back to article NASSCOM appoints new boss to corral India's outsourcers

India’s all-powerful IT body NASSCOM has appointed a new head honcho to guide the industry to hoped-for revenues of $US300 billion (£183bn) by 2020. Former Indian telecom secretary R Chandrashekhar took the reins as president on Monday from the outgoing Som Mittal, who served from 2007. Unsurprisingly, he struck an optimistic …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neoc

"....hoped-for revenues of $US300 billion (£183bn) by 2020."

"....which amount to a near 300 per cent jump from the $108bn (£66bn)..."

Actually no, it doesn't. A 100% jump would be from $100bn to $200bn, so a jump from $100bn to $300bn is a 200% jump.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As case of 'never mind the quality feel the width?'

Most of the Indian Outsourcers I've worked with employ people who simply don't have a clue. Yeah sure they have all sorts of certs but in real use cases they are a total liability.

Sure there are some exceptions but these are few and far between.

We have a big contract in India. Can we find people to staff it? Like heck we can. All the good people are away in the US on H1B visas.

Then there is that CMMI crap stuffed in front of you by the companies. These people couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery (assuming they drank that is)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: As case of 'never mind the quality feel the width?'

Yep, for about 4-5 years most of the projects I worked on were full of these guys, frankly you could go down the local job centre, pick a dozen guys at random and achieve the same effect, actually probably better as last time I was on the dole in 2009 the Job Centre was full of UK IT staff displaced by these jokers.

There's a definite "Kings New Clothes" attitude from UK senior management regarding these guys, they just see the big cut in the salary bill but don't factor in the poor quality of the people they are getting and the consequent costs and delays (see most UK Government projects in the last 6-7 years), most of the really good IT workers from India I've met met came here under their own steam using the Tier 1 Visa (ironically the one the Government are capping!!), the Tier 2 Intra Company Transfer tax scam guys supplied by Nasscom's members are pretty much either useless, or very green grads, like the guy I interviewed claiming to have a PhD in Computer Science who strangely couldn't tell me what TCP/IP was!

3. Pen-y-gors

Dodgy call centres?

And will he do anything to increase the overall quality by shutting down the assorted criminal call centres who phone you up and claim to be from Windows support and want to help you remove the virus on your PC?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like