back to article Microsoft teases mobile developers with 'big' Silverlight deals

Microsoft aims to nail deals with major handset on Silverlight in the next few months, taking the media player software beyond the beachhead it has established with Nokia. The company today said its goal is for "big" deals with manufacturers porting Silverlight to and distributing Silverlight with Windows and non-Windows …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy Worth

No...

No no no....I don't want to install Silverlight.....no matter how many times you ask me when I visit your site Microsoft. The more you ask, the more I don't want it.

2. Joel Stobart
    Gates Horns

Anything flash(lite) can do....

... Microsoft can copy

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Microsoft tax

I will not buy any phone that contains Silverlight and will also start spreading the word that anyone who purchases a phone containing that piece of shite will be paying more than they should because part of the cost of the phone is going to Microsoft - ie they are paying a Microsoft tax.

Microsoft make me laugh. The describe the GPL as cancer because it attaches itself to anything it touches (which is not true) but what are Microsoft. Using Silverlight as an example Microsoft are a disease as they try to infect as many things as possible. We need to find a cure and find it soon otherwise the whole world is doomed!

Paris - Because I bet she likes Silver and hates doing it in the light! Or because, like Microsoft, she doesn't pay any tax. :o)

4. Geoff Mackenzie
    Joke

Ground breaking

"The benefit is you write your application to Silverlight, stick it on a web server, and now you can go ahead and target these devices,"

Never seen the likes of this before. Good to know we can count on MS to innovate.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Every platform?

I doubt it, it doesn't even support PowerPC Macs for version 2.0!

6. StooMonster
    Unhappy

Innovation

Microsoft, go and invent something new and useful instead of copying Adobe. One Flash is enough for the world.

7. Stern Fenster

@StooMonster

"Microsoft, go and invent something new and useful instead of copying"

Why start now?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Resistance is futile

You will be assimilated

9. John Miles
    Dead Vulture

re: One Flash is enough for the world.

wrong - one Flash is too much for the world the way it gets misused by web developers

10. Andy Turner

Regardless of how good your point might appear to be...

.. it never quite seems as compelling when they add one of those it's-so-old Paris because comments at the end. Sheesh guys, that's joke's been done. Many times, for long enough. It's never funny.

11. frymaster

I've used flash, and I've user Silverlight...

...and I know which one I'd rather use

Hint: it is not available from adobe's website.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Remember...

Embrace, Extend, Extinguish.

You have been warned.

13. StooMonster
    Unhappy

One Flash, Two Flash, Three Flash, more?

@John Miles

Hehe! That's what I meant. ;)

One Flash is already one more than the world needs, we certainly don't need two more than the world needs.

We definately don't need an open souce alternative either as then we'll have three bandwidth sucking resource whores.

@frymaster

What does "I've used" mean? Developed in ... or just watched an advert or navigated a site in Flash/Silverlight?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

Silverlight is for developers

It's 100x more productive to develop for silverlight than for flash or ajax, at least for real world apps. MS have made top notch, low cost dev tools and api and so it's of very little cost in any measure to develop for it. It will succeed, whether a handful of overly-vocal aspergers like it or not.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

i'll second that anonymous coward

Silverlight 2.0 (currently in beta) is way more productive to devlop in than Flash. IMHO whether the resulting app is 'better' or 'worse' or 'the same' as it's Flash equivalent is irrelevant really, it's the devlopment experience that is going to win over people; and the joy of being able to debug Silverlight code in the Visual Studio IDE beats the Flash development experience hands down.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Anything Microsoft can do....

... Apple can copy

(and of course reverse)

Just to chuck an anti-Apple rant in the mix for good measure :-)

As for Flash though it's more a case of anything XYZ can do, Adobe will buy, ruin, bloat, and install crud on your machine worse than anything Microsoft can do (e.g. "Adobe Reader and the 100% CPU of doom").

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like