back to article Citizen Kano pitches easy-build Raspberry Pi for code-hungry kids

Anyone can toss together a Raspberry Pi and a bunch of accessories and call it a computer learning kit, but Kano has a more joined-up approach which it’ll put into production if it can raise $100,000 by the middle of December. Launched on Kickstarter yesterday, Kano the computer is described by Kano the company - named after …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mr. A
    Pint

Well done lads

Have one of these ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well done lads

'Guides them through watching You Tube videos?'

Hmmm ok and where does the security aspect come into it, or should be rely on ISP filters?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ok

I think I will stick with Lego, real books and the outdoors and leave my children to continue with a happy childhood not blighted by the Internet, served up ads or Facebook.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Ok

good idea, while your it it, make sure they never touch a computer or any form of technology.

But don't bitch when they spend their lives living in a bedsit on the dole.

It's called a balance, it can exist.

2. Lamont Cranston
        Joke

Re: Ok

I'm glad your enjoying your Lego, books, and outdoor games. What are your kids up to?

2. NogginTheNog
    Pint

Bugger me!

That would've done just nicely for my son for Xmas. I'm gonna chip in, fingers crossed he'll get one for next Xmas?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At frist I thought.....

...why not a build a real pc, then I actually read the article....

I like it and something my 5 year old daughter would love and I guess that the level it's aimed at, primary school kids.

4. James Boag

hmmm

Lets see he is related to Saul Klein of Index Ventures

"Klein is lucky enough to have a relative who is one of the biggest names in London's venture capital community. Saul Klein of Index Ventures"

and he's still begging for money to repackage a Pi, Still slightly cheaper than maplin !

5. Crispy
    Thumb Up

Looks great, hope they make it.

I've signed up.

6. Lamont Cranston
    Go

Lovely.

Now I'm torn between this and my intended "father/son bonding project" that would have been helping the little'un to build his first PC.

1. Snapper
      Happy

Re: Lovely.

Get him one of these, then he'll have a career in IT rather than a few memories of building something that has a vulture on its shoulder.

7. Salts

Made Funding

Seems the Kano has made it's funding target with 29 days to go, that's not bad.

It looks good, seems very well thought out and the price is great.

8. Christoph
    Headmaster

I do have one hesitation about backing that. You get one of the very early kits.

I'd rather have one of the later kits after they've fixed the inevitable early problems!

9. CliveM

Why do I sense...

...the kids would learn more knocking together a crystal radio for less money? I still remember building mine aged 9, being taught how to solder it up on a piece of stripboard by my Dad, making it not from "parts for a crystal radio" but from "parts".

Now, just where did I stash those new old stock OA90's for my kids...

10. Lamont Cranston

Hold on a minute!

"tweaked version of Debian Wheezy which guides the young user through assembling the machine"

Dad, how do I put this together? "Just boot it up and read the tutorials." How do I boot it up if I haven't put it together yet? "You need to read the tutorial." How do I get to the tutorial? "Boot it up and ... umm ... there was a little man ... in his hair ..."

I'm also looking forward to the text version of Snake.

: GO NORTH

You GO NORTH. You are in a room.

: EXAMINE ROOM

There is a NUMBER.

: EXAMINE NUMBER

It is a NUMBER 3.

: EAT NUMBER 3.

You EAT the NUMBER 3. You grow longer.

1. TheOtherHobbes

Re: Hold on a minute!

More like:

*** Entrepreneur Version 1.0 ***

: MOVE TO SHOREDITCH

You are now in Shoreditch.

: USE INCREDIBLY RICH RELATIVE

You do not have a INCREDIBLY RICH RELATIVE.

You are now on JOBSEEKERS ALLOWANCE being bullied by ATOS.

GAME OVER

11. Benjol
    Facepalm

Almost, but not quite. Eight of them have been working on it for a year, so they obviously don't really need the money.

They need to SELL.

And they just did :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like