back to article 4G networks are BIG TIME SUCK for us videogame-obsessed Brits

Brits with 4G mobile contracts are wasting more time than ever by crunching their way through content - with over a quarter of them using their gadgets to download videogames. More people are also using the faster mobile networks to shop online, especially to track down the best deals. That's the findings from market research …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

4G offers nothing that

3G wont for the majority.

As i tried to explain to the call centre droid last week.

"Hi, I'm calling from EE to tell you about YOUR chance to upgrade to 4G for only £29.99"

Me: "Thanks but i'm not interested in 4G."

Droid: "Ok, i understand that you're not interested, what is it exactley you aren't interested in?"

Me: "bye". Click...

And my 4G experience ended there. Doubling my price to play some tosser at some shite game.

Piss off.

2. Richard 22
    Thumb Down

Causality

Are they suggesting their survey shows that 4G encourages people to download more, surf more etc? I'm not sure how they can draw that conclusion definitively - surely people more inclined to do those things are the ones who would have jumped on the 4G bandwagon. People who use their phone less would be happy with 3G.

The conclusion I would draw is - people who use their phone more get 4G contracts and continue to use their phone more than people who have 3G.

3. deadlockvictim

Subhead

I thought that there was only one Mall in England that goes by the name of 'The Mall'. Indeed, shopping centres in the States were named after the aforementioned thoroughfare.

I am open to correction on their being other thoroughfares by the name of The Mall in places like Bath and Bristol.

1. Great Bu

Re: Subhead

Au contraire - I live on The Mall in Preston (google PR2 6DU) - no quite as salubrious as the London one.....

2. AceRimmer
      Headmaster

"the mall" in the subhead is not capitalised, so is not the definite article, i.e. The Mall (AKA Pall Mall) and so it would refer to the other usage of the word as a synonym for what us normal people call a shopping centre.

There are some malls in the UK, Bluewater (in Kent) refers to itself as a mall as does BIrchwood Mall near Warrington. I'm sure there are others!

3. jonathanb Silver badge

The Mall Co owns 6 of them - http://www.themall.co.uk/

and as it is a generic name, other companies can call their shopping centres "the mall" as well.

4. Shady

Be nice if I could even get 4G

I spend my time flitting between Nottingham and Sheffield. According to EE I have good 4G coverage, but according to me, I haven't even seen a 4G signal once in three months. Only the fact that I've been so overworked that I haven't had time to watch cat videos has stopped me from complaining about it.

5. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    FAIL

Be nice if I could even get 3G

I think the title says it all for me. 4G can really go fcuk itself.

6. James_Scotland
    Thumb Up

Showrooming

What a name for it.. love it!

I do this all the time now, stuff buying something without checking price comparison and reviews.

Shop-Savvy app on android does the trick for price comparisons online & locally.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here in North Wales we'd love to be able to get 2G everywhere, let alone 3G!!!

8. Zmodem

i plug my 3g phone into my PC and have been using web n walk for my only home connection on my for 7 years, downloading ISO`s and updating windows and doing everything else

all good, USB, or bluetooth modem in your pocket instead of wifi hotspots

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"i plug my 3g phone into my PC and have been using web n walk for my only home connection on my for 7 years"

Lucky you. Most of the rest of us have to fork out for a landline, broadband and mobile because at home we can only get a signal from network A, and then only in the upstairs back room. Lazy f***ers at the mobile companies are so busy messing around making Kevin Bacon adverts that they've completely overlooked the real money making opportunity that exists if they actually had a 3G (HDSPA+) service that offered sufficient speed and coverage to allow the rest of us to abandon land lines altogether.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like