tape out, order a few engineering wafers, test and then have a production run a few months later. Cointerra ordered hundreds of engineering wafers to expedite the process

Alternatively ... Bitcoin hardware is traditionally late because the designers want to get a head start in the mining while their device has a clear advantage and before their paying customers start competing. This time they ordered 100s of engineering wafers to improve their edge.

Same as the old gold rush adage that the only people making money are the ones selling the shovels.

2. Anonymous Coward 101

The Clive Sinclair marketing strategy strikes again:

Promise the world, under deliver, and do it late.

3. rhydian

The man who always got rich in gold rushes...

...was the bloke selling pickaxes

4. Ross K Silver badge
    Holmes

Hmm

Cointerra has, however, demurred requests to ship their box with a plain black front panel so that data centre staff can slip it into a rack at work to take advantage of their employer’s power and cooling.

An interesting way to get your P45 if found out...

And probably not a good idea from a legal POV.

1. rhydian

Re: Hmm

The usual precedent is a court appearance for stealing electricity, though if it's hooked in to the data side then a computer misuse charge might be possible.

5. Ivan Headache
    Happy

1 gigahash

equals 1000 megaspliffs

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: 1 gigahash

Not 1024?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 1 gigahash

Unimportant as you'd lose count around the 50 mark anyway.

6. Drew 11

"Of course, this is subject to changes in difficulty and the value of Bitcoins."

And the cost of power is a highly variable factor, of course.

1. R 11

You could add a small fan and a cheap telly showing that youtube video of a log in the fireplace and use the thing to keep the living room warm.

7. armyknife

titles are for toffs.

What an enormous waste of energy and effort.

8. dprophet

I can confirm Cointerra is shipping

I can confirm they are shipping. I am paying customer from back in August 2013 and I am in possession of the 2nd operational Cointerra unit.

1. Bitsnpieces

Re: I can confirm Cointerra is shipping

Pics or it didn't happen

9. southen bastard

does anyone know why?

does anyone know why these hash calcs are so veluble?

What the hash calcs are part of? And what makes them so valnble?

Got to be some reason as "your never get somthing for nothing"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like