back to article Microsoft confirms: Staff inboxes hijacked amid 'Syrian army' cyber-blitz

Microsoft has finally admitted that an attack on two of its Twitter accounts and an official blog by a pro-Assad hacking group last weekend also compromised internal emails. The Syrian Electronic Army posted to its Twitter feed several screenshots of emails purportedly belonging to Microsoft employees including Steve Clayton, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

translation

"A social engineering cyberattack method known as phishing resulted in a small number of Microsoft employee social media and email accounts being impacted. "

= Some of our employees are not very bright.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

Re: translation

Do you mean their enterprise/domain administrators?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Trollface

Or, perhaps, their developers...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes - and this one should also have a technical education - but moved to sales and marketing... the right kind of people you target with a phishing attack, if you perform that well, they will be perfect "phishes".

It would be intersting to know how the attack was performed - it would be funny if they used some vulnerability for which a patch was available, or if he blindly clicked on an attachment named:

BeautyGirlsPics.zip     exe

(add more spaces between zip and exe, this site trims them)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not really - I saw Kevin Mitnick speak recently he said that he (and everyone else in the infosec community) have 100% success rate for pen tests when social engineering is allowed. The systems you put around preventing customer data being compromised is the key.

2. ukgnome
    Joke

Phishing?.....I heard that....

Someone phoned from windows claiming that the computers had a virus....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Phishing?.....I heard that....

I love messing with those guys, I try a different approach every time they call, sometimes short, sometimes I'll tie them up for quite some time - I work from home, so it's a nice break and every minute that I'm messing with them is a minute they're not trying to scam someone else.

3. Hans 1
    Pint

Need to buy more popcorn ... this new sequel is hilarious ...

Beer coz I got a pint in my hand, it's beer o'clock round 'ere ... ;-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like