back to article Speaking in Tech: Is this a mascot convention? Oh ... my God

speaking_in_tech Greg Knieriemen podcast enterprise Our regular podcast, this week recorded live in San Jose, California, is back with your hosts Greg Knieriemen and Ed Saipetch – Sarah Vela is away. Before getting down to the technology news of the day, Greg reveals he just checked into a hotel that he thought was holding …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Personally...

...I can't wait to see FC2014 covered in The Reg's usual style, even if unofficially via a Youtube channel.

Hilarity should ensue. Believe it or not, there's a small minority of furries out there who know exactly how batshit they are and have something of a sense of humour.

Anonymous because how else do you think I know of that minority within a minority? Ahem.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Personally...

Indeed.

Also, looking at the attendees of tech events (CES, Build, E3 etc) the clientele are really not that much different in terms of being a bit mental. Though maybe (hopefully?) there is less emphasis on sex.

1. Greg J Preece

Re: Personally...

Hilarity should ensue. Believe it or not, there's a small minority of furries out there who know exactly how batshit they are and have something of a sense of humour.

Hell yes. I had a bunch of friends down there. Having said that, the furry fandom is very much against media coverage in general, having been burned far too many times. Honestly, what people think it is and what it actually is are two very different things, and what turns up on CSI or Dr Phil or any of that other crap is exactly that....crap.

2. Vociferous

I don't know if Furries are the fastest growing fetish in the world

...or if they're just very, very, very enthusiastic about "getting their message out", but they and their subgroups (bronies, diaper furries, baby furries and on and on and on) are freaking everywhere.

Happily, I've been told by not-at-all reliable furry sources that only a minority of furries actually want to fuck animals, the majority want to fuck humans which look like animals.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't know if Furries are the fastest growing fetish in the world

It's growing fast because it's incredibly mainstream now. Hell - it's been mentioned in so much popular culture now that pretty much anyone who's been online for more than a year knows about it's existence.

And yeah there are lots of subcultures under 1 collective banner, with lots of cross over with other things (everything from piston heads to trekkies to BDSM folks). Either way, it's mostly all good, harmless fun and not really any different from any other fandom. And the drama is hilarious :)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Happily, I've been told by not-at-all reliable furry sources

Happily what you've been told, or happily that they're unreliable....?

Wouldn't want to think you're a... speciesist!

(joke icon n/a for a/c of course)

1. Vociferous

> Happily what you've been told, or happily that they're unreliable....?

Happily in the sense that they probably wont molest my cat.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't know if Furries are the fastest growing fetish in the world

Probably not, because it's not a fetish, per se. As a fur myself (and a brony, incidentally), I'm not going to claim that the fetish doesn't exist, but the fetish is a subset of the fandom. Just as not all Englishmen are Brummies, not all furries are fetishists. Some just really really like the art, or the literature, or the people. It's a much more loose term than that.

The biggest problem the fandom has, in my opinion, is people taking it too seriously. We're folks that draw anthro art and dress up as animals to act silly. Taking yourself seriously is an absolute death-knell.

Oh, and furry != bestiality. I have only heard of one furry who was actually into bestiality, and the furs think that's downright weird. (Yeah, I know, but that's seriously the case. There's a reason furs are anthro.)

1. Vociferous

> it's not a fetish, per se

Yeah, sure it isn't. It's like with those middle-aged men who are really in to japanese girl pop, they just like to look at young girls dancing in school uniforms, nothng sexual about it at all.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I did explain myself fairly clearly, and I didn't try to deny that the fandom had a sexual side. If you would prefer the suppositions of the Internet and made up nudge-wink rumours over the honest account of an actual fandom member, that's your problem.

This topic is closed for new posts.