back to article Intel treads water despite drowning PC biz clinging to Chipzilla's legs

Intel beat analyst expectations on sales and missed on earnings as the world's largest chip designer had trouble tacking into the winds of change that are reshaping the world's tech market. Full-year revenues in 2013 were $52.7bn, with a gross margin of 59.8 per cent, down slightly on $53.3bn and 62.1 per cent a year ago. Net …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. BillG
    Happy

Full-year revenues in 2013 were $52.7bn, with a gross margin of 59.8 per cent, down slightly on $53.3bn and 62.1 per cent a year ago. Net income fell to $9.6bn from $11bn

O.K., to me, that's not cause for complaining...

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

That suggests some "imaginative accounting" - chip fabs do not make 60% profit margins

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@yaac - It was gross margin, not profit.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Signs of stabilization in the PC segment

There is also stabilization in the Pyramid building and Flint Axe making sectors.

1. larokus

Re: Signs of stabilization in the PC segment

That isn't the case at all. Growth in the Pyramid building scheme sector has skyrocketed in the last decade.

3. Morten Bjoernsvik
    Boffin

Upstart?

>Brit upstart ARM for a pittance, for example.

AFAIK ARM has been around since 1985, A very slow upstart to say the least. I believe they have licensed IP cores since atleas 1992.

4. P0l0nium

Oooh ... they missed earnings by $0.01!

Lets employ a teenager with a religious grudge to write an article full of hyperbole.

1. Tom 13

Re: Oooh ... they missed earnings by $0.01!

Headline I see says "treads water" which is in the $-0.05 to $0.05 per share range. What exactly is your issue?

Not a coffee drinker myself, but I'm told these days you can't tell the difference between defcafe and regular. On the tea front, I find several herbals are quite good.

1. Tridac

They have peaked, haven't they ?. All empires rise and fall as they become old, too slow and unwieldy to survive against those who are smarter and faster on their feet. Intel may not be dead, but they must innovate out of their complacency...

1. larokus

I'm quite sure in fact Intel continues to push the envelope for x86. Love it or hate it, (x86) Intel continues to drive the 'rate of shrinkage,' power efficiency and throughput, and is extremely competitive. If you are planning on building a PC in three years, you will almost certainly want the latest and greatest Intel cpu inside. I'd hardly call them complacent considering how they've manged to make x86 approaching ARM efficiency with the z2580 and it's predecessors which will certainly be more-so. Tri-gate or lightning anyone?

While praising a US firm in the land of EU competition in ARM may not prove popular, it is madness to call Intel a company lacking in innovation and focus.

5. Slawek

"Intel's mainstay PC division took another walloping, with flat revenues of $8.5bn, compared with $8.4bn the previous quarter and $8.5bn a year ago"

Really, flat revenue in a difficult environment is called "another walloping"?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Yes, it's interesting how its customers are taking a hammering while its profits remain stable. This is indicative of the market not functioning correctly. It can only be a matter of time before Dell, etc. either migrate en masse to AMD or pour enough into Android on ARM (offers more potential for differentiation outside the consumer electronics segment) to make it an attractive prospect: being able to cut out Intel chips and Windows licences would allow them to cut prices and have a chance of making a profit.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like