back to article NTT DoCoMo says two mobe OSes are enough, so sayonara to Tizen

The open-source Tizen mobile OS has suffered another setback, with Japanese mobile giant NTT DoCoMo announcing that it has put off plans to launch a smartphone powered by the system this year. The carrier had earlier said that it would launch a Tizen device in March. But according to a report in the Wall Street Journal on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Turtle

Who can vouch for that?

"'The market is not big enough to support three operating systems at this time,' DoCoMo's So Hiroki reportedly said"

Microsoft can vouch for that.

1. chekri

Re: Who can vouch for that?

Considering that Nokia US market share was > 5% for 2013 and its trajectory is up year on year, I'd say Microsoft won't vouch for that!

1. Richard Plinston

> US market share was > 5% for 2013

Microsoft phone US market share was > 40% for 2007

> its trajectory is up

"""In fact, the current WP US market share sitting at 4% is a fall from 5.6% in April 2013."""

http://www.mobilemag.com/2013/07/31/windows-phone-us-market-share-falls/

2. Charles Manning

Trajectory

Microsoft has been doing phones since 2001.

5% after 13 years is one hell of a trajectory. That even makes Zune look good.

2. Anonymous Coward 101

Microsoft had to spend vast sums of money to get to where they are. If Windows Phone was made by anybody else, it would have failed long ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Do you think that Google and Apple didn't spend vast sums in order to get where they are? Correspondingly because Nokia didn't spend vast sums hyping and developing Symbian is probably why it is where it is.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So what do they do, roll over and fail?

3. Jess

Re: If Windows Phone was made by anybody else, it would have failed long ago.

If Windows Phone was *bankrolled* by anybody else, it would have failed long ago.

3. larokus

Isn't it incredible just how fast the world forgot about Blackberry?

2. Captain DaFt

To paraphrase:

"Faint heart never won fair marketshare."

After all, didn't they say the same thing about the iPhone when the market was mostly Nokia and MS?

3. AndricD

Tizen is in the samsung NX cameras and in their upcoming flagship camera so they are definitly using it and developing it & drivers for at least the hardware in them

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only space for another mobile os here is..

The legacy keitai users.

I don't know about DoCoMo as I'm on AU but AU at least has dropped all of older keitai type handsets except super simple granny phones and phone/beacon products that you strap to the kiddy winks before they go off to school. While a lot of the 40 and 50 year olds have moved on to smart phones I think there are a lot of die hards that don't want a smartphone. Mainly because you're looking at going from 1500 yen a month for a no thrills plan (after paying off the handset) to a 8000+ yen a month unlimited data smartphone plan and you apparently can't move to a smart phone without a data plan any more (with AU at least).

If Tizen could be packaged into some lower end phones that left out most of the apps and data hungry stuff it could have a place as keitai++. There again if it doesn't have Puzzle Dragons it's basically dead on arrival in the Japanese market.

5. Zola
    FAIL

Tizen is a total basket case

Designed by committee, with an architecture that changes from one week to the next. One week it's Enlightenment, another it's Qt, this week? Who knows. Who even cares?

It's an OS that is driven by the vested interests of Intel and Samsung, not to mention mobile operators, and consequently it's a total mess from both a technical and ethical POV. It's supposed to be open, but all you get is massive code drops and fark all public discussion on technical issues or future direction - things just happen, deal with it, is the Tizen approach to "open" developer relations.

I doubt anyone will be disappointed to hear it's been delayed yet again. Is there anyone that actually wants Tizen to succeed? Apart from Samsung, of course, although I'm not entirely sure about Intel's motives...

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Re: Tizen is a total basket case

Given how dominant Google are should be just let them have monopolies in everything?

1. Zola

Given how dominant Google are should be just let them have monopolies in everything?

As outlined in the article, there are other options to Google - Firefox OS, Sailfish OS (which is showing a lot of promise), and maybe eventually one day Ubuntu Phone. I'd be much more supportive of those platforms as alternatives to Google than anything designed and controlled by Samsung, Intel and a cartel of cellular operators.

In fact, Android actually holds more appeal than Tizen, given the provenance of the latter.

2. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Sounds like Symbian...

3. Bob Vistakin
      Paris Hilton

Its the LibDem of smartphone OS's. Claims to support whatever fad is in vogue that particular week, but even when it finally does see the light of day gets totally steamrollered at every turn.

Paris, for she knows just what it means to be the big boys bitch.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DoCoMo's So Hiroki reportedly said

We can't be arsed, it doesn't matter if there are only two platforms and little consumer choice as long as they keep comming back to renew their contracts, only two platforms saves us money and increases our profits.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll hold a candle for Sailfish

If not a great deal of hope. It's a crowded market, with three platforms to develop for, thanks to a resurgent Microsoft. Why should bringing a new OS to the mobile be any easier than doing the same for the desktop?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'll hold a candle for Sailfish

IMHO they is a market for a mobile phone OS that is not beholden to a big corporation and had no backdoors for the likes of the NSA/FSB/GCHQ/etc.

If this is Sailfish then great.

I'd be prepared to accept a large loss of functionality just to have a phone that used voice encryption by default.

Sure the spooks would not like it but they can go and get stuffed for all I care. I just want my communications to be private.

1. Charles 9

Except GSM voice comma are ALREADY encrypted, just not strong enough to beat Big Brother. Thing is, it may never be given BB is the aggressor in essentially a siege (which historically favors aggressors as time passes). Plus the realtime nature of voice comms limits the available computing power for encryption.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Do you honestly think the "spooks" care enough to listen to your calls? Are you upset they might be sat in spook towers laughing as you call dominoes for the 7th night running and breath heavily down the phone to some premium rate sex chat line? Get over yourself.

1. Charles 9

Possibly. They could be making scapegoats, or someone could have a grudge (both have been documented to happen). Put it this way. Many people don't trust the government with ANYTHING pertaining to us without a PUBLIC search warrant, period.

3. Michael Habel

>implying that the "Spooks" just couldn't demand the Key in the first place

Further >implying that the even have to ask.....

8. Michael Habel

IMHO should Ubuntu make their Mobile OS, in such a way as to be compatible with its Desktop OS, and we're allowed to compile Code for, or perhaps better on? the Device(s) in question. Then I know which OS I'll be supporting then. Given that Moble = Touch. I'd suppose I'd have less reason to hate on unity then..

Kinda makes you wonder why MicroSoft didn't think of this? But, naaagh lets release this RT thingy instead...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like