back to article Old Apple Safaris leave IDs and passwords for scavengers to peck

The fun folks at Kaspersky Labs' Securelist blog have found something nasty in Apple's Safari Browser, which they say lists user IDs and passwords in plaintext. Detailed here, the problem derives from Safari's retention of browser history as applied in the “Reopen All Windows from Last Session” feature that enables users to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Joe Gurman

Fortunately....

....until the fruit company comes up with a patch for this issue, it's possible to go to full-disk encryption on OS X 10.7 and 10.8 systems:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4790?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US .

This is yet another good reason to do so.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fortunately....

While I don't disagree with full disk encryption, it won't help in this situation. Once you've logged in (a requirement for any future nasty to read the file assuming it's running in your user space) the disk is made accessible by the OS so the nasty will be able to read it.

2. Irongut

Re: Fortunately....

Because full disk encrpytion will stop this.

Oh wait, no it won't. Idiot.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Small storm in a small tea cup I think.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Shirley they have to have pwned your machine already so it's game over...?

3. bigfoot780

no longer supported

I thought apple had ceased development of safari on windows. I thought they'd done enough damage with itunes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: no longer supported

From the article you didn't read to the end:

"the problem only affects OSX10.8.5 running Safari 6.0.5 (8536.30.1) and OSX10.7.5 with Safari 6.0.5 (7536.30.1)"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: no longer supported

So it affects an old browser on their previous OS and your machine would already have to be infected / exploited to be able to take advantage of it?

4. Amazon Wageslave
    Devil

Apple forward thinking

Apple have got this covered by making Safari so fecking useless that people automatically install and use a different browser.

5. Adam 1

You're closing it wrong.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like