back to article Indian MOM sails past the Moon on the way to Mars

India's Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM), the Mangalyaan craft, has passed the Moon on its way to its ultimate destination, the Red Planet. "MOM has crossed the distance of Moon's orbit this morning," the Indian space authority's Facebook page said excitedly. "MOM is now the farthest object sent into space by India!" As of 11.30am …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What do you mean you are starving?

Just think of the prestige this country will get, and as for your brother, he is five years old now, he can work in the fields he doesn't need to go to school for that does he.

Your mother does not need medical attention, she is already blind.

Now leave me, I have nuclear weapons to order.

Who do these people think they are, they should know their place.

1. Captain DaFt

But enough about the USA, the article's about India's space program!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So, yes there are people starving in India. Are you telling me there are no people starving in any of the first world countries? India is by no means poor and it is doing a lot to give the under privileged support. For the sake of argument, lets assume India is indeed extremely poor and begs for foreign aid, does that mean it has no rights to do anything to push itself out of it? It shouldn't invest money into something that will help it in the long run?

India has satellites that monitor weather conditions, used by farmers to aid their crops. India uses the weather satellites to monitor Tsunami and other natural calamities that occur along its costal borders. After the tsunami, it has only increased its focus on these endeavours. I guess you'd be happier if it didn't take any preventive steps and then you'd have a new angle to blame the country by saying its not doing anything to prevent calamities and depends on foreign aid to help it sort disasters.

Another angle is, India has neighbours that are not in good terms with it. They are aggressive and tend to show their muscle in both defence technology and space technology. India's space initiatives are also to let their neighbour know that the country is very much capable of countering any threat. I see this as a preemptive measure to counter any possible aggressions towards it.

India has numerous scientists and engineers. Instead of giving them jobs, it makes sense in letting them go to find employment in other countries? Let the scientists educated in India (the government invests a lot for exceptional talent by spending for their education) go ahead and find a job in NASA and other space agencies because India has provided them education, but not a job?

Finally, irrespective of the facts mentioned above, India uses its Space technology to launch satellites for other countries as well and they get paid for it. Any business will try to market its business to get more customers.

3. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Unhappy

I'm not going to point any fingers at India until we've got things sorted out in our own remote communities here in Australia. (Don't hold your breath)

2. Oninoshiko

GO MOM!

That is all!

3. PatchZero

Great job

Fantastic achievement ISRO. Chandrayaan next then!!

4. Syntax Error
    Unhappy

British envy?

5. JaitcH
    WTF?

Let's hope that India and Pakistan can be crossed off the ...

aid, handouts and free grant lists now they have money to waste on nuclear weapons and spacecraft.

Did you know that the UK actually still sends grant money to Israel! Some needy country!

Nuts.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Let's hope that India and Pakistan can be crossed off the ...

Dude you need a reality check. Just google 'Gurgaon', 'Bangalore' etc in google images. You would see what India is....and stop comparing India to your Pakistan. Next you will compare US economy to Mexico, just because they are neighbors. India doesn't need your aid. However, if you need some aid, please don't hesitate to approach India : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24931002

2. billat29

Re: Let's hope that India and Pakistan can be crossed off the ...

No no no! Overseas aid is spent on diplomats,"consultants" and "aid workers".

You don't think they stand on street corners handing it out to the poor, do you?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Outsourcing & Offshoring anyone?

Psst, hey UK/USA, wanna send a spacecraft cheaply ?

That'll be only $ 74 million.

You see, thats the amount you will initially be required to spend on planning permission, A Royal commission to decide the launchpad site (by a geriatric retired Supreme court judge who might have no idea what a cryogenic engine looks like or its purpose in life) , and appeasement of Greenpeace activists and environment lobby (who might think the site might damage some butterfly/bee habitats or tadpole crossing paths), just to get started. (That will be the year 2030 when the half-greek will be king, having his own deranged opinions on the ugliness of spacecraft designs and aesthetics). There might be another commission to decide whether this will cross and impact the HS2 link in any adverse way.

Oh, did I mention the Nimby local councillors you will need to bribe?

Go figure.

Sceince for science's sake. FFS.

I applaud thee, India. Well done.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like