back to article GoDaddy kicks off gTLD land rush with first domain sales

Domain dealer GoDaddy has begun the first registrations of domains under the ICANN generic top-level domain (gTLD) programme. The company said that it will be allowing customers to pre-register sites in the .build, .luxury, .uno and .menu domains. The release marks the first registration for the new domains since the Internet …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

I'm baffled by this...

How many people actually search in a *domain* to find a website? Hit one of the search engines, restrict to results in your country of interest, sorted.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm baffled by this...

it's NOTHING to do with the end users, it's the PERCEPTION of the website owners who IMAGINE that having this or that specific .domain will make them famous (= rich). And don't forget the penis envy: "Our business is bigger and better than those shithead competitors in our field, so we will outbid them all to show who's the boss here. Even if we're going to pay shitloads of money for this .domain, we WIN!

And this perception of profitability and "desireability" is going to be be gently (and not so gently) impressed upon them by those who flog the domain names, e.g. godaddy.

2. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: I'm baffled by this...

Most people don't even know that you can type in domains directly. They type things like "facebook.com" into the google search box.

2. Steve Foster
    Pint

Uno

"For example, .uno sites will be primarily intended for Spanish-language content"

You mean, it's not for the eponymous card-based drinking game?

(obligatory icon)

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Uno

I would generally look to .es sites for Spanish language content, or of course the domains from the other Spanish speaking countries.

2. Pen-y-gors

Re: Uno

I assumed .uno was for United Nations Organisation sites

3. frank ly

"If multiple parties apply for pre-registration, ..."

This raises many questions and has many possibilities for corruption.

4. Anthony Hegedus Silver badge
    Megaphone

Who cares? I meet hundreds of different people in my (IT) line of work and everybody without exception just searches for stuff. Half the time in google chrome, even if you type a domain name it goes and does a search anyway. Just as DNS makes the need for people to hunt for IP addresses superfluous, decent search engines make the need for domain names superfluous. Even Bing.

5. silent_count

Who will benefit

Malware and anti-malware peddlers. The former from more bugs in the increasingly complex code to handle URLs and from being able to get real-looking sites (amex-philchingsite.bank or whatever). And the latter from more software sales to fend off the former.

1. Ian 55

Re: Who will benefit

You missed out domain registrars, all eagerly anticipating people and businesses with more money than sense wanting stupidname.luxury because they have / don't have stupidname.com

6. JeevesMkII

Gettcha fake Fendi and Rolex....

.luxury sounds like the most tacky possible bit of internet real estate. I can only assume it's a honeytrap for spammers. I think I might put in a rule now that moves all emails with a .luxury domain in the header or body to spam.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Gettcha fake Fendi and Rolex....

.luxury domains will go for ~$780 USD each. Won't see many spammers here.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh yeah more gTLDs

Can anyone count the failed TLDs that were marketed as the next best thing to .com?

1. Nat C.

Re: Oh yeah more gTLDs

Hmmm, let's see here....

.cc

.cx

.us (To be fair this one gets a bit of use from European/Asian companies with a US presence, ie. aldi.us)

.tk

.me

.co

.io

I know I'm missing a few. And that's a US-centric list so there may have been others offered elsewhere in the world as "the next best thing to .com"

Of course the only REAL next best thing to .com is .net

If you can't get either one of those, time to think up a new domain name.

8. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

>> The new naming options will open up significant inventory and give business owners and entrepreneurs, and the public in general, more relevant choices that are specific to their business or location.

Let my fix that …

"The new naming options will open up significant inventory and give us more opportunities to blackmail businesses into giving us more money lest their name fall into the hands of a squatter".

In any case, most people are used to ".com", and for us in the UK, ".uk" - plus a handful of other country codes they come across. Apart from the observations above that most people don't know what a domain name is, if they do, then I think people will be wary of these "obviously fake because I've never heard of them" new TLDs.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like