back to article Bluetooth Smart to tap IPv6-powered Internet of Things after 4.1 upgrade

The brains behind Bluetooth have published a new version of the wireless peripheral specification which will, they claim, enhance the standard’s support for the very low-power gizmos that make up the Internet of Things. Bluetooth’s suitability for wearable kit, from smartwatches to health monitors and fitness gauges, will be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dick Emery

TNG coms

I want a working TNG coms badge.

1. Synonymous Howard

Re: TNG coms

This is close...

http://www.technologytell.com/gaming/47749/dream-cheekys-star-trek-themed-usb-gadgets/

2. Neoc

Software/protocol update only or will it require new hardware?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oops - I guess they weren't paying attention

It would have been nice if the Bluetooth folks had engaged a few years ago when the IETF and IEEE were standardizing all of this stuff. 802.5.14 and 6LoPAN can do this all now. Why try and promulgate another, competitive standard other than "oops, we weren't paying attention."

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Re: Oops - I guess they weren't paying attention

It would have been nice if the 802.5.14 folks had engaged a few years ago when the IETF and IEEE were standardizing all of this stuff. From the Wikipedia article:

The requirements for membership in the ZigBee Alliance causes problems for Free Software developers because the annual fee conflicts with the GNU General Public Licence.[13] The requirement for the developer to join the ZigBee Alliance similarly conflicts with most other free software licenses.[14]

The ZigBee Alliance board has been asked to make their license compatible with GPL, but the ZigBee board refused. The refusal came, even though Bluetooth had already changed their license to make it compatible with GPL. Linux developers seem ready to abandon ZigBee, and use TCP/IP instead

4. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

All this IPv6 WPAN goodness…

… and not a single IPv6-capable cellular network anywhere.

Least not here in Australia. Even Internode, who offer IPv6 on their fixed plans, don't offer it on their (Optus-based) 3G services.

sigh

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like