back to article Meet NASA's Valkyrie: A silky busty robo superhero that'll save your life

NASA's Johnson Space Center (JSC) has revealed its entry into the $2m DARPA Robotics Challenge, which will start later this month. The result is a robot dubbed Valkyrie that's designed to look like a sexy superhero. Valkyrie robot cleavage 'My eyes are up here, thank you' The 1.9-metre tall, 125kg droid has interchangeable …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

lube points

Anyone want to take bets on where they are?

On a more serious note, if/when it falls over, can it stand up again?

1. LaeMing
      Happy

Re: lube points

1) http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Grease_nipple&redirect=no

2) it just bounces back up!

2. Rustident Spaceniak
      Coat

Re: lube points

As per standard for space hardware, that'll be dry lube.

Mine's the one with the MoS2 flask in the pocket.

2. xperroni

Innovation if I've ever seen one

Team Val wanted a more human feel so clothed the robot in soft fabrics.

I for one appreciate the thought. If I'm going to get pounded by a rebelling robot, I'd rater it be soft, lean and got a nice cleavage to boot – rather than, say, look like an expressionless Austrian dude?

1. Kharkov
      Unhappy

Re: Innovation if I've ever seen one

If there's a possibility of me getting 'pounded' by a nearly-2-metre-tall robot then I'm voting no, even if it is in soft fabrics...

1. WraithCadmus
        Gimp

If there's a possibility of me getting 'pounded' by a nearly-2-metre-tall robot then I'm voting no, even if it is in soft fabrics...

You don't know what you're missing out on.

Icon: Space suit

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Greetings. Fisto is programmed to please."

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fisto

How long before this happens?

3. Old Handle
    Joke

So I was pondering what the practical application for the tits on this thing might be, and then I realized of course! Supplying nourishment to trapped disaster victims. Although, I suspect it will be more readily accepted if delivered in the form of high energy food bars behind a panel a compartment in the chest area instead of the traditional method.

1. Robert Heffernan

Serious Application

I got the joke ;-) but...

A serious practical application would be additional chest space for additional chest-mounted components, or mounting counter-weights further forward in order to balance the battery pack on it's back.

1. Mike Flugennock

Re: Serious Application

"...A serious practical application would be additional chest space for additional chest-mounted components, or mounting counter-weights further forward in order to balance the battery pack on it's back..."

Well, OK, if that's your story and you're sticking to it, sure.

4. mIRCat
    Terminator

Remember NO means NO.

It will give a whole new meaning to "Sorry I can't do that, Dave."

I will still be waiting for our future sexbot overlords.

5. Mr C

From Nasa to Darpa?

Aren't they both state agencies? Why would one agency spend tax dollars to develop something so that they can win a tax-dollars-sponsored price?

Hmm now that i re-read my question i start to think that Nasa would like to have another agencies money - provided they win of course, in the process they end up with something that can be used in future missions, so its a win-win situation for them either way.

Not bad Nasa.

1. Tsunamijuan

Re: From Nasa to Darpa?

Nasa has had to resort to running things more like a business ever since the funding cuts of the last 14 years or so. They sell computing services to other government agencies also.

It also makes good publicity in this situation to get people interested in space exploration. Since part of nasa's on going mission is education and peaking the interest of young minds. As to encourage them to become interested in the sciences and hopefully contribute to them at some point.

6. Kevin Johnston

Marvel Sueball?

Only if they also threw one at the Care Bear Stare....seem to recall that they all pushed a 'beam of lovingness' out of their chests....

...or something like that. I was only peripherally watching when the kids were small and I was not in the slightest bit interested in scouring the internet for details and having that show up in my browsing history.

1. Jerren
      Joke

Re: Marvel Sueball?

If marvel doesn't sue them Ozzie might once everyone starts calling Val "Iron maiden" as opposed to Iron man... It is a female robot form after all...

7. frank ly

If it's going that way .....

(NSFW!) Search for 'Sorayama' on Google Images (NSFW!)

I like the robot rhino but I'd admire it from a safe distance.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Re: If it's going that way .....

Or you could just buy his books. I did.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: If it's going that way .....

Hajime is one hell of an artist. Been admiring his work for literally decades.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If it's under human control then it's a remotely operated vehicle (ROV) not a robot.

I had the same issue with the BBC TV series 'ROV Wars' ...

1. MrXavia

Exactly, although I assume it has some form of autonomy, it did seem very jerky at doing simple tasks so it can't have a very advanced AI or very precise remote control...

I would love to see this integrated with a decent VR suit, get rid of some of the cameras in exchange for pressure sensors and then allow a true telepresence system for dangerous situation...

2. Suburban Inmate

Under human control

For now...

9. Vociferous

Humanoid robots are fine for domestic use...

...for construction and other heavy duty outdoors work, wheeled or multilegged robots are better. Instead of having a humanoid robot drive the forklift, make the forklift autonomous.

Humanoid robots are really a waste of effort, unless the idea is to give the Mars colonists robotic butlers.

1. DragonLord

Re: Humanoid robots are fine for domestic use...

I think the point of a humanoid robot is that it needs to be of a similar size to a human so that it can be put into a situation where there are humans without needing to make massive changes that may not even be possible to accommodate it.

In an environment where you can cater for a robot what you suggested makes sense as, in theory, it should be cheaper to add an AI brain to a forklift than it is to provide this robot, or the industrial robots on a production line. If on the other hand what you really need is an extra person that can be pulled out of storage occasionally when you need x, y, or z done and then they can go back into storage, this would be ideal.

1. Vociferous

> the point of a humanoid robot is that it needs to be of a similar size to a human so that it can be put into a situation where there are humans without needing to make massive changes

Yes, such as in houses, an environment designed around humans. (And I wasn't being glib about giving Mars colonists robotic butlers -- that might well be a good idea.)

In potentially dangerous mining or construction, this isn't the case; the only thing designed around humans in such situations are the machinery, so making the machinery autonomous would remove both humans and humanoid robots from the equation.

One might note that none of the dozen or so drones and robots used in the Fukushima nuclear power plant clean up are humanoid.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

" Instead of having a humanoid robot drive the forklift, make the forklift autonomous."

And for safety's sake, have the forks fold up and out of the way unless actually in use.

Human-piloted forklifts kill more people in warehousing setups than everything else put together. Robotic ones might well be a significant safety step forward.

1. Vociferous

> Robotic ones might well be a significant safety step forward

It would. Robotic forklifts are already in fairly common use, and safety improves.

From a safety point of view, the big win will be the change to robotic cars. There's some 200 000 people killed or injured in UK traffic every year, and that will be significantly reduced. Ironically, even though the number of dead & wounded would probably be reduced by an order of magnitude or more, robotic cars are held back by legislation because it's unclear who'd be legally responsible for the remaining deaths/wounded.

10. Killing Time

Remember MAN+ anyone?

Looks like how I always envisaged MAN+ in my minds eye... Fact following Fredrick Pohl's fiction.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How much for one?

That's the main question here, innit?

12. Rob

Are you sure you want to do that?

"When the humans arrive, the robots and the humans will work together in conjunction building habs, laying foundations, and working together in a tight relationship,"

Or more likely because they have been left alone for so long, the first humans that arrive will get an arse kicking and then the robots will issue an edict stating that Mars is theirs, stay away.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Are you sure you want to do that?

After which, the robots will declare that they shall be known as "Boppers" and use dance as a effective method of cybernetic evolution.

2. MichaelBirks

Re: Are you sure you want to do that?

"All these planets are yours - Except Mars.

Attempt no landings there"

13. drewsup

does it come with the...

optional fleshlight appendage arm?

inquiring minds want to know!

14. Sir Sham Cad

Superhero robots sent to clean up Mars

Someone at DARPA's been at the A.B.C. Warriors trades again!

15. Faye B
    Facepalm

Clothes Optional?

They missed a trick with designing the 'soft covering' by making it only cover the limbs rather than the joints. If they also wrapped the cloth around the exposed joints they would protect them from ingress of dust, water etc. when moving through the hazardous environment. It would be ironic if after smashing through a brick wall to rescue some object, the robot seized up from all the brick dust clogging up its gears. Perhaps they could send a guy in to retrieve the robot.

16. Mike Flugennock
    Paris Hilton

Famous last words:

"When the humans arrive, the robots and the humans will work together in conjunction building habs, laying foundations, and working together in a tight relationship..."

Any bets? C'mon, guys, get yer money out.

(Paris, because she's a robot with a soft covering)

17. Zmodem

they could download the oculus rift SDK

18. ecofeco Silver badge
    Trollface

Master Chief?!

Is that you?!

I guess we have a new phrase now: "As useful as tits on a robot."

Truly, this must be the 21st century. Now go away, I'm batin'!

1. Zmodem

Re: Master Chief?!

no, she stands like your gran who has given birth 300 kids

19. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

Reminds me of 7 of 9

I know, 7 of 9 is not an android, but that's not what I was thinking of

20. E 2

Not search and resue only

The spec is perfect for a robotic soldier. Bad idea.

Imagine Bush Junior with an army of these at his command. No Americans die, he could have laid waste all of central Asia and the Middle East and nobody in the USA would really know. Or imagine Obama ordering the robots to run down random people in cards in Yemen and Pakistan: "Intel said there was a high probability the people we just had dismembered might not like the USA".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like