back to article Linux Voice journos hit crowdfunding target

A brief update on the crowdfunding efforts of three British journalists, who left Linux Format to launch a new magazine. They have hit their £90,000 launch target for Linux Voice, 14 days before deadline. At time of writing, Andrew Gregory, Mike Saunders and Ben Everard have received £93,000 in pledges. They have an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Totally misread

Thought they were giving 50 cent back to the community, thought they were being cheapskates.

Either way sounds interesting, got annoyed with linux mags being almost as many adverts as actual content pages.

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Linux

I wish them all the best. Thing is, I never seem to have time to read any of this stuff.

1. Oh Homer
      Pint

Re: I wish them all the best

Ditto.

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to gloat at the naysayers who hoped the fundraising would fail, and remind the anti-choice nuts that diversity (or what they stigmatise as "fragmentation") is actually a very good thing (except for the anti-choice fanatics and aspiring dictators, who want to impose their limited preferences on everyone else, obviously).

3. Ian 55

Hooray!

And thank you ElReg for bringing it to my attention.

4. Oh Homer
    Mushroom

Re: "This post has been deleted by a moderator"

Strange, I thought Ballmer's flock of shills had been recalled ages ago, after Vole realised they were fighting a losing battle, but it seems there's still a few strays wandering about (apparently somewhere in the southern states, from the right-wing, homophobic tone).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I stopped reading Linux Format for 2 reasons;

1. The volume of advertising was reaching a point were it seemed as if there were more ads than content. This, as I understand it one of the many reasons why the gents behind Linux Voice left LF to start this venture. Kudos.

2. The editorial line. It seemed to focus on slagging off other non-OSS platforms. Talk about preaching to the choir! This issue is down to the writers and editorial staff, so I'll ask, nay beg here; don't do it. It makes you look either smug or small and sometimes ill-informed. We get enough of that online! It ruined for me something that was otherwise extremely well written.

Congratulations on succeeding with phase one gentlemen. I look forward to reading your new magazine.

6. Luke McCarthy

People still buy magazines?

1. charlie-charlie-tango-alpha
      Happy

Oh yes indeed. Because taking a tablet into the bog with you looks a little, shall we say, suspect.......

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

...and not only does it look a little suspect, but have you tried wiping your bottom with one when you realise the paper's run out?

2. Primus Secundus Tertius

Only for the "free" DVDs. Occasionally they contain software that justifies a year's purchases of the mag.

So I stopped buying one "mainstream" mag after it ditched the DVD.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like