back to article TOXIC DOLPHIN SANDWICH on the menu, say hacktivists

Entities using the name and iconography of Anonymous (EUTNAIOA) and claiming to come from the USA have threatened a series of online attacks against the Japanese government in protest at the continued practice of dolphin hunting in the small town of Taiji. The online collective launched its OpKillingBay campaign last week and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Facepalm

Here we go!

So, more of those "non-leaders" herding the flock again? LOL, given their usual incompetence, expect DDoS attacks of sites with content on the Tajos River, the singer Seo Taiji, history sites mentioning Huang Taiji, people named Tao Ji..... Maybe Hayden Panatierre can use the event to promote her calf-skin handbags?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Re: Here we go!

Anonymous member Jeremy Hammond recently got a 10-year prison sentence for hacking into systems at the urging of "Sabu" - an Anonymous member named Hector Xavier Monsegur who turned out to be an FBI informant (http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/15/jeremy-hammond-anonymous-hacker-sentenced).

These young men are being sold down the river by their own "friends" and associates.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clearly they know nothing at all about Japanese culture and think that hacking is the solution to everything. I consider myself a bit of a Japanofile, but I'm also opposed to their Whaling and similar hunting of other such animals. The problem is that directly attacking Japanese in this manner doesn't work, it just looks like outsiders who know nothing about what is considered their local culture enforcing standards upon them and understandably this can get their backs up.

1. M Gale

it just looks like outsiders who know nothing about what is considered their local culture enforcing standards upon them

And what would giving people dolphin meat disguised as tuna sound like to you?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Angel

It probably doesn't matter to them if it doesn't work.

Like Sea Shepherd, the bunch of hippy rich kids seems to get a moral boost by targeting Japan instead of, say, Norway or the Faroe Islands. It also probably gives them more media coverage and a nice bit of sponsorship?

Maybe they would prefer Japan to continue whaling, so that they can keep harassing them? If Japan stopped whaling, they would lose the "soft" target and won't have anything else to play with.

3. John Tserkezis

I'll have the dolphin burger please, yes, the one in the CFC-based styrofoam box, I'll eat it in my non emmissions-controllled car that uses lead-based fuel. When I get home, I'll drink from my super high alcohol homebrew beer, that was chilled in a refrigerator using an R22 refrigerant.

No-one can stop me because somewhere in the world, each of these are entirely legal. Right now.

And I'll enjoy them today, because tomorrow I'll probably die of cancer.

1. Piro Silver badge

♫ I'm an asshole, the world's biggest asshole ♫

That's what came into my head after reading your post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs

1. Great Bu

Re: ♫ I'm an asshole, the world's biggest asshole ♫

Amusingly for me it brought up the bit from 'No cure for cancer' where Denis Leary does the "Don't eat the tuna....Why ? ....Beacuse dolphins get caught in the nets......what about the tuna ?....fuck them, they taste good...." diatribe.

Are dolphins actually endangered ? As far as my extensive 10 second googling can ascertain, a few species are but not many. As long as the species that are being hunted for nibbles are not endangered then why should we care any more about these than about any other non-endangered food species ?

4. Ken Y-N
    Stop

The numbers don't add up

> It claims officials in Taiji have bribed central government to allow this export trade, which it says pulls in annual sales of over $850m

If we take a high-end wholesale price for tuna of around US$30 per kilo, that would make 28,300 tonnes of dolphin a year. A dolphin can weigh about 500 kg, and assuming it gets sold bones and all, that makes 56,600 dolphins-worth. Taiji catches up to 2,400 dolphins per year, perhaps 13% (probably more) of the nationwide catch, or about 18,500 dolphins. So either they are getting US$100 or more per kilo for tinned dolphuna, or they are Making Shit Up.

Confusing dollars and yen could be possible, of course, to give a figure of $8.5 million, but the only export I would expect would be as a mystery meat in pet food.

1. albaleo

Re: The numbers don't add up

Figures at the link below show exports in 2010 were worth 276,950,000 yen, which is approximately $275,000 (at today's rates). So yes, it looks like they may be making shit up, and then some.

http://en.elsaenc.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/ELSA-Number_of_Dolphins_Exported_from_Japan.pdf

1. albaleo

Re: The numbers don't add up

Oops, a bit early in the week for mental arithmetic. Should be about $2,750,000 dollars.

5. MJI Silver badge

Perhaps some reclassification required

We all know Dolphins are pretty clever, not too far behind the average human. And ahead of the average chav.. And a long long way ahead of food animals. (Cattle are pretty thick)

Yet it is illegal to hunt chavs for food so why are Dolphins not protected by law? Why should a sentient animal be hunted like this?

I would also rather that chavs were used as pet food rather than intelligent animals.

TBH I would also include the great apes in the protection.

1. Mike Brown

Re: Perhaps some reclassification required

if we are going to only eat dumb animals say goodbye to bacon sandwiches.

2. Somerset John

Ummm, chavs are Great Apes too! Admittedly mentally challenged, but is that a good reason to feed them to fluffy?

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Pirate

Re: Somerset John Re: Perhaps some reclassification required

Maybe we can feed the chavs to the dolphins in a kind of exchange program? Maybe we chop up and dump in the oceans maybe a dozen chavs for each dolphin - sounds like a fair exchange rate to me.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Somerset John Perhaps some reclassification required

"Maybe we can feed the chavs to the dolphins in a kind of exchange program?"

Make it political hacks instead of chavs, and you've got a deal!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Oh look at all those Chavs, it's a good job I'm a much better person that them, so I can sneer at them because they have different values to me.

Grow Up.

4. MrDamage Silver badge

To quote Cartman: "If dolphins are so smart, how come they keep getting caught up in all the driftnets?"

6. Popup

Actually - Dolphins are pretty thick. (Compared to humans. Maybe not compared to chavs...)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0306452213006234?np=y

1. Rukario
      Linux

Actually, dolphins are smarter than humans, their intelligence is exceeded only by little white mice.

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Because penguins eat fish too. ---->

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How the FUCK does DDoS help?

Get off your fat ass and help Sea Shepherd or Greenpeace or someone else who can target this event.

Write to your representative.

DO SOMETHING.

But a DDoS? Really? This is the same as a "Like" of Facebook. It does sweet fuck all.

8. Shugyosha
    Mushroom

Delicious

Disguising Dolphin as Tuna? Do they even taste anything alike, considering one's a mammal and one's a fish? I've eaten whale - bacon and sashimi - and it was closer to beef than it was to fish.

This topic is closed for new posts.