back to article Apple hires medical techies, raises spectre of iStuff slurping data direct from your bloodstream

Apple has hired two new faces from the medical tech world as it steps up its drive to develop wearable iThings. The fruity firm poached Nancy Dougherty from startup Sano Intelligence, which is developing a patch sensor which can painlessly monitor the chemical makeup of a patient's bloodstream. This would be useful for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it wrong that I want wearable tech to hook up with dating sites so that I can brag about my prowess?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I suppose it's cheaper than buying a Porsche.

2. Simon Harris
      Flame

Only if it uses the NASA computer technology that confuses metric and imperial measurements, so your prowess is measured in cm, but reported as if they're inches.

3. Colin Millar
      Coat

Bragging about your prowess

How about a smart overcoat that measures how much it expands and how long it stays expanded eh? - and then spaffs (sorry) your performance stats in real time.

2. Mondo the Magnificent
    Go

Perhaps...

...it's a technology to prevent people from taking "selfies" and sending dumb assed iMessenger / Text messages, Tweets or Facebook updates when they are under the influence of narcotics and/or alcohol

That technology in itself could well be a life saver..

3. Seanie Ryan

tactics

Apple should randomly hire 1 or 2 people from weird industries just to mess with Google and M$ and Samsung.

next month hire someone from boeing and Quantas, so they will all think its to do with Airlines and then rush to spend/waste money on the next 'device' that dumb ANALysts predict.

Then in few months hire 2 from budwieser or Guinness.

Fun fun fun

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: tactics

I thought that's what they were doing...

4. frank ly
    Coat

An iThing a day keeps the doctor away

iCoat: As fast as I can.

5. david willis

Obvious

Theoretically its not a bad idea.

Wristwatches maintain skin contact (depending on how tight the stap is and avoiding people like Derren Brown) they are next to a good pulse point, and good bloodflow (as long as your arm is attatched).

Having heart rate, Blood Pressure, blood sugar levels etc available on your watch (along with the time), certainly beats trying to stream a move to a 1" screen, trying to look cool and hip ( a la Dick Tracy) whist shouting at your hand, or trying to use that bloody calculator function that needs a "your fingers are too fat" stylus, but even then you won't be able to read the result. (yes I had one of the latter... a LONG time ago)

6. Darryl
    Gimp

monitors heart rate, respiration, motion, and temperature

Obvious use case? Measuring fanbois' reaction to the latest iThing announcement/rumour.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple might actually get some money out of me...

I have taken pride in never having purchased an Apple product as I prefer more open, unrestricted (and less rip-off) alternatives.

However if Apple manage to deliver a reliable product that can monitor blood glucose in a painless, unobtrusive way then they have a new convert. I would immediately buy one for my Type 1 diabetic daughter.

Seeing as the amount of diabetics in the world seems to be on an ever increasing upward trend, this could be a lucrative market for them.

Whilst Google's new acquisition of smart contact lenses sounds interesting, a patch would be preferable.

1. T. F. M. Reader

Re: Apple might actually get some money out of me...

I certainly see your point, but I would very much prefer such a device to have NO connectivity at all.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You wouldn't have to turn on any wifi or whatever in your "iMedWatch" if you wanted to use it for diabetic monitoring but didn't need/want any other features.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>I would very much prefer such a device to have NO connectivity at all.

What, not even USB connectivity so that you can look at graphs of glucose over time?

Fear about 3rd parties having your data are reasonable. Fears about 3rd parties obtaining your data through dodgy security implementation are reasonable. A point-blank dismissal of individuals collecting their own data, to be shared with whmo they choose (and so perhaps saving a district nurse from travelling to the thrice weekly)... a bit daft.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"You are about to go into hypoglycemic shock. Download 200GB iTunes update now?"

8. Sheep!

A whole new series of possible voice instructions....

Open the Bowel Bay doors Hal....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like