back to article New Doctor Who's new costume newly REVEALED by Beeb

The BBC has taunted bereft Doctor Who fans with the first images of their new Doctor, Peter Capaldi, in costume. Peter Capaldi in costume as Doctor Who El Reg won't hazard a guess as to how much Crombie and Doc Marten paid to be mentioned by name in the teaser, but while the new Doctor's dark blue trousers and white shirt …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Khaptain Silver badge

Right wingish

Cut his hair a bit shorter and we would have the first skinhead Doctor....

On the whole looks quite cool though, it's clean and dynamic.

1. JDX Gold badge

it's slick and stylish and grown-up

Because he's an old man :)

Looks OK to me although his legs don't seem right. And I don't like trousers that don't match

2. h4rm0ny

Re: Right wingish

"Cut his hair a bit shorter and we would have the first skinhead Doctor...."

Second skin-head Doctor. Matt Smith went skin in Time of the Doctor. Although he put a wig on afterwards.

As to the costume - I was hoping for something a bit less trendy and a bit more dishevelled. I'm happy if this Doctor is a bit less gabbly-look-at-me-i'm-so-zany, but it would be fun if they went a bit more rambly / disorganized, rather than serious-mature.

1. pyite

Eccleston wasn't exactly a hippie.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I was thinking more ageing Showaddywaddy.

:-D

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great

My Crombie is now back in fashion....

Now all that's needed is a new theme tune, 'God Save The Queen' perhaps or even 'Pretty Vacant'

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Great

Because of Dr Who? No...

3. dan1980

Nice pose

Is Malcolm Tucker auditioning for a boy band?

4. poopypants

Is this the start

of more product placement? Who knows.

5. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Wossa Crombie coat?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Tut tut, you must have been born after the 1980's

On a separate note, I'm surprised he's not wearing a pair of red bondage trousers!

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Coat

He'll be wondeing about

'tonic' coloured suits soon.

mines the Parka with 'The Who' in felt tip on the back. Perfect for my LI-150 and the commute to work. :)

6. GrumpyOldMan

DMs...Hmmmm

From my 80's experience, DMs were THE most comfortable shoes (boots) I'd ever worn, however once the sole wore out - which didn't take that long - you couldn't repair them. Hopefully times have changed.

He does look a bit mean though. My kids will be happy. Wifey not so... (not a fan!)

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: DMs...Hmmmm

Couldn't agree more about the comfort of DMs. To this day I still buy shoes with a wide fit because that's what DMs provided me with at the time.

I still remember the day I unboxed my first pair of boots, the smell, lacing them up and walking round the block, the dogs bollocks in all glory.......

I was in Edinburgh recently and saw a Dr Martens shops on Princess Street, popped in for nostalgias sake and was stunned by the "cheap" feel of what they are producing now.

I did some Googling on the subject later only to find out that almost all are now made in China or Thailand. Apparently some are still made int he UK but are difficult to find.

1. Mike Ozanne

Yes, industrial toe- capped DM's fit like slippers and put a bounce in your step. Unfortunately most DM's nowadays are cheap Vietnamese knock-offs charged at full price. Pay extra for the English built ones or go for Solovairs or Treadairs

2. Cliff

>>... almost all are now made in China or Thailand. Apparently some are still made int he UK but are difficult to find.<<

Economics - people buying cheaper from the Far East, you either join in or die.

That said, if you go to the DM website you can get the British made lines from them direct, there are several, and they are every bit as good as they used to be. I still wear them for daily comfort boots, but for fancywear have migrated to Ducker & Sons (still UK made)

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"From my 80's experience, DMs were THE most comfortable shoes (boots) I'd ever worn,"

Same here, until I tried on a pair of Eccos - and walked out of the shop in them. The soles last a lot longer too.

1. Chz

Sadly Ecco's quality has gone downhill lately as well. I was mildly surprised to find the soles of the current pair had cracked after only 15 months or so. I was *very* surprised to head online and find that this is common now!

Still bloody comfortable shoes, and there are precious few options for those of us with wide feet in terms of buying off the rack. I've pretty much been "stuck" (not really, I don't mind it at all) with Airwalk and Ecco for years.

7. RISC OS

I thought the doctor came from galifrey...

... not brighton

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: I thought the doctor came from galifrey...

Both equally alien environments!

(I went to uni there).

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The coat is reminiscent of Pertwee's cape, but evidently the look has been bought into the 21st century.

I wonder if Capaldi has any tattoos? :)

9. frank ly

The Daleks said ....

... Exfoliate! Exfoliate!

10. thomas k.

Grats to Capaldi

for snagging the role of Dr Who. I only know him from The Thick of It but he did a bang-up job as MT and it would be nice to see him as a good guy so, hopefully, it will air in America. Never seen Dr Who but I understand it's quite an institution over there and thus a plum assignment for him.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: Grats to Capaldi

"Never seen Dr Who but I understand it's quite an institution over there and thus a plum assignment for him."

It's very much an institution. We had a cinema release for the 50th Anniversary episode and the cinemas were having to open up extra screens and it was booked up over a week in advance round our way. The crowd when I went was probably around 40% teenagers (of which slightly more girls than boys, I'd say) and then the remainder was a complete span of all ages up to around mid-fifties, with a small smattering of older. I'd say above the teenage level it was roughly an even gender split, maybe slightly more men than women so an inverse of the teenage set. But not especially pronounced in either case. It really does span everyone in this country other than, I guess, recent immigrants.

11. EddieD

Crombie coats...

...are very expensive. I think the one he's got is about £800.

1. NogginTheNog

Re: Crombie coats...

Ha! Yeah like THEY bought it...

1. EddieD

Re: Crombie coats...

Aye, I was going to say that's why the name-checked them, to get them free...but my boss came in and I had to suddenly look like I was working...

12. Andrew Moore

Bugger...

I'm going to have that Alexei Sayle song stuck in my head all day...

1. JimmyPage Silver badge

Re: Bugger...

From memory ... (CAK!)

"There's only one thing that unites us,

it's not colour creed or roots.

The only thing that unites us

Is Doctor Martens boots ...."

1. Darryl
        Thumb Up

Thanks for that... Only Alexei song I could get off the top of my head was 'Didn't you kill my brother?' which made no sense whatsoever

1. DiViDeD

You're lucky, I immediately had 'Hello John, got a new motor?' in my head, which then transmogrified into that bloody awful Toshiba Ad!

I think I need a lie down

13. taxman

He's missing

for a SH the red braces and the shirt should be a Ben Sherman checked short sleeved. And those trousers!!! Bring back the Levi jeans with turnup. And Monkey Boots.

More a Smoothie look, but he needs the porkpie hat and No6 'ticket'.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

for true innovation

How about a Doctor with more than one outfit in his wardrobe. Love to see some historical episodes (an alien free one would be nice) where he + associate(s) dress to blend in.

1. Paul Kinsler

Re: for true innovation / dress to blen in

hmm ... so maybe some episodes in pre-revolutionary France?

2. Atonnis

Re: for true innovation

Bah! The Doctor never changes to blend in. It's a part of his ongoing character that he both blends in and stands out by just being himself.

3. Roj Blake Silver badge

Re: for true innovation

I recall Tom Baker dressing up as Sherlock Holmes during The Talons of Weng-Chiang, which was set in Victorian London.

And Leela actually wore some clothes in the same story.

15. Robert Grant

Remember that bit in the IT Crowd

when Jen goes out with the guy who looks like a magician?

Yeah.

1. Havin_it

Re: Remember that bit in the IT Crowd

Yup, nailed it ;)

Though this was more true of Jon Pertwee's look as I remember it. In fact my first impression of this was a toned-down Pertwee. Which is fine by me: a rather oft-overlooked Doctor in my book.

Also, going with what Einstein (I think) said about magic, the Doctor kinda sorta IS a magician, to us backward apes at any rate, no?

1. h4rm0ny

>>"Also, going with what Einstein (I think) said about magic, the Doctor kinda sorta IS a magician, to us backward apes at any rate, no?"

Assuming you're thinking of the quote I think you're thinking of, then it was Arthur C. Clarke who wrote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".

Honestly, if you don't know who said something, don't just make up a name. People do this all the time and it just spreads disinformation. If it's vaguely sciency, people pick the name Einstein if they don't know. If it's vaguely period and funny, people assume it was Oscar Wilde. If they're especially well-read they'll occasionally claim it was Dorothy Parker.

History contains more than three people, you know.

1. Robert Grant

Any sufficiently quoted individual is indistinguishable from Einstein?

2. Havin_it

Oh h4rmy, I'm sorry. It was a weak (and drunk) moment. My Oxford Dictionary of Quotations was over the other side of the salon but at that moment it seemed as 'twere the dark side of the moon. I swear it won't happen again. In the words of Monty Python, I'm honestly so fucking sorry.

I think Oscar Wilde said it best...

16. sorry, what?
    IT Angle

Good scalp treatment and careful eating required

Otherwise this suit will nicely show up all those flakes and glossop stains...

Something I realized when reading this article - the Doctor doesn't treat his clothes like us humans do. I mean, we tend to change them most days. Why does he have to have one set (a "costume")? Sure, he can have his favourite, but what gives?

Oh, and "where's the IT angle"? Perhaps it is that the cloth has been treated to create a fractal surface in order to repel dirt?

17. Benchops

> do we know anyone else with an iconic coat that's blue with some red detailing?

I can think of Mendoza from the Mysterious Cities of Gold. (really it was a cape). Who were you thinking of?

1. Tim Elphick
      Coat

Re: > do we know anyone else with an iconic coat that's blue with some red detailing?

Do we? WHO is it?

I liked Ecclestone, maybe this will be more in that direction.

1. John Gamble

Re: > do we know anyone else with an iconic coat that's blue with some red detailing?

Be nice; most of us have only seen him in black-and-white, if we've seen him at all.

My puzzlement come from the lack of yellow stitching on those shoes that are supposed to be Doc Martins. Yellow stitching is necessary.

18. Titus Aduxass

Peter Capaldi

I haven't watched Dr Who since the days of John Pertwee but Capaldi is such a great actor I'm planning on watching the new series.

I can't beleive I'm going to watch it again after nearly 40 years!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Peter Capaldi

Hmmmm! If his playing of Malcolm Tucker is anything to go by, is this going to be the first foul-mouthed Doctor Who?

19. Eguro

Somehow I feel like he needs a walking stick or perhaps some other form of hand held accessory (and no - I'm not saying he needs a purse or a stethoscope or anything silly like that), I just feel like it'd fit with the outfit.

Perhaps it'll be better when I see him with a screwdriver...

20. Nigel Whitfield.

It's the pelvic thrust ...

.... that really drives me insane

21. Mad Hobbit

a bit siniser looking

when I first saw this I thought he looked a bit evil,if they are following Who Lore, this Doctor turns evil, and

tried to take the extra regens from the 6th Doctor "Trial of the Time Lord", It could be Moffett is going to have this Doctor be dark,and evil. It is the kind of twist he would like.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

product naming

"El Reg won't hazard a guess as to how much Crombie and Doc Marten paid to be mentioned by name in the teaser,"

Don't think that's allowed under BBC rules....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/editorialguidelines/page/guidelines-editorial-integrity-product-placement is about placement in programmes but doesn't mention other instances. perhaps naming the products saves time spent on answering calls from fans asking what exactly he's wearing.

23. Tom 13

That outfit doesn't work for me.

It looks like he bought it right off the back of a fashion show model. The Doctor can certainly be well tailored (Pertwee and Davidson come to mind) but there's always supposed to be something just a little off about his outfit (50 years out of date, or a stick of celery in the button hole). This one doesn't have something that is somehow out of place except for the Doctor making it his mark.

24. Chad H.

it looks like what Jon Pertwee's doctor would have worn if the Brig didnt let him off the base until he "dressed normal".

25. Mark Simon

By Autumn, do you mean Spring?

For those of us who are at the Antipodes … Or is this another time warp?

26. pyite

Only one thing missing

He needs a piece of celery on his lapel.

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: Only one thing missing

agreed! I was taken aback at the "cricketer" not being considered one of the "serious" Doctors. On the whole, I thought #5 was altogether more serious than many of the others (especially some who came after).

This topic is closed for new posts.