back to article Soghoian & Greenwald tell EU bigwigs: Fight state snooping on mobe networks NOW

Politicians and regulators in Europe need to decide whether they want a secure mobile phone system or something their own police agencies - as well as spy agencies in the US, China and elsewhere - are able to easily tap into, according to a renowned security and privacy expert. Christopher Soghoian, principal technologist of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James 51

“European Parliament's Inquiry on Electronic Mass Surveillance of EU Citizens”

I was expecting something much more Orwellian like the European Parliament's Inquiry on Electronic Mass Protection of EU Citizens

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

or perhaps a Committe for Public Safety?

2. Vimes

What's rather revealing is that despite all the righteous fury over all of this most EU countries have taken no real action of any substance to stop this (and a non-binding resolution at the UN, whilst interesting, doesn't really count either).

If anything some countries - *cough*France*cough* - have been found to be trying to develop their own systems without financial help from the likes of the NSA.

Personally I suspect all this anger has been fabricated to try an encourage the five eyes club to be opened up to other people, thus giving them access too, rather than stopping the surveillance. But then I can be cynical sometimes.

In any case I have little hope that anything substantial will change for the better any time soon.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He went on to criticise the "strange and disappointing dynamic" of European politicians welcoming greater knowledge about the actions of intelligence agencies while "turning their backs on Snowden in offering to protect him from persecution by accepting his requests for asylum.”

What foolishness is this? European politicians don't want (or need) greater knowledge of the NSA's actions, they already knew about it all since they were in full cooperation. The anti-surveillance sentiment we're seeing is simply public posturing to hide the fact they've been complicit the whole time.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like