Powerline Networking

This topic was created by dogged .

1. dogged

Powerline Networking

I use it.

I also happen to be an ex-Signals RF engineer and old RF hand from Motorola (many of us went that way in the civvie street) with a whole shitload of diagnostics kit in the cupboard under the stairs, which I used on first installation (about two years back) to try to determine if the FUD that neckbeards with HAM licenses continually spew about powerline kit was true.

To the absolute best of my diagnostic abilities (and those are still pretty good), the Devolo 200Mb/s kit I have installed does not overspill into any nearby waveband. It's not affecting SW, MW or UHF, ADSL is clear, regular HAM frequencies seem (it's never easy to tell due to environmental factors) to be identical with and without the kit in operation. And by "in operation" I don't just mean "switched on", I mean "plugged in at all". I get more (a lot more, actually) readings from the microwave than I do from the powerline kit.

I have yet to test any other manufacturer's kit but am happy to do so if it's supplied (I will of course return it). In the meantime, if the doomsayers could just shut up and point out any kit they think is flaky, I might be able to get test hardware and find out.

Thank you.

1. rhydian

Re: Powerline Networking

Amen to that!

I run Devolo kit as well, because when I moved in to my house I wasn't sure where I'd be placing the router and really didn't want to channel through newly painted walls running cat5, and wireless isn't really reliable enough.

I've not had any complaints from the neighbours, not even the radio amateur who's house is just across the way.

2. miket82

Simpler

I use a Simpler pass through. 150 feet to my shed from the main router, runs a 5 port switch,3 PC's and a network printer plus whatever else I throw at it. No problems, ever.

Current system 25.6 Mb/s DL, 7.5 Mb/s UL as I write this.

3. briesmith

If Only

I wish the effect complained of did, in fact, happen.

I have expensive BT infinity in the house but low speed PlusNet in my garage office about 70 yards away.

Ideally I'd get rid of the PlusNet using PowerLine networking to connect the house router to the garage - saving money and getting better bandwidth into the bargain - but the presence of a consumer unit in the house and another in the garage in the mains distribution circuits prevents the signals getting through. Attenuation is so high the router can't be seen in the garage.

And the wife won't let me run a CAT5 cable... (because of the mess, holes in the walls etc)

1. miket82

Re: If Only

I also have 2 consumer units with no problems with powerlines. Check your connections. In times past I have had complaints of slow dial up connections (any one remember them?) and simply re-tightening all the connections removes the problem. Even more important with a.c power lines where they can work loose if the original connections were a bit dodgy.

Otherwise, why not use a powerline wifi range extenders?

2. Bob H

Re: If Only

I know this is an old topic but when the sparky replaced my consumer unit I had him fit a socket next to it and that socket was on the same neutral as the workshop and I have a gigabit Powerline adaptor to bridge the two spaces.

4. badra100

Power line communications can also be used in a home to interconnect home computers and peripherals.

5. Wommit

I use two power line adapters to get intrwebby access & transfer stuff & sh!t around the house. I have WiFi too, but one set of PCs are in a black spot. My power line stuff hasn't ever given me a problem.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon