back to article Dropbox outage was caused by 'buggy' upgrade: DDoS us? You hardly know us...

Pranksters latched onto an outage at Dropbox on Friday to push false rumours of a politically motivated hack. A group calling itself 1775Sec claimed that it had taken advantage of a vulnerability to knock out the widely used sync-and-share service. These claims were reported by sections of the media over the weekend. Dropbox …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ol'Peculier
    Mushroom

All weekend

I lost syncing pretty much over the entire weekend.

Not the end of the world for me, but it's a stark reminder of how much people rely on cloud based services.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

No, it's a stark reminder of how much you rely on cloud-based services.

Sane people don't rely on it, they use it when it's convenient and as a stopgap, temporary measure.

1. Ol'Peculier

I said that "it wasn't the end of the world for me" is because Dropbox is one way I move stuff between devices - I don't rely on it, as you rightly say it's convenient.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All weekend

"but it's a stark reminder of how much people rely on cloud based services."

Speak for yourself pal. If I have anything important it goes on a USB stick *as well as* an ftp server ... sorry "cloud service".

2. Turtle

Appropriate.

"'Did anyone bother to do some research. lol. We made the Internet Reporters look like fools! That is what we did in your honor Aaron Swartz,' the group said in a Twitter update."

It's more appropriate than they realize.

3. Bill the Sys Admin

Fools..?

They made themselves look like fools imo, but never mind.

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

1775Sec

All hail the new bunch of slef-important jackasses who will "entertain" us for the next few months by being uselessly disruptive and proving nothing, then either fade into obscurity or put the final FBI nail into their rickety coffin.

I look forward to forgetting you before the end of the year.

1. Captain Scarlet
      Meh

Re: 1775Sec

Well they got their 5 minutes of fame

1. Stephen W Harris

5 minutes is only 300Sec; these guys are greedy and want almost a whole half hour.

2. John G Imrie

Well it's slightly more clever than updating the wikipedia pages of the recently departed famous to see who can get the most outrageous claim into a published obituary.

3. Tom 13

If they even manage to temporarily delay the cut and paste faction of the news these days I will hail them as heroes, if just for one day.

5. MissingSecurity
    Trollface

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

Yes .... Yes I was.

6. pacman7de

Outage post-mortem ..

"A subtle bug in the script caused the command to reinstall a small number of active machines. Unfortunately, some master-slave pairs were impacted which resulted in the site going down".

https://tech.dropbox.com/2014/01/outage-post-mortem/

7. PeterM42

Don't care what anyone says........

Dropbox is EXCELLENT.

Occasional outage? - well it is a "cloud" service, so should not be relied on 100%. And as someone said, if it's THAT important, do a backup somewhere else.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like