back to article Honda harness to take the strain out of strolling

Honda has developed a wacky walking gadget designed to making walking much less of an effort. honda_walker_011 honda_walker_05 Honda's walking assistance gadget: self-explanatory Honda said the "walking assistance device" is for “people who are still capable of walking on their own”, but it may also appeal to the elderly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Marvin the Martian
    Pirate

RotM: suicide pack/pact?

So this snazzy suit will push me into traffic when I want to stop at a red light?

Has it got wifi (ostensibly to allow a remote to find it back, for the lazy/frail of mind), so it can be hacked and someone can make me kick a cop?

Bones and skulls as they will be broken, or underused.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

The strap-on combines angle sensors, CPU-controlled motors to lengthen the user’s...

Mine is the leather one.

3. Peter Fielden-Weston
    Paris Hilton

I'm Speechless

because the battery in my battery powered speaking assistance device is flat.

I bet Paris doesn't need anything to help her control her legs.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Hold the front page!!!

WOW, pictures of a guy.... walking!!!!

Whatever next?!?!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

"Honda harness"...

... deeply disappointed that this turns out not to be a device for keeping your Bulgarian airbags in place.

Also,

>"but we like the idea of hacking the code to create a Steve Austin-style bionic running rig."

I suspect this would be more like a lunge-you-forward-and-smack-your-face-into-the-floor-at-the-touch-of-a-button rig, in practice. Maybe we could get Homer to be the test pilot?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They have the power, they have the technology....

...we have.. erm... the marketing department?

7. bobbles31
    Thumb Up

Excellent Idea

Can I set it up to get me home when I have been out on the shandies? It would be great to be able to fall asleep on the way home and wake up outside the front door.

8. Jon G

Its the wrong trousers, Gromit

Perhaps Nick Park should sue ?

9. Llanfair
    Joke

The Wrong Trousers

and they have gone all wrong!

10. Geoff Mackenzie
    Joke

Damn

I guess walking's patented too now then.

Oh, who am I kidding? I'm a software developer. I never walk anyway.

11. thomas k.
    Stop

tied to crime stat GPS?

D'you think they could tie this into their recently announced crime stat warning GPS thingie? You know, audible beeping and a voice warning you that "12 people have been mugged in this dark alley in the last 5 days, please choose an alternate route".

12. Elmer Phud
    IT Angle

New form of tagging?

Device won't let you unlock the front door unless you've got it on. Then won't let you go anywhere near the court order has banned you from. And, keeping to to SF tradition, if you try to fiddle with it it blows your nuts off.

Finally it makes sure you go down to the nick when there's a free cell for you.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@ bobbles31

"Can I set it up to get me home when I have been out on the shandies? It would be great to be able to fall asleep on the way home and wake up outside the front door."

This has already been invented. Have you never come across a beer scooter?!

Extract from the Oxford Made-Up dictionary

Beer Scooter: Unknown vehicle which is the ONLY explanation of how you got home last night whilst drunk .

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So no personal jet/rocket pack?

see title.

Damn!

15. ian
    Go

Only the beginning

This is obviously only the beginning. I envision drinking trousers for the legless.

16. Kevin Campbell
    Coat

Walk this way

"If I could walk THAT way..."

[silenced by the upraised forefinger of John Cleese]

On a Brit website I can't believe that I, a card-carrying Yank, am the first one to state this.

Mine's the one emitting awful strains of John Philip Sousa.

17. Philip
    Go

More cool engineering...

imagination and design magic.....from the Apple of the Car Industry.

Compare and contrast with the humdrum Toyota.

18. Richard Scratcher
    Linux

Don't come running to me when your leg muscles atrophy!

In this age of global warming and obesity, I'm surprised that yet another gizmo has been designed to waste electricity and reduce physical activity.

What we really need is the ability to charge up a power pack using energy from walking. Positive steps towards reducing both obesity and global warming. That's what I'd call "Techno-Trousers".

P.s. Have you seen this chicken?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@Excellent Idea

* Dave Lister: Sometimes I think it's cruel giving machines a personality. My mate Petersen once brought a pair of shoes with artificial intelligence. Smart Shoes, they were called. It was a neat idea. No matter how blind drunk you were, they would always get you home. Then he got ratted one night in Oslo, and woke up the next morning in Burma. See, the shoes got bored just going from his local to the flat. They wanted to see the world, man, y'know? He had a helluva job getting rid of them. No matter who he sold them to, they'd show up again the next day! He tried to shut them out, but they just kicked the door down, y'know?

* Arnold Rimmer: Is this true?

* Dave Lister: Yeah! Last thing he heard, they'd sort of, erm, robbed a car and drove it into a canal. They couldn't steer, y'see.

* Arnold Rimmer: Really?!

* Dave Lister: Yeah. Petersen was really, really blown away by it. He went to see a priest. The priest told him, he said, it was alright, and all that, and the shoes were happy, and they'd gone to heaven. Y'see, it turns out shoes have soles.

20. Walter Brown
    Coat

Spell Check...

A nifty piece of technology developed many years ago to help the grammatically challenged succeed in life, there are many options to choose from, and some are cheap too! so cheap that i'm sure even el reg can afford to buy you one...

Its ASIMO! not Asimp...

Mines the one with the Merriam-Webster electronic dictionary in the pocket...

21. Randy
    Flame

Re: Spell Check... Walter Brown

A nifty piece of technology developed many years ago to help the grammatically challenged succeed in life, there are many options to choose from, including versions built into some word processors, and some are FREE too! Even Walter Brown can afford to buy one...

It's So! Not so... first words of sentences are capitalized...

It's El Reg! Not el reg... it's a proper noun

It's I'm! Not i'm... dumbass... I'm not exactly sure of the specific reason for that though...

Its Mine's! not Mines... possessive noun... do you understand any of these words?

This topic is closed for new posts.