back to article World Trade Organisation chief warns global deals are ABOUT TO TANK

The World Trade Organisation head Roberto Azevedo has warned that the first potential global deal in over 10 years – which deals with issues like tariffs on goods, food security and faster global trade – hangs in the balance after talks in Geneva. Azevedo said that negotiations had been held up in sight of the finishing line …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 7

"Not a single human being living in poverty

anywhere in the world will be better-off if we fail in Bali."

And very few if any will benefit if you dont. Some multi-nationals will do very well.

1. asdf

Re: "Not a single human being living in poverty

Yep when even the pope sees the truth on trickle down your leg economics the man behind the curtain has been revealed.

2. Anomalous Cowshed

"Not a single human being living in poverty anywhere in the world will be better-off if we fail...

What turn of phrase! What scope for deniability! What outstanding mastery of cunning linguistics!

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Mushroom

If goods won't pass borders, armies will.

Governments: Reluctant because "MUH TAX REVENUE REDUCED!!"

Unions: Reluctant because "MUH JOBS OUTSOURCED!!"

Greens: Reluctant because "MUH ENVIRONMENT DESTROYED!!"

Anti-globalist cretins: Reluctant because "MUH EXPLOITATION OF DA POOR WORSENED!!"

Anti-capitalists: "MUH POWA OF MULTINATIONALS INCREASED!"

Mercantilists: "MUH TRADE BARRIERS REDUCED!"

Nanny staters: "MUH HOMELAND QUALITY CONTROL!!!"

Marxists: "ISN'T ECONOMICS A ZERO-SUM GAME??"

The Fletcher Memorial Home still accepts applicants.

1. asdf

Re: If goods won't pass borders, armies will.

Keep spouting your ideology. Because of course the US plans of only domestically manufacturing financial derivatives and having Asia produce everything else have done wonders for our soft power in the world. Great for the yacht owners who could give a crap about nations but few others.

2. asdf

Re: If goods won't pass borders, armies will.

Nothing capital loves more than finding the path of least resistance to slavery and child labor in the world. That is why this treaty is so important to make that path smoother.

4. Don Jefe

Yay! New agreements to twist, tear, mutilate and spindle!

Trade isn't going to speed up because of this, even if it's successful. International trade isn't hampered by bureaucracy between nations as much as it is hampered by the 153 different groups that 'process' and charge, for each little step in between points A & Z. If I want to send $20M of finished robots to say, Brazil, the government part of the process takes a few minutes as I fill out the forms and sign a few checks. It's the zillion other things that add zero value, but increase the costs and timelines exponentially.

There's no reason that my products need to sit for 90 days inside a warehouse at both ends of the trip while the ship to carry them is moored 60 miles off the coast waiting on the OK from another party, not involved in any part of the transaction, to enter the harbor. It isn't the governments doing all those things and many more. It's countless private parties who have weaseled their way into the process and who get to charge for doing nothing other than breathing. It's really fucking stupid and we as consumers are the ones that pay for it, pay a lot for it too.

The WTO can have all the big circle-jerks they want and it won't make a jot of difference to anyone except the largest importers/exporters who already get streamlined treatment. Pisses me off. "Poor people are still going to be poor if we don't give big commodities brokers a cut rate deal". Yeah, fuck you. Just be a man about it and straight up say you want to give large trading interests better deals. Don't put it on poor people who can't afford your corn, beef, cotton, flat pack furniture and oil anyway, jackasses.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'fail the poor worldwide'...

'Poor worldwide' what? ...Corporations?!!!.... Sorry to be a cynic, but even Warren Buffet says trickle down economics is total bs. This reminds me of a similar argument made by GMO corps and their promises 'to end world hunger'...

1. asdf

Re: 'fail the poor worldwide'...

But of course its never corporatism's fault. Its always government who dares to make killing the populace less lucrative.

2. Don Jefe

Re: 'fail the poor worldwide'...

Trickle down economics is a perfectly sound model as long as everything is based around fairly labor intensive production. When we decided that the best way to make money wasn't by producing things, but by playing numbers games on stock markets the model fell down. There is no reason to tie your money up in actually accomplishing something when it's far simpler and cheaper to dick around with millisecond trades, wonky derivatives and bizzaro world arithmetic. Besides, there's little risk, if you place your bets poorly you can sue everybody and/or get the government to cover you.

So while trickle down does work, that isn't what we're doing. It's an outright lie for government and big banks to say that we are.

6. Oh Homer
    Big Brother

"multilateralism"?

So in other words, a "world government" ... ruled by the Yanks, naturally.

Sorry, but no, I'm not especially keen to become a subject of the fascist American Empire. I like Blighty's borders just the way they are, thanks.

Oh, but "think of the poor".

Yes, I am. The Yanks have demonstrated quite unambiguously how they regard the poor: as cattle.

1. asdf

Re: "multilateralism"?

>The Yanks have demonstrated quite unambiguously how they regard the poor: as cattle.

What a load of bollocks. Its obvious the poor in America serve as warning to the middle class to keep their mouth shut.

2. Don Jefe

Re: "multilateralism"?

I bet the agricultural subsidies I get on my cattle and pasture land exceed the amount given to the poor, on a head-by-head basis. We treat our cattle better than our poor and the cattle have life and health insurance... It's royally fucked up.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like