back to article US can't get its hands on Navy hacker Victor Faur, aka SirVic

A Slovenian court has declined America's request to extradite hacker Victor Faur, on the basis that he's already received a sentence in Romania. Faur gained notoriety for breaking into US Navy, NASA and Department of Energy systems in 2005 and 2006. Tried and convicted in Romania, he received a 16 month suspended sentence and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. asdf

bad for him

Wonder if Obama is going to pull a Bush and start threatening to withhold goodies from our bought off Eastern Europe "allies" if they don't do what he tells them. Wouldn't surprise me at this point. No Star Wars defense pork 4 joo.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a.k.a "No SirVics for seamen"

3. tkioz

Sounds fair to me. A person shouldn't be punished for the same crime twice.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

The Great Game makes a Quantum Communication Leap into Secure Intelligence Space Servers

Sounds fair to me. A person shouldn't be punished for the same crime twice..... tkioz Posted Wednesday 22nd January 2014 04:39 GMT

Extradition for the purpose of recruitment and proprietary intellectual property transfer/access/sharing ..... the next grand design and cipher blockbuster and new fangled entanglement app for forces all at sea and lost in C/Virtual Wwworld Order Play?

Y'all do know the Base Great Game, according to history and Wikipedia, yo? ......... The Great Game

Seems we be on not dissimilar wavelengths, dssf, with the proof being in the posting of Wednesday 22nd January 2014 06:04 GMT.

4. dssf

Did he steal or damage anything, or just find holes and admonish them to fix them?

Man, sometimes people just are ungrateful.

If he didn't damage, destroy, diminish, or publish the security flaws, then good on him, and bad on them for looking a gift horse in the mouth and crying foul. One'd think that agencies striving for constantly-improved security would say, "Thanks! But, next time, get a Test Requisition Chit" instead of globally hunting down someone who could be converted into an asset more smoothly.

I admit I did not follow the matter and so my shoot-from-the-hip bit may need some re-tuning (coerced or ham-fisted retuning roundly rejected...).

5. kiwimuso
    Facepalm

Wow!

U.S. Government departments REALLY do not like having the piss taken out of their lack of security, do they!

As dssf says, ungrateful lot. Ah, but you didn't follow the rules that we set up for testing - or in this case not bothering to test - obviously!

In fact, having lived in Texas for a for a couple of years and come up against this sort of bureaucratic crap, I have concluded that a prerequisite for anyone working for a U.S. government department is to have had a frontal lobotomy to remove both common sense and any sense of humour (or in their case humor).

The U.K. has an excellent term for these sort of people - jobsworths, where their only qualification is to be able to follow rules.

1. kiwimuso
      Black Helicopters

Re: Wow!

Whoops! Perhaps I should have posted that anonymously, but still, how could they ever track me d.......

6. Pen-y-gors

But, but, but...

Surely under US law it's perfectly legal to hack foreigners computers? And therefore vice-versa, so no case to answer.

1. AbeSapian

Re: But, but, but...

Actually, it's just as illegal for a person in the U.S. to hack a foreign computer as it is to hack a domestic one (unless you work for the NSA).

7. Measurer

Guantanamooooww.......!!!

Here he comes

8. EPurpl3

“Surely under US law it's perfectly legal to hack foreigners computers? And therefore vice-versa, so no case to answer.“

Don't forget to mention that even spying innocent people via Facebook and Google by NSA is legal and moral for them

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like