back to article Facebook unwraps Paper, a content-hoover application

Facebook has announced a new application that is designed to get more people to donate more information to the social network, and to let more people spend more time viewing the ad-wrapped content. The "Paper" smartphone app was announced by Facebook in a blog post on Thursday as part of a new strategy by the company to gather …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark 85

Oh god....

gag me with a warm puppy after that press release.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh god....

Overload, overload, explosion imminent...... The End.

2. Gannettt

Re-read the article, but still don't quite understand what this app does. Definitely a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, unless that problem is "not enough revenue".

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

still don't quite understand what this app does

It's an online newspaper, published by Facebook. Themed sections ("such as sports, food, and science"), with the equivalent of columnists and wire services ("mix of content from emerging voices and well-known publications").

Personally, I think it sounds dreadful. But then I still insist on reading my newspaper in paper form, delivered to my doorstep every morning. And while my local paper is no gem of the industry (it's owned by one of the usual suspects, and depends heavily on second-rate content from the soft-news services), it does at least employ professional writers, photographers, and editors, and pay people to do actual research into actual stories I might actually have some interest in.

Kids, lawn, &c.

3. dssf

Great...

More CPU-intensive distraction from subversive/invasive slurping from our devices by any app able to get under the "radar"...

4. depicus

Looks good

Looks quite interesting and while there seems to be a lot of hatred for Facebook here (I can think of more evil companies - looking at you Google) I can see this being quite popular if it works as advertised. Thankfully unlike G+ i'm not forced to use this, indeed it's not coming to the UK on the 3rd so we will have to actively hunt it down.

5. ckm5

Why not just buy Flipboard?

Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds like they are re-inventing the wheel...

1. Rob

Re: Why not just buy Flipboard?

Sorry, I had to downvote you, I use Flipboard and I like it, I don't won't Zuck & Co buying and destroying it.

6. ravenviz Silver badge
    Trollface

Good idea!

I love The Pope, me, I'm going to join Facebook Papal* so soon as possible!

*oo-er, looks a bit like Paypal!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like