back to article TOQ of the TOWN: A second screen for the second screen. Third screen?

Qualcomm’s Toq smartwatch – something of a vanity project for the company’s display division – will go on sale on 2 December direct from the mobile processor giant’s website. On the day, Android smartphone owners will be able to order a Toq for a whopping $350 (£217). Qualcomm Toq Qualcomm began talking Toq back in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jerky Jerk face

If its waterproof - i wouldnt mind that as a motorbike accessory.

When ever i feel my phone go off i have to wonder if its worth stopping to check or not :)

2. Wam

Put the screen in a phone

Give me a small phone with

(a) Colour e-ink screen

(b) Massive battery life

(c) Wifi Hotspot and Bluetooth

(d) That's about it

Job done. Browse the web etc. with your tethered tablet (or to play Angry Birds / Candy Crush)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Put the screen in a phone

"Job done. Browse the web etc. with your tethered tablet (or to play Angry Birds / Candy Crush)"

Spoken like someone with no idea how e-ink displays work with frequently updating content. They're great for displaying static "pages" like text, but not for playing games/scrolling/etc..

1. Mike 16

I think you missed the point. He said he wanted the e-ink display in a small "mostly dumb" phone, with a WiFi hotspot for the "screen intensive" stuff could by outsourced to a tablet or the like. I agree _that_ would be desireable, so I may be mis-reading as well, but I doubt it. Phone for connection. Tablet for webgrazing and Angry-birds. Or, in my case laptop for "research" (webgrazing) and a pile of xterms running ssh.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Spoken like someone with no idea how e-ink displays work with frequently updating content

Replied like someone with no idea how frequently the content I typically want to look at, updates. Not all of us buy phones to play games or watch movies.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Replied like someone with no idea how frequently the content I typically want to look at, updates. Not all of us buy phones to play games or watch movies."

Butted into like someone who fondly imagines that anyone was talking to him.

3. HMB

Didn't Get the Memo

Nothing ruins a sleek, neat design like a logo. There's a reason you don't see an apple logo on the front of an iPhone or the Google brand on the front of a new Nexus.

4. btrower

Probably the near future

Mobile phones are in the 'pocket watch' phase and are headed inexorably to a 'ubiquitous' phase. It might skip the wrist, but I doubt it.

I would like a wrist device with a wide** touch-screen display or similar, moderate smarts and the ability to connect to a local server like a traditional phone or notebook. I expect that the teenagers that drove adoption of mobile phones in recent years will be all over this once it becomes a fashion item as well as a useful tool.

The current showstopper for a lot of this stuff may be battery life. Having Bluetooth activated all the time has a noticeable impact on battery life here.

**1440x900 or something like that. The current 4:3 screens just make me scratch my head.

5. Big_Ted
    FAIL

£217 quid so I don't have to put my hand in my pocket.....

Who do they think they are ? Apple ?

I would rather keep the money thankyou....

Now if it came with Heart Monitor, GPS etc I might be interested.

Oh yeh Garmin Forerunner..... right, forget it then.

6. Robert E A Harvey

anti-fashion

All these things look like a dick Tracy Crystal set radio from the small adsin american comics, along with the seebackrascope & x-Ray spex.

I might become interested when they

*don't make me look like a berk

*do something revolutionary and indespensible

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so i can look at my watch

and see that its sunny today? If i had my watch on I'd likely be "out", so would know.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: so i can look at my watch

What we really need would be some type of contraption that is simply worn around the head area, with a little display. You know, like a pair of glasses. Then I can look at that display to see that it is sunny where I am standing. Oh, wait.

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Coat

Re: so i can look at my watch

A weather FOREcast implies that it's predicting what the weather will be like in the future.

Quite handy if you want to know if you need to wear a coat etc.

That said, the larger display of a phone or computer allows one to see if it's going to rain all day, or just at the times when one will be walking outside, a bit more useful than a single icon on a watch.

8. Wam

Correct

Well yes, sorry for the confusion. I wouldn't need the tablet if the e-ink screen could do the job.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like