back to article Slurped self-destruct selfie slinger Snapchat so sore, suddenly says sorry

The brains behind self-destructing selfies app Snapchat have apologized, and claimed to have now tackled security vulnerabilities that exposed millions of people's phone numbers. The startup has released an update for its iOS and Android applications that allows users to opt out of appearing in the find-a-friend search feature …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. W.O.Frobozz

Oh honestly...

...to loosely paraphrase Denis Leary...you're 23 years old, you don't know sh1t about sh1t (or anything about proper software engineering)....and PULL UP YOUR PANTS. Snapchat is the junkfood of 2013. Next year the kids will have moved on to the next over-hyped piece of junk.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh honestly...

Could it be that their client base was reducing at an alarming rate?

2. g e

You can guarantee SnatchChat won't be telling anyone about this but I have have withdrawn my buyout offer of 45p.

They'll need to find a new buyer now. That $3BN is looking like a huge lost opportunity now, I bet, along with my 45p.

1. Matt 21

You're very generous, I don't think I'd give them 45p to take on their debit...... I'd want a lot more than that.

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    Flame

Too little, too late.

Apologising because of the bad press you've received is simply a PR exercise.

The 'feature' is now, at last, rate-limited? How the hell was this not always the case, and why did it take so long to make this simple fix anyway?

Anyway, all it will take is some scandal involving some dodgy pics that someone has saved and republished, and your house of cards will collapse.

Too harsh? I resent anything and anyone that lulls people who don't know any better into a false sense of security.

1. g e

Actually, to be fair...

I resent people who are stupid enough not to question shit like this in the first place.

They deserve SnatchChat

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: Actually, to be fair...

" I resent people who are stupid enough not to question shit like this in the first place."

With the way DRM is continually misrepresented, I wouldn't expect a typical non-techie horny teenager to not believe the snapchat hype...

Mind you, having said that, the ability to take a photo of a phone screen should be obvious...

3. Cliff

Yeah, that's worth $3Bn

I bet someone feels somewhat silly now for turning that offer down.

4. jai

well done!

there is an art to the alliterative headline and this one is a masterclass! bravo sir!!

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Pint

Re: well done!

Whoever came up with that headline, nice work sir/madam, this is for you --->

5. Hans 1

Shaun Nichols, you AmanFromMars?

Seriously, I do not even understand the title after reading the article, too manny S'.

6. Old Handle
    Thumb Up

Good

This is a rare case where asking users for a verified cell number actually makes sense.

7. Dick Emery

Something about horses and bolts

If they never listen. Will they ever learn?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like