back to article EE owners: Yeah, we're cool with things as they are... IPO? Nah, not really

The owners of Blighty's EE mobile operator have said that they're going to hang onto the company for now, delaying potential plans to float the firm or sell off their stakes. Germany's Deutsche Telekom and France's Orange said they want to maintain the current management structure of the joint venture, which was created in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fast internet is good - but only ever had use for it when I tether - so stick with 3G for my Orange UK contract - not interested in paying more.

Here in France I now have 4G - but at no extra charge.

1. localzuk Silver badge

I switched from a T-Mobile contract to EE 4G and ended up paying £1 a month less, for higher speeds. So, it doesn't always cost more.

1. graeme_from_IT

higher speed, less money - but how much data do you get per month - I'm guessing that it won't be more (or even the same....)

1. localzuk Silver badge

Less data allowance, yes, but then for my needs it is still more than enough for me.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

maybe they've discovered...

several million pound of extra unused credit just lying around, that they never knew they had.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/17/help_t_mobile_have_deleted_my_phone_credit/

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bummer

Bad news for employees and customers, then, if EE remain in the exit lounge whilst lard-arsed foreign overlords hang on, hoping for a better price. There will be no proper decision making for the UK business, limited investment, difficulty in retaining good senior staff, and anything that can be fixed with sticking tape and chewing gum will be.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surely you jest?

"... because they reckon that EE will be worth more when more Brits sign up to the 4G data packages"

Because that worked out so well with 3G didn't it? Like 3G before it, I'd be surprised if 4G didn't a remain minority interest until the comedy pricing ends.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Surely you jest?

"I'd be surprised if 4G didn't a remain minority interest until the comedy pricing ends."

Not to mention enough coverage for folk to actually use it outside the pilot areas.

Are there any decent (ie not operator-supplied) coverage maps? How about OpenSignal? Others?

OpenSignal shows that 4G coverage in the UK is a joke at the moment outside a few densely populated areas but then it is still relatively new.

OpenSignal also shows (e.g.) O2's 3G performing better (speed and latency) than 4G, which is not so obvious.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like