back to article Thanksgiving ROAST in SPAAACE: Comet ISON faces FIERY SUN DEATH

On November 28, while many Americans will be sitting down to roast turkey and all the trimmings, Comet ISON faces being slowly cooked to death as it passes within a million miles of the Sun's surface. Now a top expert says the cosmic snowball has a less than fifty-fifty chance of surviving the encounter. "It's going to get …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

So if Ison does end up getting roasted...

It will be a turkey of a comet?

(There was a pretty decent PBS/National Geographic Channel special on the comet last week. It might be available online at PBS.org if anyone is interested.)

3. Paul Smith

Intelligent design at Nasa?

"... it will have started falling towards the Sun more than a million years ago, well before mankind even came down from the trees... "

I think our ancestors left the trees a lot more then one million years ago...

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Intelligent design at Nasa?

Was just coming here to post that myself. Depending on which subspecies you choose to include in the term "human", humans are between 8 and 6 million years old while hominids are at least 15 million years old.

We came out of the trees a hell of a lot longer than 1 million years ago.

1. asdf

Yeah I am sure the biologists and anthropologists cringed at that statement and wished the author kept to writing solely about astrophysics. Jarring, inaccurate, and completely irrelevant to the topic at hand.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maybe they were up in the trees watching all the comets?

3. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

"I think our ancestors left the trees a lot more then one million years ago..."

I return from time to time: http://www.hovnanian.com/images/treetrim.jpg

4. taxman
    Thumb Up

Two views a day

5am and 7pm - getting up and coming home. Nice. Just have to hope that we don't get our usual 10/10 cloud cover here!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Time Zones Please?

Some of us are somewhere else on the planet!

5. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Anonymous John

Re Since it was first spotted in September

September 2012 that is.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like