back to article Romanian Bitcoin baron 'stumps up $20k to keep OpenBSD's lights on'

A mysterious Bitcoin-powered white knight is reported to have come to the rescue of the struggling OpenBSD Foundation. Described as a Romanian billionaire, an individual named Mircea Popescu has offered to bail out the OpenBSD Foundation. The Foundation responsible for maintaining OpenBSD is $20,000 in the red over an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    WTF?

20'000?

Which are missing??

That's like "cents" to fatcats.

2. Tom 38
    WTF?

OpenBSD is important […]. It’s also included in a number of popular third-party packages that include SQL Lite, BIND, Sendmail and the Lynx web browser.

WTF? "SQL Lite" "includes" OpenBSD?

a) "sqlite". You've misspelt it and added a space.

b) Seriously, wtf.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Have to agree. Seriously.. wtf.

Might as well say a can of petrol includes a bloody car.

2. Irongut
      Thumb Down

Yeah they did that in the related article last week as well. Seems someone decided to let the tea boy write articles.

3. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

I wonder if the author is confusing OpenBSD and OpenSSL.

1. Volker Hett

They are somewhat entangled.

You better observe them immediately, then.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've had someone chew me out before now for writing software as a living.

You know, creating software that then provides money for food, rent, heating, etc.

This is the downside to free stuff - no money to pay your bills.

Holmes

The solution is "sponsoring"

Whole so-called "not for profits" survive very well indeed using that policy and there is still money left at the end of the year for a bottle of Chardonnay.

Someone must have trouble building up a network of sponsor and hitting up people for donations.

4. Charles Manning

Why no Apple?

Considering how much *BSD is important to Apple, I am surprised they can't find 20k hidden in their pocket lint.

Yes, I know Apple don't use OpenBSD directly, but the "ecosystem" of *BSD developers out there does help to provide them with a pool of talent to draw on.

The death of OpenBSD would hurt Apple far more than 20k.

Re: Why no Apple?

Quite so.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hey Apple-bashing commentards .... how about doing your homework !

The death of OpenBSD would not affect apple at all because, repeat after me ....

OS X is NOT based on OpenBSD.

Got it ?

Go read up on Nextstep, the core of OS X

1. Joseph Lord
        Facepalm

Lots of wrongness to go around here.

OS X, iOS, Linux (even most other BSDs) are not "based on OpenBSD". However the OpenBSD project includes some VERY widely used subprojects; particularly OpenSSL and OpenSSH which you may may have used on many other platforms.

3. Merlin54

Hmmm... it's actualy NetBSD, not OpenBSD.

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"OpenBSD is important because it’s widely used in firewalls, other edge servers, email, DNS and intrusion detection servers for its security."

Considering only the list above, there's a lot of commercial manufactures/suppliers building and selling that kit which, thanks a decent and very secure free OS helps them provide a potentially decent product with a lot less outlay than it might otherwise cost them.

I'd have thought at least some of them would be offering decent sized donations as a matter of course so as to secure the continuing development of a major component of their products.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like