back to article New Retina iPad Mini not sold out HOURS after launch - world REELS

Analysts worldwide are increasingly dumfounded today as it appears that the new Retina iPad Mini from Apple has not, according to Apple's online stores, sold out within hours of becoming available. As this article is written the UK Apple Store website still shows all models of Retina Mini available for delivery within just …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. FartingHippo
    Pint

Ha!

That's Olympic gold medal winning snark :)

Have a pint.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ha!

Indeed, I had to check I wasn't reading the onion.

2. g e

Do you think, possibly...

That no-one gives a flying feck about Apple and their expensive tat any more as it's becoming increasingly retro compared to everything else

#PeakApple indeed

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Most people were led to believe it would be a 21 Nov release, when they find out.........

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Big Brother

No problems but...

The Sun rises in the East and sets in the West.

Is this news?

nope thought not...

3. Admiral Grace Hopper

You missed the step

Where all the Android fans take the mickey (posting their mickey-taking comments using the Nexus 5 that they got 2 working days after it was released as that was the quickest that Google could deliver it).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You missed the step

Comparing iToy sales to Android sales is like comparing the Greek economy to the US economy. They're different scales completely. Android is activating 1.5 million devices each DAY - every day.

The competition has been over for a long time, fanboys. Welcome to your tiny market niche.

1. hypercommunist
        Facepalm

iPad accounts for 85% of usage in North America. http://chitika.com/insights/2013/june-tablet-update

Apparently cheap Android tabs sell well and then buyers find they're crap.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@hypercomm - "iPad accounts for 85% of usage in North America. http://chitika.com/insights/2013/june-tablet-update"

=========================

Yeah - those numbers are a completely bogus method of analyzing market share. Here's how Chitika arrives at them: "Chitika Insights sampled tens of millions of U.S. and Canadian TABLET ONLINE AD IMPRESSIONS RUNNING THROUGH THE CHITIKA AD NETWORK".

The fact is, Chitika targets iPad users with their ads. They are just bragging that they are getting better at zeroing in on iPad users, rather than serving up ads to users of other tablets.

If you asked Google, those numbers might be completely upside down, as they target Android users.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Hey Andy; market share means shit! It's user base that counts;

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/07/android-market-share-smartphone-users-google-apple

How'd you like them apples?!

1. Persona non grata

The article you've linked to is about as statistically reliable as a glass sandwich is edible.

But then it's by Charles Arthur, the Guardians self appointed priest of the church of Jobs... fanboi is far too mild a term for him.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

about as statistically reliable as a glass sandwich is edible.

Sorry. I couldn't resist the urge to dig up this link.

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Yes, because Prough's "1.5 million activations" is statistically reliable? Are they all new? Are they fuckaslike. Are they at all meaningful? No. Not a bit of it. Are you and Prough mindless fandroid sheep? Fucking too right you are...

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: You missed the step @ Andy Prough

Predicktable as always.

2. DiViDeD

Yabbut merkins still use pounds and feet and something called gallons and buy Miley Cyrus videos, so hardly a reasonable cross section of the global marketplace, eh?

2. ThomH

Re: You missed the step (@Andy Prough)

I think he was just comparing Nexus 4 sales to Apple sales — one supplier versus one supplier rather than every Android supplier versus the one iOS supplier.

That said, who would really expect the Nexus 4 to outsell the iPad Mini? It's an unsubsidised phone available only via mail order. That's just not how most people buy their phones. I'll bet the Nexus amounts to a tiny segment of Android sales.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Comparing iToy sales to Android sales is like comparing the Greek economy to the US economy. They're different scales completely. Android is activating 1.5 million devices each DAY - every day.

The competition has been over for a long time, fanboys. Welcome to your tiny market niche."

There there. Do you feel better now? Righteous glow of personal achievement through your proxy God?

Now, take your pills, lie down and write for us, in gory detail, how you made this happen and why it reflects so well upon you, assuming it really did happen and not just in your fevered imagination.

Alternatively, get a life and something worthwhile to chortle or grieve over. Still, nothing much else is happening, just the odd thousand or so dead through a typhoon, business as usual in Syria and some poverty and health law problems in the USA.

Perhaps you're right: get back to getting worked up about gadget sales, much more fun than football or cricket scores.

1. Don Jefe

I have no real preference either way, but the Apple model is superior financially. Less work, more money...

4. SuccessCase

"Either way, by this point the product should be "sold out", so generating stronger desire for it and enabling Apple to sell more."

Only in fantasy TheRegister supply-chain land. No company ever deliberately restricts supply at launch as it will *always* result in a significant proportion of sales lost to competitors. The Register claim that that is why Apple have been short on supplies has always been pure "speculative" fantasy. The reason has always been that stocking up for a launch sales spike is an extremely difficult thing to do, because you need a large quantity of stock when production of a new device is at it's weakest (the wedge shaped supply and demand graphs seen in the initial launch weeks are travelling in different directions and cross over each other). As a market matures, initial sales spikes reduce and as the product range is diversified here is a greater spread additionally they are getting better at gearing up for product launches. iPad supply is moving into a phase that is closer to what we see when a new MacBook comes out.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Only in fantasy TheRegister supply-chain land. No company ever deliberately restricts supply at launch as it will *always* result in a significant proportion of sales lost to competitors."

Maybe not previously with Apple. Maybe previously the fanbois were so loyal they would wait for the Apple product to be back in stock.

Maybe thats now changed though.

Maybe Apple now even knows thats changed and maybe they really have physically ran out of stock but are continuing to take orders because they know so many people will happily go buy that cheap Android instead now.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Anon 15:45

Or maybe, you know, Apple managed to avoid any sort of supply issues and managed to build enough of them at launch to supply at least the first day's demand.

Gotta love the Apple haters line: If they run out of supply, it is because Apple is artificially restricting supply to create buzz, not due to high sales. If they don't run out of supply, it is because "fanbois are no longer loyal", they wouldn't even consider that maybe for once Apple built enough of them.

Either way, they're always in denial that Apple is selling very many, because if Apple has a shrinking percentage of the overall market, they must be going down the tubes. Nevermind that Apple keeps selling more iPads and iPhones every year than the last. There is a large portion of the market that will only buy on the low end, and Android OEMs are happy to supply there. Apple isn't interested in that market, because there is almost no profit to be made from those customers, before or after the sale.

1. Mullerrad
          Trollface

Re: @Anon 15:45

Or they are just not selling so many. I have the ipad 3. I have no intention of upgrading mine works just fine thanks and does all what I need it to do.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wow - Supply chain Management 101 in a single breathless paragraph.

It all sounds so rational....

And the glorious image of wedges zipping across one another across the horizon will stay in my mind for a few minutes more.

But for all its entertaining value, I must disagree with your comment sir.... and maybe you are the one living in "Fantasy Text book Rational Supply Chain Management Land".

Yes we all know Lead times are a b*tch to manage and shifting stock to outlets in view of a launch an even bigger headache.

But what you forget is that launches are more often in the hands of the almighty marketing teams than in those of the hard working sales channels managers.

And everybody knows the marketing guys are... well marketing guys.

If you've never seen orchestrated artificial penury at product launch of branded items you do need to get out a bit more... because - unless you are selling a generic product - penury creates buzz and raises product visibility.... It does not result in significant losses to competitors, it results in a steeper demand curve in the weeks following the launch.

What launch penury says is "This is the piece of bling to buy since everyone else wants it"....

3. DiViDeD

@SuccessCase - here, have a snark detector. No, take two. Your need seems greater than most

1. SuccessCase

@DiViDeD

No thanks, my Gimp detector warns me when I shouldn't accept gifts from strangers.

1. DiViDeD

"I shouldn't accept gifts from strangers"

Hey! I present that accusation because its hold me up to ridiclue</grauniad>

I'm not stranger, just <ahem> differenter

5. Eradicate all BB entrants

Has the NHS started .....

...... offering sense of humour bypasses?

Keep it up Team Reg, made me chuckle :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Has the NHS started .....

On the NHS? You are kidding right? must be private patients ;)

6. knarf

tut.... don't want one now!!!! THANKS REG!!!

I was just desperate to get one of these, but since I can get one I don't want it now!!!! You've completely ruined my whole Apple Experience now... might as well get a Windows RT Surface 1 now.

7. stu 4

worthy of The Onion

that is all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: worthy of The Onion

you beat me to it.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You mean that they didn't sell out before they were on sale? Over-priced and under-specified, surely not?

9. Busby

Could be wrong but weren't a lot of "analysts" predicting stock shortfall well into the new year due to yield issues with the display?

So what's going on lower than predicted demand or were the experts full of shit as usual?

10. Simon Harris

Comments one industry analyst...

'comments Tom Logan, an industry analyst from the Institute of Studies...'

There, fixed it for you.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe nobody can find them?

After apple culled that iStuff-finding app the other day?

"Apple kicks iStuff-sniffer out of App Store"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/11/apple_boots_app_designed_to_help_fanbois_buy_more_istuff/

12. Windows8

When I woke up this morning I didn't give a crap about Apple or it's latest toys...5 hours later I still don't give a crap!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pretty much like everybody else's opinion of Windows 8, but thanks for sharing. No, really, your insight is incredible.

13. dave 93
    Facepalm

It's Xmas soon. Just sayin'

14. Tromos
    Joke

And the person sleeping outside the shop for three nights...

...turned out to just be some homeless guy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like