back to article West Yorks rolls out cop cams, ignoring plod nod probs

West Yorkshire police are to spend £160,000 equipping their coppers with head-mounted video cameras, despite Dorset police finding that nodding police officers make shoulder-mounting more effective. The West Yorkshire project follows trials in Leeds, using cameras capable of 12 hours of continuous recording. The money will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. adnim

Change required

If police officers' actions are to be monitored, then something needs to change: Either the behaviour and arrogance of police officers to comply with the law, or the law to comply with the behaviour and arrogance of police officers.

If it only brings an end to the condescending and patronising bullshit spouted by officers and those ridiculous rhetorical questions they pose, then it will not be such a bad thing. It's hard work tolerating a ranting lecture from an intellectual inferior.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

iPlod

I want to see *every* cop, customs official, traffic warden, plastic plod and local council spy fitted with a plodcam. I want to see their entire daily movements put *unedited* onto a secure DB so that when someone complains about brutality or other illegal shenanigans then *we* the tax paying public get to see exactly what they were up to before, during and after the incident, and appropriate action taken against them. If people can get criminal records for having a wheeliebin a little bit overstuffed – then I’m looking forward to the day where Plod gets sent down for truncheoning an innocent bystander and customs officials sent down for being deliberately awkward, confrontational and provocative.

Do a search on YouTube for the US student who had a dashcam and got threatened with all kinds of nastiness by a lying cop. Priceless.

Mines is the coat, as Hell will have frozen over by the time we get some accountability back into out public *servants* .

3. Tonto Popaduopolos

@ adnim

'Ello, 'ello, 'ello? Did sir get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: iPlod

Don't worry, the day you ask for is coming.

Soon *every* cop, customs official, traffic warden, plastic plod and local council spy will be fitted with a plodcam and their entire daily movements will be put *unedited* onto a secure DB - along with everyone else's in the country. (if the Government get their way)

5. Mark York
    Paris Hilton

Nodding Plod

Can't believe you missed that pun.

Paris cause her head also nods (or bobs) a lot.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

@ Tony Chandler

@ Tony Chandler

You know, I wouldn’t mind that so much – as long as it was clear what was regarded “public” and “private”. Inside your home=private, on the street=public. On the public payroll makes your entire working day available as a part of public record (so excluding pee-pee time,lunchbreaks and personnel discussions with yer manager).

It’s the asymmetry of the data gathering that is the problem more than the actual gathering. Hence people feel very angry when they find out CCTV operators are sitting with cans of beer letching at M&S lingerie depts; more for the fact the operators are doing so with impunity. The public should have the right and opportunity to get recordings of the (publicly paid for) operator room, and if it’s seen that it’s a bunch of perverted f*cktards drunkenly w@nking off to women browsing for smalls – then bingo! Not only does it make good YouTube viewing – it also proves that all this State surveillance is voyeurism and almost nowt to do with “security”. Maybe then the sheeple of the so-called democratic societies will try and claw back some accountability back from their control-freak masters.

7. Jason Law
    Stop

Desk Cam

Of the 141,000* serving policemen, it would surely be much cheaper to fix cameras to the desks of the 131,000 office based coppers, only operating 9 - 5.30 in accordance with their "intelligence led**" activities.

Shouldn't imagine the 3-trillion hours of form-filling footage would be much use to anyone...

* Accurate - sadly.

** Not accurate - equally sadly.

8. David Cornes
    Paris Hilton

Tit on yer 'ead!

I imagine we'll soon see a rise in Yorkshire of the old sport of knocking the copper's helmet off! :-D

Paris, 'cos well she's just too good to overlook for some kind of helmet joke.

9. Louis Cowan

hang on

"People have been far more ready to plead guilty once they have seen footage of themselves committing their crime."

So the cops will be there watching these criminals at the time of the offence??? Bullfwaps!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Future of Law Enforcement...

...Robocop

11. Spleen

@Tony Chandler

Hah. Exemptions on grounds of national security anyone? We don't need to conspiracy theorise, it already happened with the side-splittingly supine Freedom Of Information Is Slavery Act.

12. English Bob
    Happy

Evenin' all

What about when they put their thumbs behind their lapels and bend their knees? That will play havoc with the recording. So will whistling, holding their bellies while laughing, and many other commonplace police activities.

What's that you say? It isn't the Fifties any more? Bugger.

13. Mad Hacker
    Coat

"No more nodding"

Just an appropriate quote from the movie Johnny Dangerously.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@AC

Of course, identifying what is public and what is private would be outsourced to the lowest bidder and the lowest bidder would be me. The thing with your girlfriend and the drunk might not be for public consumption but me and my mates will be having a laugh about it for years to come.

15. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Those red recording lights

"People have noticed the red recording lights and become aware they are being filmed, putting them off causing problems."

I'm reminded of the saying that the most effective policeman is the one in your head. I'm also reminded of those empty boxes you can stick high up on your house walls, labelled "Alarm". Is it the expensive camera that has been proven by these trials, or the cheap flashing LEDs?

16. Eugene Goodrich

Look forward to them losing the video

Recorders seem to conk out, or data gets corrupted or lost, when the people with the recording devices are accused of doing bad things.

I'm keen to see whether this effect can break out of anecdoteville and into statistic significdom.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Will we get to view the footage of a bent Peeler?

You can see this one coming: plod have a new excuse: 'I was nodding in agreement with the defendant, which explains the blurred footage'. Translated: 'We put the frighteners on him. The 3 or 4 seconds of damming video is worse than useless - but all the rest shows me in a good light, so I'm safe from prosecution'.

I suggest we all tool up: one camera for each citizen. On the whole, the watchers don't like being watched...

Clerk! Mine's the one with the Orwell novel in the pocket. Anonymous because I've already read it and feel I'm living the nightmare.

18. The Mighty Spang
    Black Helicopters

copcams are great but...

only if they can be monitored by the general public. having it one sided is outrageous. I'm sure you could find enough volunteers to scan through the police tapes looking for misconduct, even on a long shift half of it must just be sitting on arse or wandering around... fast foward till you see the flashing lights or when they are interacting with someone.

gtg giant wasp just flown in arrrggghhh

19. Beachhutman

weee!

Stand by for lots of "Cop forgets head cam in urinals" out takes on Youtube!

20. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Thumb Up

iPlod on PlodTube

I'd like to see that! 24/7 Live CoppaCam [TM], arrests, chases, donut eating, visits to criminal hideouts, shootings, the lot.

21. Wayland Sothcott
    Thumb Down

They don't like it if you record them

How do you think they would react if you pointed a camera at them when they were talking to you. Probably ask that you switch it off. Also I expect there will be lots of 'inconvenient' times when the cameras stopped working. If something really important happens some men in dark suits will take the evidence before it can be looked at properly. Then we will get a gimped up video capture showing all four suspects in one shot again and again.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Focusing and zoom functions

I've used Helmet mounted cameras a fair bit while Snowboarding and mountain biking.

1. They are a right pain in the arse to operate - your average numpty plod won't stand a chance.

2. The Auto-Focus tends to get screwed up by rain/snow - especially if it hits the lens.

3. They don't zoom.

4. They don't usually have a wide viewing angle (special lenses are needed).

5. The picture quality is pretty crappy, mainly cos the CCDs are rather small.

6. On some recorder models that I've used, the SD cards have a tendency to slide out, too - thus ruining your recordings.

I really could go on...

It will be interesting to see these being admitted as evidence in a trial.

23. Paul

Salt 'n' vinegar please

Want to see all the plod-cam movies of PC49 parking his pedal, sorry, panda car on the pavement outside the local chippy and ordering his dinner, put on youtube. Oh yes they park on the pavement coz' its too far to walk from the roadside.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@David Cornes

"... we'll soon see a rise in Yorkshire of the old sport of knocking the copper's helmet off"

I imagine we'll see a HUGE rise in it

"The defendant knocked my helmet off, and in the time it took me to retrieve it, he had fallen down the stairs".

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Police officers are not public servants...

... they are Crown servants - if you don't understand the difference, then you should, it's an important constitutional issue.

And this nonsense is happening because the current Government suddenly propped up £10m (yes, ten *million* pounds) to pay for bobbycams without actually asking the Service if it wanted them, needed them, or even knew the optimal way of deploying them (which this article shows is still undetermined).

The £10m could have been far better spent on actually providing officers - the numbers are now dropping across the country (640 fewer were reported in the Home Office's own police strength stats, but it was obfuscated by reporting an increase "in police numbers" including non-sworn CSOs).

If that doesn't get you worried, read this to find out why your reported serious crimes don't go anywhere...

http://www.polfed.org/Losing_the_Detectives-final.pdf

Don't you think the £10m would have been better spent resolving those issues?

26. Anteaus
    Stop

Numbers Game

> http://www.polfed.org/Losing_the_Detectives-final.pdf

Too True. Policing, like so many Government activities, has become a 'numbers game' where the only thing to matter is the statistics.

Result is that coppers are reluctant to attend a street-incident at all, if it's unlikely there will be arrests to be made. Thus, the only crimes to get dealt-with are those where an arrest is likely. The others are allowed to continue unabated - even if the fact that a copper had showed-up promptly would have deterred a repeat.

The converse is also true, that the police will jump-on any chance to charge Joe Public with a crime, no matter how preposterous that charge may be. There is, after all, always the possibility that the poor sod will plead guilty, and if so, that's another one on the scoresheet.

This situation naturally plays right into the hands of minor crooks, yobs and ne'er-do-wells, who by making a trumped-up accusation or two against Joe Public, find it very easy to get the coppers inadvertently working FOR crime instead of against it.

Oh, and then of course there are the 'Bandwagon Issues' like 'Zero Tolerance of Violence Against Women!!!!' - Anyone reporting an incident in one of these 'politically correct' categories will have half the local force out, complete with white hoods, burning crosses, megaphones and of course the obligatory squadron of black helicopters. . Even if it turns out to be a pillow-fight.

Any wonder crime flourishes?

This topic is closed for new posts.