back to article SIM-free unlocked iPhones coming to a channel near you...

The faint hopes of some Apple resellers were smashed AGAIN this weekend when Ingram Micro became the second tech distributor in a month to confirm it will sell SIM-lock-free Jesus mobes ... in Europe but not the UK. Following in the shadows of nemesis Tech Data, vast wholesaler Ingram Micro confirmed it is shipping the iPhone …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DavCrav

Freedom of movement of goods within the EU?

1. ukgnome

That's pretty much what I was thinking, there isn't any restriction or tax to pay.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I often buy Apples from nearby countries

When passing thru CH its very convenient to use their 7% VAT rate at physical Applestores instead of the neighbouring Eu nations' 21 or 22%'s. However best EU online prices I've found on unlocked iPhone 4S's in Italy (from CHL) is £342 (for a White iP4S 8GB), the equivalent AppleStore Italy price for exactly the same phone is £358. If I had to buy one i'd probably pay the extra £16 and get it from Apple.it - in UK your unlocked £349 price for the iP4S is also pretty good, its only a tenner more than the unlocked price in France.

I saved about €100 on an iPod Touch 5th generation by buying a 'new' (grey import) from UK Amazon, compared to the retail price in EU, but then again I didn't get it posted but picked it up on Vauxhall Bridge Road as i was passing through UK. There are many fairly suspicious 'cheap' Apple items currently on Amazon Market from 'recently opened' businesses - these I wouldn't trust with my dosh!

In defence of the euro-single-market, I do order cat+dogfood cross-borders - mostly from Germany via the Zooplus virtual shops - but I just had a big box (months supply ~£70ish) nicked by the carrier, I guess that cross-border Apple products are also very likely to get lost!

One big UK success for cross-euro postal delivery is M&S/Next/JohnLewis/Boden who seem to get items over to us in the EU about 12 hours after ordering, and the delivery companies have so-far been honest!

2. JaitcH
    WTF?

There should be a EU ...

law that forces deals in one EU country be honoured/offered in all others.

Of course, Britain is either half in or half out of the EU so perhaps some of the blame belongs to Cameron and Company.

3. NeilMc

interesting point

So if one extrapolates that viewpoint the decision on whether the UK stays in / out or indeed shakes it all about regarding EU membership will come down to a fight between the "corporates" many of which pay no taxtaxes and yet demand all the benefits of membership........

e.g. Banks, Financial Institutions, Car Manufacturers etc will lobby for the UK to stay in the EU to retain access to the large market, whilst Apple and others will lobby for us to leave so that they can carve up the EU into discreet markets and pricing for its products.

The UK's population with our major concerns regarding immigration, population explotion and the resultant pressures this is placing on the NHS, our education system, affordable housing and the social security system will not even get a vote......................

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like