back to article Gmail falls offline, rest of Google struggles on: NO! Not error code 93!

Netizens complained today that Google's social network Plus was knackered and the webmail service Gmail fell completely offline. In a painful twist of fate, the systems went down just as Google's crack site-reliability team was preparing for a live question'n'answer session on Reddit. And it came after strangers' email …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rick Giles
    Black Helicopters

That's what they get

for wanting to tell the NSA "NO!".

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. I'm Brian and so's my wife
        Headmaster

Re: That's what they get

Got their what before you?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gaaaaah!

This is happening on a Friday Night (Brazilian Time)! Guess I'll have to go get a beer instead of wasting time on google+ then.

3. Terkanil
    FAIL

Just the social aspects?

So far I'm seeing G+, Gmail, and Hangouts all dead. However, if you use Google Talk, you can chat with contacts.

1. Steven Raith

Re: Just the social aspects?

Gmail is up for me, G+ is out, throwing 500 errors in the content frame.

I've got a bottle of wine and a NAS of por...er, I mena, technical white papers, so what do I care?

Steven R

1. Random Coolzip

That would be technically blue papers, surely.

2. GregC

The Youtube Android app was reporting 503's earlier, though it seems to have recovered now. Gmail and plus still FUBAR for me though.

Oh well, as they used to say on the telly - go out and do something less boring instead!

4. Tsunamijuan

12:09pst service up partially

Its up partially, you can login again, an you can receive mail but currently can't send anything. There is an extended delay in receiving mail aswell.

I am in northern Northern California.

1. Anomalous Cowturd
      Meh

Re: 12:09pst service up partially

Gmail send and receive now working here.

Youtube was slow earlier...

5. Anon5000

Really

Yahoo is in no position to take the piss out of Gmail considering the state their own service has been in for some time now.

The sooner encrypted email services become common with encrypted connections between servers, the quicker people will move away from Yahoo and Gmail, who won't want to do it due to their business model. A win for all!

1. Fihart

Re: Really @Anon5000

Yahoo is really up a creek.

Not only alienated users with forced march out of Yahoo Classic. New version still doesn't support all browsers. Outages (or massive slowdowns) occasionally. Had problem with attachments. Now find that my mails to one contact (or perhaps more, because the first instance was only reported to me in person days later) are being rejected by SpamCop.

6. DLSmith

Gmail has been working for me all day. Just got a few emails from my Gmail account. It's 3:25 PM EST here, I think PST is 3 or 4 hours behind.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Updated A Netizens are fandroid is complaining that Google's social network Plus is knackered..."

TFTFY

8. WibbleMe

Look its friday night Im sure the employees at Google have learn there lesson that getting drunk and jumping on the server racks is not a good idea

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google+ actually went down a fortnight ago

It just took until today for anybody to notice

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Google+ actually went down a fortnight ago

What is Google+ ? Never heard of it before.

1. Steven Raith

Re: Google+ actually went down a fortnight ago

It's some kind of calculator, I think.

10. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

Eggs?

Baskets.

11. Vociferous

Still having problems.

Currently Google+ is crawling, it takes about five minutes to load my Youtube channel.

12. Levente Szileszky

It was ~20 minutes...

...and Calendar, Drive etc was still working (my phone's Gmail client seemed to be syncing as well.).

Very annoying but it was the first one that affected us in years and I still consider us luckier than users having to deal with Microsoft's hours-long, system-wide outages...

13. Breen Whitman

Reports are starting to trickle in that Google has fallen out with the NSA, and several data centers have been destroyed in drone strikes.

1. willi0000000

Breen Whitman,

don't keep me in suspense. which side is winning?

2. Tom_

Google's Big Dog retaliatory strike imminent.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As somebody who had the displeasure of using Office 365 for a year, let me tell you that this outage was nothing compared with Microsoft's disaster. Monthly (at least) calls to get one component or another fixed (be it Lync, Exchange free/busy, etc.), having to go through the same diagnostic procedure with their tech support each time, only to have it fixed by "resetting my account". IMAP that takes up to one minute to authenticate. IPv6 addresses live in their DNS for services that are not listening on that address. I could go on...

1. CAPS LOCK

A downvote? Really?

Microsoft astroturfers at work.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I use Office 365 at an SME and have only seen 1 brief issue in the last year, so you must be unlucky...

At least the Microsoft Office 365 products are much better than Borg Apps. Documents actually display correctly for a start....

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So, I was wondering where all the MS fanboys were decrying Google as the Google fanboys do everytime an MS service makes the slightest outage. You, however have turned a story about a Google outage into an excuse for an anti-MS rant. Amazing.

15. scrubber

Gmail

Back into beta?

1. Not That Andrew

Re: Gmail

Did it ever officially come out of Beta?

1. scrubber

Re: Gmail

They took the label off - although there was something in Labs that allowed you to put it back on, but I think that's gone now.

http://googleblog.blogspot.co.uk/2009/07/google-apps-is-out-of-beta-yes-really.html

16. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like