back to article US megalocorp AT&T: We're NOT swallowing Blighty's Vodafone

Speculation that AT&T was shopping for Vodafone as an entry into the European market has been brought to an end after an exec ruled it out. At the request of the Takeover Panel, the independent body which regulates the city of London code on takeovers, AT&T has said that it will not pursue Vodafone. The takeover panel refused …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rob

Clarification

So when you are talking about T-Mobile and the possibility of AT&T making inroads to Europe, I'm assuming that this would exclude T-Mobile UK? As they are now part of EE and the T-Mobile part is just a brand rather than a separate company?

I find the whole EE, Orange, T-Mobile ménage à trois a little confusing as a customer. I signed up with Orange thinking I'd get the same level of service I got from T-Mobile, alas no, I'm now counting the days I leave Orange.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Clarification

I'd love to see you all in Europe get the atrocious service and high cost that AT&T "provide" to those of us forced to use them (by company policy, in my case) in the US.

Expect to have no signal at all in central London (as I do in central Manhattan), and to drop 4-5 calls a day. And expect to pay north of 100 UKP a month for that privilege.

1. James 51

I hope not. That is one Americanisation we can do without.

2. auburnman

I did recall AT&T had a dreadful reputation across the pond. If they slurped my provider the alarm klaxons would be going at full pelt and I'd be looking at alternatives.

3. Kerry Hoskin

we already do have this service its called EE

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Correction

and found itself out-manoeuvred in 1999 when Vodafone slurped Mannesmann itself along with Orange…

It wasn't really outmanoeuvred as outspent by a massive, unsanctioned rights issue. Clever shareholders cashed in (some making tenfold profits in a year) and left dupes (and taxpayers) to suffer the writedown of goodwill.

3. Tommy Pock

I don't blame them

Vodafone aren't - and won't be - stocking the LG G2

4. ad47uk

thank goodness for that

From what I have been told about AT & T we don't need them over here, we got enough problems with companies as it is.

Not that I am planning to stay with vodafone much longer,

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never been an AT&T mobile customer

But they are rather infamous for dropped calls, etc. Even in the middle of big cities. Their mobile customer service is supposed to be pretty indifferent too.

So UK mobile users might have dodged a bullet on that one.

To be fair, they treat their residential phone equipment customers wonderfully. I once had the pipes burst above my apartment. The kitchen ceiling collapsed onto my at&t phone and trashed it. AT&T replaced it under warranty with no questions asked, which I thought was shocking under the circumstances.

6. Jay 2
    Meh

AT&T in Europe

AT&T (or at least the original AT&T, opposed to at&t of now) didn't seem to do very well on this side of the pond. Having worked for them twice in various guises I have found this out the hard way.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like