back to article Want to reach out and touch your Chromebook? How does $299 grab you?

Acer's latest entry in its line of budget Chromebooks is touch-enabled, making it the first time a Chrome OS device has shipped with a touchscreen while still being priced under $300. So far, the only Chromebook available with a touchscreen has been the high-end Chromebook Pixel, which also includes such tony features as a 219 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Eh?

a bog standard 11.6-inch, 1366-by-768 display

So it is still a pig even with some touchy feely lipstick but it is still a pig none the less.

In this day and age it must be time to more to higher resolution 'bog-standard' displays?

The words, 'Could do better' come to mind here. I'd even pay a bit more dosh for a better resolution screen.

Instead we get companies in a race to the bottom.

Even Paris deserves to to be seen in higher definition.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Eh?

Not to mention the Intel pig of a processor.

2. jason 7

Normally I would agree but on a 11" screen 1366x768 actually works fine for general use.

However, a move to say 1440x900 as a minimum would be nice.

Maybe next year.

1. Benchops

Vertical resolution of at least 1024 like we had 15 years ago would be nice! Just chop them off the side and stick them on the bottom!!

Is the slogan "touch every pixel"? 1366x768 on a 7" tablet is noticeably blocky. This is the 21st Century! come on make something I want to buy!!

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Touch? Meh.

But C720 has without looks like a decent netbook. Assuming the battery life isn't utter shite...

1. Jason Hindle

Re: Touch? Meh.

I'd assume Haswell, like the C720, so perhaps not. It's tempting, but it's time Google built some encryption options into its cloud.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Touch? Meh.

Oh, I always strip off ChromeOS and end up loading an ultra-lightweight Linux with Firefox. Sheild up, WiFi on standby...

3. Julian Bond

Can it run Winamp?

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

And does it whip the Llama's ass?

4. Richard Wharram

Linux drivers for the touchscreen?

Will it work with a standard distro? Anyone know?

5. Simon Rockman

Or get this..

http://www.wpcentral.com/black-friday-deal-surface-rt-32-gb-best-buy-199-us-only

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Or get this..

(US Only)

2. Robert E A Harvey

I assume you are having a larf. So I will. Can you install Linux on it?

3. Hellcat

The Gen1 SurfaceRT is a handy little device and for under $200 is a steal for the US market. Possibly the most direct competition for the Chromebook as I believe the Chromebook also has offline document editing and a fully HTML5 compliant browser to either 1) make up for the lack of native apps or 2) make native apps not required.

1 or 2 depending on your point of view.

1. Hellcat

The denial of facts is strong on this site.

Perhaps you can identify what is a better match for a competitor for this touch screen chromebook?

6. Spanners Silver badge

Will there be a valid exchange rate.

Any manufacturer who prices their products in US Dollars needs to remember that many people who buy IT kit can count and even look up things.

A quick Google shows be that $300 is about £183.90. If I add VAT to that, it is still under £221. In the past I have seen things advertised that indicate a $ to £ parity. Lets hope that never gets tried again...

Of course, if you wanted a value equivalent, $300 may have a purchasing power of about £150 at most...

7. saif

Croutons anyone?

Folk who use Chromebooks regularly, will want to dual boot it or at the very least have a chrooted second OS using crouton. This gives a fully functional touch enabled platform at fairly decent price, combined with a fast booting browse only OS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like