back to article If you're still waiting for Firefox on Windows 8, don't hold your breath

Firefox fans are going to have to wait a little bit longer before they can use their favorite web browser on Windows 8: the Mozilla team has pushed back a formal release of the software, due this month, to March 18 at the earliest. The non-profit org has been promising a flavor of Firefox for Microsoft's touchscreen-friendly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom from the States

What *other* apps are not available on Windows 8?

OK, what other popular apps aren't available for Windows 8 besides Firefox? I am aware that Windows Phone 8 was behind the ball, but was clueless that Firefox was still grounded.

From my POV, another reason to hold off on Windows 8.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What *other* apps are not available on Windows 8?

@Tom - "OK, what other popular apps aren't available for Windows 8 besides Firefox?"

Actually, Firefox (and Aurora) work great on Win 8 - just like nearly any other desktop program. I've got Firefox version 26.0 running on this Win 8 machine right now - works fantastic.

This article seems to be referring to the lack of a dedicated, full-screen Metro app version of Firefox. I don't think anyone will really miss it - I've tried the IE Metro app, and it's kind of a hassle to deal with. Even in tablet mode, the desktop versions of browsers work much better for me.

1. big_D Silver badge

I've switched back to using IE Metro for 95% of my browsing on my tablet. A couple of places, where I need bookmarks or NoScript etc. I still switch to the desktop and use Firefox, but the Metro mode is much better for tablet use.

And, to be honest, Firefox is very slow in its current form, compared to IE. I still use Firefox as my default browser on my laptop, desktop, iMac and Linux machines, because it synchronises nicely and I have NoScript. If IE got NoScript, I'd probably give up on waiting for Firefox to appear and use cloud based bookmarking.

2. oldtaku Silver badge
      Alien

To be clear, anything (99.999%) that works under Windows 7 works fine under Windows 8 desktop, and Windows 8 is perfectly usable as a slightly upgraded Windows 7 by using Start8 or a similar app.

They're talking about a Metro ('scuse me, Modern UI) app here. You can see why that's not a high priority.

One more example of the incoherent clusterfrak that is Windows 8 positioning.

1. Nigel 11

Personally I wish they'd decide that there never will be an official version of Firefox that works anywhere on Windows 8 except for the Windows 7-compatible desktop, until someone stumps up the entire cost of porting it.

If Microsoft think the non-availability hurts their chances of persuading people that TIKFAM is any more seaworthy than the post-iceberg Titanic, let them pay the Mozilla foundation to do the port. If Microsoft doesn't care to do that, tell the world that's why there's no TIKFAM-Firefox.

1. mmeier

Short hint:

MS does not care for a Modern enabled Firefox. They do not care for Firefox AT ALL

They HAVE a Modern enabled browser that works just fine on Win8. One that they control. It's called IE.

1. Nigel 11

Yes, I know. MS would like all of its users to be tied in to a browser that won't let them block adverts, and which reports more than you know back to Microsoft so that they can target you with more "relevant" and unblockable advertising. The users, on the other hand ....

1. mmeier

Well, if the users want a Modern version of FF (the desktop version works/crashes just fine) then I guess the USERS should pay for it.

3. Robert Grant

Tom - obviously it works in normal desktop mode; Windows 8 from that point of view is just a faster Windows 7. This is to get a Metro/Modern/whatever version so that if you have a Windows 8 Pro tablet you can have a nice touchscreen Firefox.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My advice to Mozilla

Give up on Win8 and hope that Win9 isnt a bag of shite as well.

1. Nigel 11

Re: My advice to Mozilla

Mozilla doesn't have to hope anything. Firefox works just fine on Linux and anything else that might replace XP and Windows 7 on business desktops (including the Windows 8 desktop).

The day Microsoft announces EOL for Windows 7 without having an upgrade path that doesn't involve massive costs (including retraining all a business's low-skill keyboard-pokers), is the day Microsoft will have signed its own death warrant.

If I hadn't been around while Digital self-destructed, I'd think it couldn't happen.

There's actually a decent successor to Windows 7 in Windows 8, if only it could be made to boot to desktop with a 7-compatible login /switch user screen and start menu, and TIKFAM made so it can be defaulted hidden and configured completely unavailable using AD policies. Doesn't actually look too hard, if Microsoft would only stop pushing TIKFAM at business users who know they absolutely don't want it in any shape or form.

1. mmeier

Re: My advice to Mozilla

IIRC the 8.1 version can boot directly to desktop (did not try since I actually LIKE Modern), CTRL-ALT-DEL to get the switch user works on /Pro and the login is "close enough".

As for the rest I'd have to ask the admins wether my box is a "hand crafted" setup or simply works with the Win7 settings and/or check with our customers sysops who integrated the TPT2 and Lat10s last year. Since those guys where not burning / needling puppets in my liking my guess is it wasn't all that complex.

Now that guy recommending the iThingy, he's still showing occasionat twitches, strange movements and an uneasiness near needles....

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Shame - Win8 needs a good virtual memory stress testing tool

Agree on all your points. I've got so much of my online work invested in Chrome that I'm sticking with it, but IE 11 on Win 8.1 is remarkable from a low-resource perspective. I think if a Ghostery extension was available for IE 11, I'd probably give it more of a try.

1. big_D Silver badge

Ghostery and NoScript...

NoScript is the main reason I'm still with Firefox. I tried Chrome, but the NoScripts and similar addons over the years don't offer its flexibility and control. But on Win 8 on a tablet, Firefox is lethargic and the desktop mode is unwieldy, so I use mainly IE11 for sites I know and trust (95% of my surfing).

1. Jad

According to the Ghostery Website, this is available for IE ...

2. Nigel 11

Ghostery and NoScript...

Adblock-plus, Flashblock, and Tabkit (tabs down the LHS in collapsible trees, not along the top)

Privacy concerns about what is being sent to Microsoft (IE) or Google (Chrome) without my knowledge or consent.

2. John P

Same experience here. I use Chrome on my Windows 8 desktop at work and home, out of habit more than anything else, but I have a Dell Mini 9 (Atom 1GB RAM) which I use for email and Campfire and I use IE11 Metro for Campfire. Chrome barely stutters to life on this device but IE11 runs quite smoothly.

I haven't yet made the time to use the IE11 dev tools but I have seen them in action and they look better than the rest these days.

Microsoft making a better, smoother, faster browser than Chrome and Firefox? What the frak is going on?

3. Vociferous

> Win8 needs a good virtual memory stress testing tool

If you think Firefox is a "good virtual memory stress testing tool" then you've almost certainly got problems with your Flash installation. It is in my experience ALWAYS Flash which is buggered when Firefox starts gobbling gigabytes.

4. Vociferous

No, I am waiting for a Windows 8 for my Firefox.

A real windows 8. For computers.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't wait for Modern UI version of Firefox

I'm mostly a Linux user, but every now and then have to fire up Windows for work. I was completely blown away by how smooth and responsive IE11 is on those Atom based Windows 8 tablet (like the Acer Iconia W3) - both in Modern UI mode and desktop mode. I've never seen anything like it on anything except an iDevice, only IE11 supports Flash etc... Also extremely pleased that AdBlock Plus is now available for Internet Explorer.

I'm still stunned that in this day and age, with all the processing power available, completely smooth and stutter free scrolling within the browser hasn't materialized. The closet I've seen so far is IE11 on touch devices (it still stutters when you scroll using the touchpad or scrollwheel on a mouse).

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: Can't wait for Modern UI version of Firefox

I've got a Logitech T650 touch pad, and I've let it's driver software install its browser plugins. It's the best browsing and scrolling experience I've seen yet on a PC, super smooth scrolling in IE, Firefox (and Chrome too I think but I rarely use Chrome). On Win7.

I just wish some laptop manufacturers would build them in.

1. big_D Silver badge

Yep, I love my Logitech T650. The best investment I've ever made. It works great with Windows 8.

1. bazza Silver badge

Yeah, it works just fine on Window 8 for me too, I just don't use Win8 that often. The fact that it does most of what one wants from a muli-touch user interface on Windows 7 is what I was very pleased by.

I've no rational idea why someone's downvoted you.

6. mmeier

Journalism on the "Remember the Maine" level of quality

The correct headline should be something along the lines of

Mozilla delays Firefox for Modern UI

because on the Win 8.x DESKTOP Firefox works as it did on Win7 or that funny DIY OS some people use.

7. Truth4u

That's what happens when you deliberately sabotage your own OS by releasing incompatible versions every 4 years. Are people really still willing to tolerate this?

1. Greg J Preece

But they're not incompatible. I haven't found an app that I ran on Win7 that I can't run on Win8. The tits are you on about?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When it seems this difficult its no surprise that Windows 8 isn't that successful.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like