back to article California OLDSTER in WILD golf course SKATEBOARDING spree

A Californian pensioner has invented a bizarre new golf buggy inspired by a skateboard, which he claims will open up this fusty sport to a younger audience. The GolfBoard is a motorised device which allows putters to pootle around the course at a speed of up to 12 miles per hour (19kmph). It was originally launched on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds all-terrain, can the speed be boosted and if so, where do I get one.

Sadly the Daily Mail will probably campaign to have them banned, or worse, licensed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It would be easier for the Daily Flail start a campaign to ban Golf. I'd bet a pint or two that there are a good number of golfing widows who read the rag so would get their support straight away.

After all, it is still the most pointless pastime know to man or woman.

2. Mephistro
    Happy

"It will do for golfing what snowboarding did for skiing," he said.

Yep, it will be a dangerous nuisance to everybody else using the premises.

1. SuccessCase

You've supplied your own crotchetiness, but something is missing. Ah, I know, here's a virtual stick to wave at random strangers:

||

||

||

||

2. Jean Le PHARMACIEN
      IT Angle

Re :"It will do for golfing what snowboarding did for skiing," he said.

i.e. thes new ' golfers ' will sit on their backside across the piste/fairway smoking joints; saying 'like' every third word and doing b*gg*r all golfing.

Aaaarrhhh now I feel better. Pre- Val Claret rant over..

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Skiers are the worst kind of degenerate human we have inhabiting our lovely planet.

Not only do they look ridiculous, they take up half the slope in their mothers meeting lines and just generally be elitist pricks to everyone else.

Do your selves a favour, learn to board and relax a little.....

3. Wilco
    Childcatcher

Further proof that Golf is an utterly, utterly dull activity (not sport) - you need to add electric skateboards to make it even vaguely interesting. Also, the real reasons young people don't want to play golf:

- Golf clubs are the natural habitat of the absolute tosser

- Playing golf costs a bloody fortune

- Did I mention the absolute tossers?

Thank you for your attention

1. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

you forgot you have to leave any notion of style and dress sense at home.

I agree it's pastime, not a sport, along with snooker, darts and anything else you can have a fag and a pint whilst participating in.

i.e. if you don't get out of breath, it ain't a sport.

1. Vic
        Joke

> if you don't get out of breath, it ain't a sport.

And you're claiming that anything involving fags isn't a sport :-)

Vic.

[Joke nicked from Jo Brand, though]

4. Chris G

Scooter

A skateboard with a stick in it to hold on to is a scooter, electric petrol and foot powered are nothing new and I know a few Brits with off road skate boards as well as kite powered.

Oscar Wilde described golf as ' A good walk spoiled' Now the walk is going to disappear too but like a great many ' sports' playing together and relaxing afterward is a good way to do business.

I n the past I have even sealed a deal over a game of darts.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Scooter

I thought it was Mark Twain who said that?

Still not that it matters as whoever said it was right!!

5. bill 36

This a joke right?

"It will do for golfing what snowboarding did for skiing," he said.

I think this guy thinks that American type "condominium golf courses" are real golf courses, where you drive from green to tee in an electric cart and the fairways are flat.

Young people taking up snowboarding quickly realise that its just an easier way to kill yourself on a mountain and if they enjoy winter sports then they learn to ski.

6. Arachnoid

Uncool

Cant see it catching on with the Golf crowd as its all about image though style does take a hit....

BTW the linky in the article no worky

http://www.golfboard.com/

7. IDoNotThinkSo

Golf club != Golf course

A golf club, like any 'club' anywhere, no matter what the premise for it, is a place to avoid.

A golf course is something different (and some manicured US style horror is not a golf course).

I'd like to seem them use that thing on the dunes of a links course in a good westerly.

Come for a jaunt round Machrihanish if you don't think it can be good exercise.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Golf club != Golf course

Isn't a golf club the thing you use to whack the little ball?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$3,500 for a piece of wood with four wheels and a starter motor?

I would love the list of buyers because the thing about golfers is that they are heavily into any gadget they think will improve their game, no matter how ridiculous. A bit like fly fishermen looking for the ultimate fly but infinitely more gullible. I could come up with a few things to sell them.

1. ItsNotMe
      FAIL

Re: $3,500 for a piece of wood with four wheels and a starter motor?

Yep...and 2,000 people with more money than brains buying them.

Another P.T. Barnum moment.

9. Graham Marsden
    Mushroom

Get off my golf course...

... you damn pesky kids...!

10. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

Oh my

Why do American even have legs?

Just asking....

1. disgruntled yank

Re: Oh my

Turn around and we'll show you.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh my

So their feet can reach the pedals.

The reason they have two legs? Redundancy, which is also proof of intelligent design.

11. Colin Millar
    Happy

I love that company

They also sell an adjustable club - 34 clubs in one.

$199 or $179 each if you buy two.

You couldn't make this stuff up.

12. Steve Button Silver badge

Can't see it catching on. (Snow Crash?)

I think the main problem is an old person has tried to devise something that younguns will find cool. Thing is you look a complete tit, so no one will boy one. And it's bloody expensive.

Now, if they invent a skateboard like the one in Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, that might be another story.

I'm really surprised at all the anti snowboarding feeling here in The Reg. Firstly, it's just as dangerous and if anything it's usually the skiers that I see being carried down the mountain in the bloodwagon or the 'copter. Personally I like both, but I thought there would be more developer types on here and they are anecdotally more into snowboarding. Is this what's called Heuristically driven bias? Actually pretty much ALL the devs I know are into snowboarding.

1. bill 36

Re: Can't see it catching on. (Snow Crash?)

Birds of a feather and all that..........

The point about snowboarding is that with both feet strapped together a fall at speed produces many a broken arm and shoulder or ribs. Believe me i know!

As you get older this becomes serious.

Its also easier to take bigger risks on the steep and deep on a board. Great and thrilling when you're young.

Skiers normally suffer different injuries, normally to the knee which does indeed require a blood wagon to bring them off the mountain.

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

> The point about snowboarding is that with both feet strapped together...

Why do snowboarders do that? If you don't need straps on a surfboard why do you need them on a snowboard?

1. bill 36

well that's a very good question.

I'll hazard a guess because i'm a skier.

Precision on a hard surface. Deep powder snow which i suppose could be compared to surfing on water is something of a luxury.

But there is another more dangerous reason, a runaway board in the mountains has the energy to kill. Better to be secured tightly to the leg of a yoof!

1. sam bo

"But there is another more dangerous reason, a runaway board in the mountains has the energy to kill. Better to be secured tightly to the leg of a yoof!"

OK, but surfboards have a legrope to the surfers ankle for retrieving the board.

maybe velco soles on their boots and a matching area on the snowboard would give enough stability/traction without tearing a leg off in a fall ?

2. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Flame

if anything it's usually the skiers that I see being carried down the mountain in the bloodwagon or the 'copter

If my own experience is anything to go by, that's because the skiers have been wiped out by idiotic careless snowboarders.

13. Random Coolzip

New sport

Hmmm, after a few beers (probably Bud Lite, sorry CAMRA), I dare say a chukker of scooter polo might seem to be a good idea. Infinitely more interesting than golf, and probably no more divots than usual. Wonder if those batteries have a quick-charge capability, although you probably can't do much in only three minutes. Maybe some quick disconnects for full battery changes?

14. Florida1920
    Facepalm

El Reg, your link broke the Intertubes!

http://www.golfboard.com/

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

Guess the staff can take the rest of the day off and go golfing.

1. Bucky 2

Re: El Reg, your link broke the Intertubes!

The device creator probably spent all his money on golf, and didn't have any left over for a hosting plan.

This topic is closed for new posts.