back to article GTA San Andreas: Now smack that disobedient hooker on your PHONE

While copies of the latest version of Grand Theft Auto V are flying off the shelves, Rockstar isn’t sitting on its laurels. It's announced it will bring the much-loved San Andreas 2004 version to phones and fondleslabs. "Encompassing Los Santos, San Fierro, Las Venturas and everything in between, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Piro Silver badge

Nice, but..

My hands ache from playing Carmageddon too much.

Fun, but phones just aren't good for a lot of gaming. San Andreas is a wee bit complex to play for a touchscreen, I'd wager.

2. UnauthorisedAccess
    Thumb Up

GTA San Andreas was (and still is, when I get nostalgic) one of the best games I ever played.

IMHO, Rockstar still haven't made a GTA that has that same RPG feel to your stats (if you can call it that) that San Andreas had.

1. Don Dumb

Agreed.

GTA San Andreas was the best GTA. It had all the elements of an expansive world with lots to do while still keeping the game fun. I think it's because they didn't try to put too much 'realism' into the game. I tried GTA IV but I didn't last long with it because I just didn't find it that much fun.

That said, I can't see how playing games like this on a touchscreen would work. There's just too many controls to try and include. The best touchscreen games I've played have simple control systems - Badlands being a classic example.

3. Dave 126 Silver badge

WTF El Reg?

That was a very noisy Microsoft Dynamics advert that accompanied this article. The Reg doesn't normally feature noisy adverts (if you did, I'd mute before visiting), so how did that one slip through?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Dave

What ads?

Now, I meant that a bit jestingly, but on a more serious matter; if that bothers you then install an adblocker and be done with it. If yours doesn't hide the ads then you might need something else. I'm using a combination of AdBlock plus and NoScript (at least available for Mozilla based browsers) and well, you already know my response ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @Dave

The Reg id an ad revenue driven site, you get to comment here because of the ads, just put up with them.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: @Dave

@AC

I agree.

That is why, unlike ShelLuser, I don't use Adblock on The Reg because their adverts aren't usually intrusive, and I consider that fair play. The Reg deserves its revenue.

Therefore a noisy ad on The Reg seemed out of place... it's a balancing act; if too many of their ads are a nuisance then more readers might activate Adblock.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...and I'm sure it will only need all of my available storage

Based on the companion app sizes for GTAV, a full game will most likely take up more space than most people have available on their devices.

1. Tank boy
      Facepalm

Re: ...and I'm sure it will only need all of my available storage

That's what I was thinking too for my Kindle Fire. So they'll either dumb it down, or come up with something that crushes my Kindle. Worse yet, they'll make it playable from that cloud thingy everyone is screaming about.

1. Mayhem

Re: ...and I'm sure it will only need all of my available storage

Well, on IOS - both phone and tablet, GTA III is 688MB, Vice City 1.1GB, so I'd expect SA to weigh in at somewhere around 2-3GB - a standard pc deployment was around 4.5GB and they can probably do some funky optimisation to reduce that.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here we go again

Blackberry bashing. Can't wait until the secure android run time engine is officially released to put an end to these Blackberry jabs. Its available now but not officially. Everything that runs on android will then run on Blackberry (except SECURELY !!!) So to the editors, enjoy your last few days of poking fun. Maybe I should post it running on my Z30

7. Michael Habel

So what about Java then?

Any chance they'll leave in the Hot Coffee bits in this?

8. Tom 260

Shame they didn't bother to remaster the graphics for the recent PS3 release, though perhaps they should use the team converting the games to mobile for their GTAV iFruit app, which despite being pretty simple (apart from a tamagotchi style interaction with the dog, the rest is all menus), requires a dual core 1.4GHz, which rules out even some brand new devices...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Controller support / remap buttons

Any chance of adding support for proper controllers to remap the buttons?

GTA3 is fun to play on my Android convertible tablet, especially when I plug the PS3 controller in.

However, the buttons are mapped all over the place. The triangle, for example, which usually gets into the car, is used for shooting...

I tried playing it on touchscreen, just no. Horrible experience.

10. Scott 62

>clip

MAGAZINE DAMNIT

my /k/ is showing

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like