back to article Hypnotic wind map captures Earth's heavenly currents

Those readers slumped behind their desks in the traditional pre-Xmas torpor and who are looking for an alternative to watching the clock hands crawling towards Yule liberation are directed towards "earth" - magnificent animated views of the world's wind currents. Global wind currents shown on earth Using data from the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You're right, it is addictive.

1. Callam McMillan

Addictive

Well not for those of us at work who are stuck on IE8... It doesn't work :(

2. James Micallef Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Not only addictive, but remarkably trippy too

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Can't chat...

...I'm too busy watching green penguins racing around a blue london bus...

2. Forget It
    Joke

pun warning

I usually get the wind after Xmas

- not before

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if we can use enough bandwidth to cause a system out tomorrow using this

4. vulcan
    Thumb Up

That is brilliant. As a new GA pilot the animations bring to life those synoptic charts we study when deciding if we can fly or not.

And yes it is addictive

1. bigtimehustler

Haha, indeed true, i just wouldn't rely on someone elses programming skills you don't know too much about to solely make those decisions! You might have to check the boring old charts too.

5. Bronek Kozicki

now I see!

... why travel from US to UK so so much faster than the other way.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Joke

Re: now I see!

I thought it was just that everyone was happy to be getting away from the US without being declared a terrorist, such that they put on a little extra burst of speed. Well you learn something new everyday...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Cyclones

There are two spectacular cyclones in the Indian ocean right now.

Edit: That's the first time I've been able to "see" down the eye of a cyclone. Astounding stuff.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

an El Reg ddos?

I think cloudflare needs some better programmers. Because the ones that wrote their current ddos implementation sucked.

I guess nullschool.net hasn't been /. before.

8. Winkypop Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I don't bookmark much these days, but...

..gotcha!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Please post this sort thing on Friday afternoons

as I'm now finding it unusually hard to fake productivity

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Please post this sort thing on Friday afternoons

But it is Friday afternoon! Well it is now, here.

10. Hero Protagonist

Animated Van Gogh paintings

I like the view from the South Pole

11. Hero Protagonist

Inspired by this perhaps?

I new I'd seen something like this a few years ago, just found the bookmark. Same idea but in greyscale instead of color and US only: http://hint.fm/wind/

(Edit: just looked at the about page, he does credit hint.fm as Inspiration)

12. Gene Cash Silver badge

Please allow up to 5 seconds…

Their definition of 5 seconds is quite different from mine.

13. Mystic Megabyte
    Alien

Odd

What the hell is happening in NE Iceland?

Is this where the UFOs are going down a volcano?

14. Martin 15

Land stops wind?

I know I had read about it, but visually seeing the effect of a landmass is surprising (to me anyway).

Re: Land stops wind?

At sea level, yes (I'm pretty sure that the wind speed 600m below where I'm sitting right now is sweet F.A.)

Try increasing altitude to see lovely jet streams etc.: click on the word "earth" at bottom left and then choose a different height (as measured by pressure).

15. Lost in Cyberspace

Yay

Seems to work on iphone so no getting caught using the desktop

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great link.

Using IE 10 I can move the earth and zoom but how do you change altitude and type of projection?

Go

click on the word "earth" at bottom left

17. Potemkine Silver badge

I'm watching it with Erik Satie in musical background... hypnotic Indeed.

18. Swarthy

What is really interesting is looking just of the south-east coast of the US, around Bermuda. I think this just shows the origins of the Infamous Triangle. That is some funky air movement there, like a total becalming, with some decent wind speeds in all directions surrounding. that could cause some wicked fog, becalming, ...and then there's the question of what causes the funky pattern. And it's not just at sea-level, but it goes up a bit.

/...Or I've been staring at the map too long, with too much caffeine in my system, and I am starting to trip out.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like