back to article John McAfee punted from Portland party pad

IT's funnest guy, John McAfee, is making news again for things that have very little to do with technology. McAfee-watchers will recall that he last year found himself in all sorts of trouble after being accused of murder, fleeing Belize before being deported from Guatemala to the USA. He later washed up in the hipster city of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. scarshapedstar

$1200 a month

...that's actually not a lot. I guess it depends on your definition of 'at least'.

2. buyone

Cheap Digs

$1200 a month gets you a 2 bedroom house in Winchester, Hampshire, UK

so .... is business bad?

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: Cheap Digs

That gets you about 45 square metres of flat in Munich, if you are lucky. My 90 SQM flat outside cost me 1300 Euros a month, but was half an hour by train from the centre (hence it being relatively cheap).

In Woking, before I moved to Germany, I was paying more than $1200 for my 40SQM flat.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He's in the wrong place. He needs to head to the deep south. He would be more than welcomed as a high tech redneck.

Oh yeah, and "cocaine is a hell of a drug"

4. Tom 38

his rented party pad … shelling out at least $US1200 a month for his digs

So, less than I pay for my 50 m² box in London then?

5. FunkyEric

I also

Wish my rent was only $1200!

6. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Has anyone alerted Montreal?

How is he getting into Canada? Canadians that so much as sniff at the US border, thereby bringing the faintest whiff of 'Moral Turpitude' (e.g. drug use) are banned from the USA for life.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Has anyone alerted Montreal?

Canada accepts anyone, it's getting back into the USA that is the problem.

Around 10 years ago I went on a trip from the USA to Canada with a big group of friends. One car load of friends got stopped and had their car and bags searched at the border. The Canadian border guards found a bag of marijuana and a pipe, confiscated it, told my friends who they confiscated it from where in Vancouver they could go to get more, and let everyone go on their way.

1. disgruntled yank

Re: Has anyone alerted Montreal?

Hmm. Back in the day (1975), I was on a bus between NYC and Toronto. In those days, I got a haircut about every five months; I happened to be seated next to a fellow who got them less often, and had also a pretty fair beard. At the border station, he and I were the only US or Canadian citizens asked to step off for baggage inspection. Both got through.

And it is fair to say that on my way back into the US at Detroit, the American guy amused himself for a few minutes demanding proof of citizenship, pointing out that any old body good get a drivers license or a draft card.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, this should be interesting...

I'm waiting for a news story out of Montreal with McAfee getting into a slugging match with some store employee--"Who are you?!? Why can't you speak English!"

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

McAfee - he knows how to party, would love to see hin hook up with Charlie Sheen.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That would make an epic film!

Got me thinking McAfee should take over in Two and Half men..

9. Petrea Mitchell
    Go

Montreal, eh?

I'd've thought he'd fit right in in Toronto.

10. Bruce Ordway

McAfee in Canada?

Ontario? Hanging with Rob Ford?

This topic is closed for new posts.