back to article 'F-CK YOU GOOGLE+' ukelele missy scoops BIG WAD of $$ - for Google

A futile attempt to convince Google to reverse its decision to lock its ID-tracking, data-mining Google+ product into YouTube comments has helped to generate more ad revenue on the vid-sharing site. A sweary, well-spoken young woman from Essex has had more than half a million hits on a YouTube video she posted just two days …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

yea google F*ck you

for making us sign into your free service and for trying to integrate stuff so its single sign on................................................

1. Dave K

Re: yea google F*ck you

A single sign-on which *requires* you to provide your full name and various other personal details, just to leave a comment on a video. Gone are the days when an e-mail address and password were sufficient.

1. ratfox
        Unhappy

Indeed, it's becoming rarer and rarer that you can just leave a comment without registering. Number of websites use Facebook comments too.

I remember the astonishment, 15 years ago, at how wild people were behaving on the web, trolling newsgroups and the like. In general, anonymity was fingered as the reason. Are these days over? Will the times come when using your real name on the web will be the norm, and using a pseudonym considered the equivalent of wearing a mask in the street?

1. BillG
          Holmes

I read somewhere that registrations for DailyMotion went up after Google tied Google+ to YouTube.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Given the situation with five eyes, the NSA and CCTV everywhere, wearing a mask in the street could well be on the rise soon.

1. Grade%

Lol, masks will be illegal soon. Dazzle makeup is the gas, man. Considering all the lenses about in blighty I'm surprised there more aren't walking around looking like WWI/II battleships already.

2. Alan 6

based on the quality of comments attached to your average You Tube video, making it harder to leave comments can only be a good thing...

3. BillG
        FAIL

I have a YouTube channel that targets embedded engineers, most of whom are on LinkedIn and no other social network. I was getting about 20-40 comments a week. Since the YouTube integration with Google+, my comments have gone down to Zero. Zip. Nada.

More and more I'm learning that having your income depend solely on Google is dangerous.

4. Hokiecow

Yet you have not issue giving all your info to The Regester to post comments!? The Regester wants to know my full name, email, what my occupation is, how many people are at my job, and if I make spending decisions. That seems a bit more intrusive to me, just to post a comment!

Why should Google get flamed for providing a free service? If you don't like it, don't post a reply. Frankly it might curb many of the spam & troll comments on YouTube.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
          FAIL

@Hokiecow

"Yet you have not issue giving all your info to The Regester to post comments!? The Regester wants to know my full name, email, what my occupation is, how many people are at my job, and if I make spending decisions. That seems a bit more intrusive to me, just to post a comment!"

And of course you told them the truth, and don't use expendable accounts?

I think you win the "Matt Bryant" award.

That's not a good thing to win.

1. 42
            Go

Re: @Hokiecow

Yep definite Matt Bryant award winner that one.

1. Matt Devney
              WTF?

Re: @Hokiecow

Who is Matt Bryant? If it's the Atlanta Falcons Kicker, then I don't get the joke/reference.

EDIT: I've found him now... never mind.

5. heyneighbor

yea, f*ck you, I had to sign in to upvote this post!

6. bfeist

Yes, but now that they're under your real name, maybe everyone will think twice before leaving imbecile YouTube comments. Less Internet pocket lint.

1. M Gale

Yes, but now that they're under your real name, maybe everyone will think twice before leaving imbecile YouTube comments. Less Internet pocket lint.

I really hope you're being sarcastic. That or you haven't been looking at any of the comments since the Google+ bullshit started. Really, the crap that the apologists are coming out with is totally disjointed from reality. Apparently forcing Google+ onto people to comment on a youtube video will somehow, magically remove the trolls and kooks?

Just had a quick look and I'm getting "comment fatlos", "reply1", "reply2", "no wone [sic] cares", "first post"... all from comments in the last day or two, on random videos. There are worse, and they are very, very easy to find, especially the ones that declare "FROM GOOGLE+". Oh, and Google+ names such as "Nigger_Gangrape", amongst other less pleasant monikers. Oh and hashtags. Fucking hashtags everywhere, now. If this is your idea of change for the better, you can keep it.

Incidentally, it only takes about a gigabyte or so to make a 24 hour long, 360kbps, 640x360@30fps video displaying the text "FUCK GOOGLE PLUS", along with a 64kbit audio stream of whatever the hell you want (let's say a trololololol loop). Easy enough to upload to your Youtube channel before buggering the fuck off to any other video site on the Web, alongside changing your channel name to "Fuck Google Plus". Think I'll be doing just that.

2. mickey mouse the fith

"Yes, but now that they're under your real name, maybe everyone will think twice before leaving imbecile YouTube comments. Less Internet pocket lint."

Eh?, how does this change anything?, I have a g+ account, its full of bullshit false info. How am I more identifiable than i was before?

Trolls can just put false info into the g+ account and continue as normal, this doesnt solve anything.

Tbh, i think the comments are the most entertaining part of youtube.

3. magrathea

And it also makes it easier for real predators to target people irl. So, two birds with one stone, eh?

7. JDX Gold badge

A single sign-on which *requires* you to provide your full name

Back in the good old days, telling someone your name was considered rather normal.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@JDX

"Back in the good old days, telling someone your name was considered rather normal."

And if you did so while happening to be a girl then the shit would really hit the fan. You were saying?

2. M Gale

Re: A single sign-on which *requires* you to provide your full name

Back in the good old days, telling someone your name was considered rather normal.

On the Internet? Really?

What strange parallel universe do you come from?

3. expat jan

Re: A single sign-on which *requires* you to provide your full name

Back in the Good Old Days, there were not sneaks trying to make you a crim for having a different opinion or attitude to life. Me and my mates have no wish to be bankrupted or banged up because some spiteful, jealous, greedy numpty (ex-so-called-friend) wants revenge or money.

8. rotmos

Why not create a nonsense Google+ account, which is empty, if you don't want to expose your "full name and various other personal details"?

Donald Duck

9. Maxson

It's almost like you can't put your g+ full name as whatever you like. I'm fairly certain they don't request a copy of your birth certificate to sign up so uh...just don't put your real name?

1. bean520

"I'm fairly certain they don't request a copy of your birth certificate"

They've tried this when G+ was first concieved, if they didnt believe the name you gave was you real one. It failed hard, as well it should

2. Not That Andrew
      FAIL

Youtube was already single sign on you numpty. You've been able to sign into Youtube with your gmail account for years.

1. MonkeyCee

Logic fail by Not that Andrew.

You have been able to use your gmail account to sign into youtube.

Now you are required to.

These are different things.

If you are having trouble with this, imagine you have been able to use your credit card to buy food at the supermarket. Now you are required to, no credit card, no service. Not to help consumers, but because it makes gathering marketable data on you easier.

Of course, expecting Google to do anything other than get more marketing info to sell is a bit like being shocked that BP want oil out of the ground and not left in it. There is no such thing as a free lunch. A free product means the consumer is the product.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

How is this different from supermarkets who for years have required you to present a "club card" or be charged a higher price for your purchases? A card that required your real name, address and telephone number to obtain one? How is Google different here? Oh, yeah, you don't have to post a comment, or watch stupid YouTube videos to live.

You idiots act like the Internet was your god-given right or something. YouTube belongs to Google. It is an expensive service to provide. There will be advertising to recoup said costs and maybe make a profit. It is Google's privilege to require a sign-in if they wish on their property.

I refuse to have a FaceBook account and I don't post to sites that require me to have a FaceBook account to sign in. If you don't like using a Google account, refrain from using any service which requires you to have one.

1. Mattjimf

"How is this different from supermarkets who for years have required you to present a "club card" or be charged a higher price for your purchases?"

Which supermarkets are these? As I have a Nectar card and a Tesco Club card and neither give me reduced prices when presented at the till. In fact with all the "offers" they print/send out they are usually trying to get you to spend more with them for the promise of points that typically amount to £2.50.

If you don't want these companies to have that information about you, don't sign up to these things. If you have to sign up use fake details.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. d4rkside

Where do you live?

they are not required where I live and they do not charge more if you do not present them.

3. DanBennett

"For forcing us to use the social network no one wants to use" you mean?

1. JDX Gold badge

"For forcing us to use the social network no one wants to use" you mean?

It's quite possible this kind of tactic will get people using Google+, it's an entirely legitimate way to build critical mass on the platform. FaceBook remains king of social by inertia and crowd effects only.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wanted to like El Reg's article

But couldn't find the G+ button...

3. Tom 7

Guitar

'sa Uke init?

1. James Hughes 1

Re: Guitar

Quite. Note to ElReg hacks - Guitar big, 6 or 12 strings, Ukulele small, 4 strings. This is NOT a reference to Father Ted. They really ARE different sizes.

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Or maybe Emma is quite large? :)

2. Gordon 11

Guitar big, 6 or 12 strings,

Or even bigger (well, longer neck) bass, which has 4, or 5.

Or 9 string guitars (top-3 doubled).

Or the double-necked one Jimmy Page had (Gibson EDS-1275 Double Neck) that was 6+12, so 18.

2. Sir Sham Cad

It might technically be a very small acoustic bass guitar with very strange tuning?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A ukelele is a traditional Hawaiian version of the guitar. They seemingly couldn't work out how to make the big ones.

4. Mystic Megabyte
    Happy

Nice

She'll go far, G+ won't.

1. EddieD

Re: Nice

Well said - reminded me of Mitch Benn and the good Dr Lehrer - both of whom use somewhat fractured phrasing to make the lyrics fit the tune (this is aimed at folk down the way who criticise her scansion).

Emma, you made me chuckle (and I've copied the vid, just wish I had the talent to play it)

5. Big_Ted
    Facepalm

Hey you don't like it.....

You have 2 chaoices, don' use it or supply false info, after all they can hardly check your real name etc. or cor heres a radical idea, sign up a new gmail/google+ account and use that. I bet you use different signins for various sites and may even (gasp) have more than one sign in on some of them for trolling purposes.....

Me I have no problem with this or anything else Google are doing with my login, but then I'm not paranoid enough to think they are that interested in me as an individual.

1. Tom7

Re: Hey you don't like it.....

It might be arguing semantics, but I'd say Google is very interested in you as an individual. So are their advertisers. That's basically the whole purpose of the Google online estate - to build as detailed a profile as possible of you as an individual.

Of course they do the same thing to everyone else, as individuals, and probably what you meant is that they don't treat you any different to the other 4.5 billion humans who access their services (or whatever the number is).

1. Big_Ted

Yeh, they treat me as one of billions who are just another target, they don't have someone sat at a desk watching my every move unlike some companies people work for.

Adblock in Chrome takes care of most of that anyway.

1. midcapwarrior

For now.

Soon they will monetize adblock. If not they will deprecate/block the feature on their affiliate network

2. Someone Else Silver badge
          Go

@ Big Ted -- Re: Hey you don't like it.....

Adblock in Chrome takes care of most of that anyway.

AdBlock in Firefox takes care of the rest...

2. I Am Spartacus
      Alert

And here lies the whole reason you don't get it.

It is not about what you say. You're right about that. It who you are. What else you do, where else you have been. What you searched for.

You look at the new Dyson Warm Cold blower. Go to you tube, watch a short video you like and you get a popup add for fan heaters. Start to see it now?

Its all about targeting ads at you and being able to tell the advertisers, "We sent x ads for fan heaters to Big Ted, and here is email, phone number, address".

So you see, they do care about you the individual.

1. McWibble

> Its all about targeting ads at you and being able to tell the advertisers, "We sent x ads for fan heaters to Big Ted, and here is email, phone number, address".

I very much doubt they're passing your phone number and address (or any details) on to Dyson just because you showed an interest in one of their products. What they will do is change the ads that appear at the side of the screen (unless you're blocking them, and not pop-ups) to show Dyson Warm Cold Blowers. Given that you're going to see adverts anyway (the YouTube service does incur costs which will need to be paid), the only difference is that they'll be relevant. If you don't want to buy the Dyson product after all, or are going to buy it via your own methods, it's just another ad to ignore.

I'm aware that a lot of people have something against targeted ads, and some seem to think all services should be ad-free and paid for by magical fairies - that's not my point here. Drumming up paranoia in an effort to convince people to agree with your opinion though isn't really a valid tactic.

1. petur
          FAIL

The sad thing is you keep seeing the damn ads months after buying one...

Same goes for a friend/relative visiting you, asking advice about something, you google it and hey, more useless ads for months :(

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Missing the point entirely...

....it's that the new comment system is shit, unwieldy, confusing, unworkable. It's a fucking mess. A fuckup of gigantic proportions. For so many reasons I lack both the time and inclination to reiterate here. If you're happy with it, good on you. I assure you, you are in a vanishingly insignificant minority.

6. mIRCat
    Coat

Wait, wot?

What do you mean I have to sign into Google+ to sign the petition?

I know I've got a pen here somewhere.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

isn't this the kind of thing Google are getting into trouble for in Europe, their G+ product was a failure, so to turn it around they're plugging it into a successful service and forcing everyone to join it...

8. Miek

It's simple. Google+ has little uptake, has not really been all that interesting to most people and in order to boost uptake they are taking a swipe at the youtube community, hoping that forcing youtube users to sign in to comment and such will actually be accepted. I never really commented before, now so less likely.

"Would you like to use your real name for all your Google services?" -- No, now Foxtrot Oscar.

1. Someone Else Silver badge
      Coat

Hmmm...

Oscar Foxtrot might make a good Google+ username....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't get it

while you people seem to be so upset? I mean, it's a simple transaction, you want something (vent your e-pinions), they want something in return (feed you ads). Both are superfluous to life. If I value my privacy more than an orgasmic release on hitting a "submit" button, then I don't bother and stay away.

but you folks, seem to be unable to choose, you want it both, and can't let go of either. You don't grab a packet of sweets from Tesco, when your pockets are empty, do you? You give them something they want, right? Or is it that you really believe the blinking "FREE!!!" button?

1. Mr Fuzzy

Re: I don't get it

Did you really just equate avoiding intrusive advertising to actual theft?!

Wow.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It is theft, the resources are funded through advertising therefore denying the provider revenue by blocking ads means you're stealing content from their networks.

Do I do it? Sure.

1. heyrick Silver badge

"It is theft, the resources are funded through advertising therefore denying the provider revenue by blocking ads means you're stealing content from their networks."

Theft goes both ways. The other day I looked up the words to an animé song on my mobile. They appeared, I was happy. Then a "download complete" notification popped up. Bastard site linked to an advertiser which had a pop-under to feed a 350Kb APK file to me. Tried it again at home, and kept getting the same damn APK. Thankfully I can absorb 350K in my monthly allocation, however multiple attempts to push that crap isn't on (ever heard of cookies you c*nts?) and if I was on a PAYG setup, that would cost me a pile of coins.

Some advertisers are unscrupulous and think nothing of taking your bandwidth, processing power, and data allocation. The correct way to respond is to block as much as you can. It's a two way street, you know...

2. Miek
          Trollface

"It is theft, the resources are funded through advertising therefore denying the provider revenue by blocking ads means you're stealing content from their networks." -- It's not stealing, it's advert avoidance. All perfectly above board. Is sticking my fingers in my ears and shouting "La-La-La" during the adverts stealing ?

3. magrathea

"It is theft, the resources are funded through advertising therefore denying the provider revenue by blocking ads means you're stealing content from their networks."

Avoiding a monotonous, uninspired drone is theft? Hilarious

10. Richard 1

Who cares about the politics?

...the song plain sucks. I thought only ten-year old kids made up lyrics that didn't fit the song.

Writing songs she should qu-ii-i-i-iiit

Because is just plain sh-ii-ii-ii-i...

1. Sureo

Re: Who cares about the politics?

Yes but "Fuck You Google" says it all.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who cares about the politics?

I think Cleo 'do dob doo dob ooo dob do dob do' Laine invented that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSLxdLIoHj4

11. Solly
    Devil

I think you should all look at this...

http://www.b3ta.com/links/1093923/

12. DanBennett
    Happy

Emma Blackery

Emma Blackery on The Register.

This is a weird day.

13. John Lilburne

Er no Google ain't made any more money

If it weren't for that vid people would have clicked on some other vid. There is no net gain here.

You don't affect change by simply bitching on the site. Just turn YT off and go spend your time elsewhere.

14. frontierteg

You can still be anonymous

Do none of you know how to create 2 email accounts?

I have one for spam and one I share with others.

The spam one is how I post anonymous comments.

Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, your ISP, and countless others give you the ability to have free email accounts everywhere.

Oh no!!! That would mean remembering 2 passwords to remain anonymous on the net.

Shudder!

Anyone with a problem with Google trying to give you better service, single sign on, news you want to see, youtube videos you might be interested in, and trying to make some money while they offer free access to an index of all of mans knowledge, products and news, has a screw loose somewhere.

I guess you just can't please anyone when you give away free stuff.

It's like people who get welfare complaining about income inequality.

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: You can still be anonymous

Last time I tried to register a new Gmail account for exactly that purpose, a month or two ago, it demanded a mobile number. So I didn't bother - and the comment went unposted.

Anonymity? Yeah right.

1. VinceH
        Big Brother

Talking about demanding a mobile number, I had an email from Google+ yesterday telling me that my (largely unused) Google+ account was now eligible for "a unique Google+ custom URL" along the lines of google.com/+Name

I had a look. I read the terms and conditions - and saw no mention of phone numbers. So I decided to grab my name, and told me I must first verify my phone number.

(Repeating the exercise now to get the exact wording, it's "You must verify your mobile phone number by entering a code sent in a text message (SMS), before you can claim a custom URL.")

At which stage I changed my mind.

According to Google, this is "to protect our users from abuse, we sometimes ask users to prove they’re not a robot before they're able to create or sign in to accounts. Having this additional confirmation via phone is an effective way to keep spammers from abusing our systems."

I know spammers can be stupid, but I'm sure even they understand the concept of cheap throw-away SIMs, which makes that explanation more than a little weak, IMO.

2. Vociferous

> it demanded a mobile number

Yep. There's no bypassing it either, and the algorithm seems to be learning to be extra skeptical about my IP number, I'm going through Google accounts like it was M&M's.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Last time I tried to register a new Gmail account for exactly that purpose, a month or two ago, it demanded a mobile number

It will always give you the "option" of giving them a phone number, but it seems to insist on it or not depending on some sort of trust algorithm.

For the time being, please feel free to use the following account if you wish, I just registered it and did not complain about the absence of phone details (for now):

Email: bertieles@gmail.com

Name: Bertrand Lestrade (hope you like it)

DoB: 1st February 1982

Password: "One account is all you need" (without quotes, watch spaces and initial cap).

Phone: None given

Other email: None given

Now for the philosophical rant: There is a slight difference between being ambitious to the point of greediness, which is fine in my book, and disregarding basic societal norms of behaviour such as minimally respecting people's privacy (this is not fine in my book). Sure as fuck I would not give my name, date of birth, phone number, etc., to the bloke I buy the newspaper from, or to anyone else I do business with, unless it's a) substantial business, and b) a very valid reason is present.

Enjoy!

4. PDC

But Gaz, you can type in any old phone number. I've at least 7 Google accounts, probably more. As many as I had on ACC :o)

5. stanimir

You can bypass giving the phone (I've never given them any nor will). Also disabling javascript does wonders, google sites are somewhat function w/o even.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yup, all you need is a spare SIM card too in order to get a Gmail account.

Or is this another of these pieces of advice written by people who last used tried this in 2003.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"It's like people who get welfare complaining about income inequality."

I'm sure this is some reference to a nicely worked out talking point, but surely if you're on welfare (ie have very little income and wealth) then it would make sense to complain about the unfair distribution of wealth according to birthright and not merit. Sure, the people who work damn hard to be just above welfare have more right to complain, as they are the underpaid where merit gets you keeping the job, not rewarded. The trick to being wealthy is entitlement, often to tax payer funded handouts that dwarf any welfare entitlements. National Socialism, what's good for industry is what's good for the nation. Privatised profits and socialised losses.

Perhaps a better example would be it's like people earning over 100k complaining about paying high taxes. They only are able to earn over 100k because of the tax monies already spent on education (theirs and their workforce), infrastructure and social care systems (police, fire, hospitals) and indeed even for those on welfare.

Not sure about the US, but in the rest of the OECD the beneficiaries (welfare recipients) are overwhelmingly the elderly. Who are often rightly concerned that while some assets (land, property and precious metals) maintain or even gain value, cash assets (bank deposits, annuities and shares) often end up failing to keep pace with rising costs. They also may point out that they paid into this system for there whole working lives, and they turn out to vote in large numbers, but if you can get a nice us-and-them, strivers and skivers split going on, you can actually convince poor people to vote for policies that favor the rich, by bashing the poor.

15. Andrew Jones 2

Of course on the other side of the coin - those of us who actually a) use Google+ and b) don't try to use Google+ like Facebook (because it is not, never will be and never was intended to be anything like Facebook) actually like the integration - because we now see YouTube videos pop up in our stream, with a comment from the poster - and encourages a much more active discussion - for example a video from someone else who hates Google+ has gone viral on Google+ and because of this - it has gotten a lot more exposure than it would of normally. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuIRY5KFEU0

Please remember: Facebook == Social Network, Social Network != Facebook

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ghost town G+ needs more fake numbers, Active users are dead ones.

Yea, and that's why google does it all.

Google+ is a fucking joke. A ghost town what claims to have hundreds of millions "active" users, except in reality there's barely ANY active users from all those hundreds of millions, maybe 1% maybe only 0.1%. Easily clear if you look some while "near by" and "what's hot" areas and garbage that pops up in those and then number of comments etc.

People at Google know G+ is a fucking joke, so now they try to inflate number of comments turning every youtube comment to a damn post in G+.

2. Mike Flex

"those of us who actually a) use Google+ ... actually like the integration"

Speak for yourself. I have a Google+ account but don't need to be automatically signed in to Youtube.

Google also seem to have altered Chrome (e.g. on Windows and ios) recently to make it harder to sign out of your Google account.

3. Gulraj Rijhwani
      Thumb Down

Encouraging discussion...

When I post a comment on a YouTube video I don't WANT it appearing on Google+ to stimulate discussion. The discussion should be limited to the intended forum - i.e. the video on YouTube. If you want to see what is new on YouTube, that is what direct subscription is for. If you want a feed aggregator there are plenty around. It doesn't need all the baggage that having a G+ account brings with it.

There is one reason, and one reason alone why Google have done this. To FORCE users to interact through G+, to add them to their relationship and identity database and stimulate data generation for same.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A Youtube supported young sweary woman from essex?

Seems that if youtube likes you and you get enough views then you get youtube media perks like this.

I guess that won't be happening again...

there is a delicious irony in here somewhere...

1. DanBennett

Re: A Youtube supported young sweary woman from essex?

She's not supported by YouTube. She's supported by her partnering company.

She's not really affiliated with YouTube and thus she's allowed to have an opinion on their flustercuckery.

17. ForthIsNotDead

Fuck the internet

I'm done with it.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Fuck the internet

Yup. When I tried to watch the video on YouTube for the fu***ing umpteenth time in a row it asked me if I wanted to sign in as my YouTube username or my gmail username. And for the umpteen f***ing time I clicked NO. KEEP THE F***ING THINGS SEPARATE. Because that's what I want to do, so get the F***ING message will you. Jeesh!

I've given up on Facebook, Twitter, Blogger, Flickr etc etc. Email is creeping slowly and inexorably towards Outlook only rather than standard POP or IMAP that just about everything supports.

Someone take me back to the 80s, please!

1. Vociferous

Re: Fuck the internet

Oh you're in for a treat: after asking you a dozen times or so, it just links the accounts, because fuck you.

When that happens, whatever you do don't do what I did, and click "make my channel private". I thought that would, you know, make my channel private. No. It is functionally identical to "delete my account": all your lists, all your comments, all your up/downvotes, are permanently and irreversibly deleted.

18. Arachnoid

G+

Hmmmmm I wonder if its G string that she needs to become a tad more tuneful

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Simples, do not comment on youtube clips.

Its full of trolls and idiots anyway.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New comments system is UTTER CACK, DESIGNED AND IMPLEMENTED BY UTTER MORONS.

Another stage in the decline of the internet, and the rise of the cackhanded corporations.

21. Vociferous

Fuck you google.

I hated Youtube before it was cool.

I have a Google account I use at work, for the drive and calendar, and Youtube kept pestering me to link it with my youtube account. When I declined it asked why I didn't want to link them. This happened every 2-3 videos I viewed. Eventually, after asking me a dozen or so times, it just linked them anyway.

I then made a huge mistake: I clicked "Make My Channel Private", in the mistaken belief that this would make my viewing history and favorite video lists private. No. "Make My Channel Private" is functionally identical to "Delete My Account". All my lists, all my comments, everything: irreversibly gone. A big, hearty, FU from Google, all because I didn't want my Youtube viewing history of kitten videos and death metal linked to my work calendar.

That's when I realized that Google's approach to customer service and privacy is "it rubs the lotion on its skin, or it gets the hose again".

Yeah, Fuck You Right Back, Google.

22. Ermlehbagel

OMFG Phandom Wank Socks that must sound so weird to people who don't know what that means XD

YouTube is more than just stupid 30 second videos of cats now, it's a wide community of film makers, musicians and vloggers who ear money and make a living off of it, so any changes made to the site directly affect peoples lives.

I suggest you watch the online series 'Becoming YouTube' in order to learn what YouTube really is, (Emma is featured) then you will have a better understanding of why this is a big deal to a lot of people

Phandom Wank Socks you are my hero <3

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

sad

What I find surprising is that anyone could be bothered to write a song about it.

And I think I spotted her problem in the first few lines of the song "We just want our website back". It's not your website, its Google's. They can do with it what they will and equally you are at liberty to not use it. Get on with your life.

24. AlexS

pUKE.

25. Anomalous Cowshed

blimey

Until now I thought a ukulele was some kind of wind instrument - looking a bit like a cross between a potato and a flute. Now I know it's a string instrument. Thanks Register for unexpected side-benefits!

1. Soap Distant

Re: blimey

You were mistaking a ukelele for an ocarina I expect, not necessarily of the re-invented variety. Easy mistake though.

SD

26. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Overplaying your hand?

I think internet companies and organisations like Youtube and Twitter are massively overplaying their hands, and I wouldn't be surprised one bit if that is going to haunt them.

The problem should be obvious: they want or need to generate more revenue, but being a service provider there's only so much one can do to make that happen. The main problem is that you'll reach a point where your 'free' service is going to apply changes which will make it harder or less appealing for the people to use it. Think about the commercials on Youtube or the annoying banners on Twitter.

You may get away with small changes, but if the intrusion becomes to great then you're going to lose interest, especially if you're operating on a market which is shared by others. And once that process sets into motion then it can go downhill really quick.

I think the same will apply here. At one time I let it slide when Google wanted to merge my Youtube account into a Google account, but that was as far as I went. I never provided my real name. Now I'm confronted with this Google+ thingie and it's just too much for me. I thought Microsoft's Soc.ial site (or whatever it was called) was bad, but this looks even worse.

SO I basically removed my google+ profile (after 1 day of non-usage) and now only use Youtube to look at some videos without the option to comment on them. Hardly something I'll be missing out on.

Something tells me I'm not the only one who did.

So how is Google going to make more revenue when people start paying less attention to their service?

Same will apply to Twitter I think. They need to up their revenue so what other options are there but advertising? But if you become too intrusive with that then people will most likely start using other stuff, and once your usage amounts drop so will your revenue.

I think this could make for some very interesting times.

27. Piro Silver badge

To be honest, it is saving me time

For whatever reason I can no longer post any comments, which I rarely did anyway, so that's fine.

But what's more weird is when I try to, it asks me to sign in, then says my account is blocked. Yet as long as I just use the site as normal, I am not blocked. I can see my subs, my favourites, upload videos, the works.

But I can no longer comment at all. Oh well.

Basically, they broke the shit out of it. Then again, it seems to be Google's way these days - look at Google Maps on android, version 7 is a fucking disaster, thank christ someone had the newest version 6 APK. Does my head in when they change things and remove features for no end-user gain whatsoever.

28. Vociferous

#fuckgoogle

#fuckgoogle #fuckgoogle #fuckgoogle

29. Chris G

Has anyone noticed

The writing style of quite a few of the supportive Google commentators is similar to the point of being suspicious?

@ ShelLuser interesting what you have to say and I agree with you, I think many of the companies that provide so much of our internet content have become so overrun with corporate management, they have lost all semblance of the innovation and the innate sense of freedom that the web used to generate in people, and are now just looking to maintain ever increasing growth to keep their shareholders happy.

Sooner or later the bubble will burst for the current set of internet giants and they will be overtaken by new young upstarts with fresher approaches.

If the right new companies came along tomorrow and were able to provide the right kind of service, people would desert all of the old internet dinosaurs almost overnight.

As for phone numbers and names they have several of my old no longer existing numbers and names I thought up on the spur of the moment .

Keep up the good work Emma, just because something is free does not mean it has to be considered good and if it is not good there is no reason why something should not be said and listened to.

1. Miek
      Linux

Re: Has anyone noticed

"The writing style of quite a few of the supportive Google commentators is similar to the point of being suspicious?" --- I'm usually a supporter of Google, but, this time they can go Fuck+ themselves.

30. Gulraj Rijhwani
    FAIL

"We note that dictionaries including Merriam-Webster and the OED define the uke as being a type of guitar. -Ed"

And you felt the need to get pissy about it? Ordinarily I'm with ElReg, but this was unnecessarily ascerbic.

31. Nicole D.
    FAIL

How long do you think it will be before you need to be on Google Plus in order to continue using Gmail?

This one's been coming for a while now.

Fuck you Google. Seriously. Fuck. You.

1. M Gale

and on that day

...I tell my domain name to redirect to Live Mail, or whatever the Borg are calling it this week.

Under a tenner for two years? More people should be doing this!

32. Dramoth
    FAIL

Fuck you Google...

If I had wanted to leave comments on YouTube under my real name, I would have created an account that showed my real name. And now... you are getting me to sign into YouTube using my Google+ account which exposes my real name to the world if I want to leave comments. You also have created a whole new account for me with none of my playlists or any of my subscriptions.

Talk about fucking up completely.

33. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

MySpace rises -> MySpace falls ->Facebook rises. YouTube rises ->

Basically what does YT have?

1) Name recognition.

2) Lots of content

3) Adequate UI

Pretty much in that order.

Google bought it because it has 1)Lots of users to data mine 2)No sorry, can't think of a 2.

The question is will Google do a Microsoft and strangle at birth any attempted entrants to the market?

34. Mystic Megabyte
    Big Brother

Gmail

Last year I had a feeling that Google were going to splash my real name all over the internet so I edited my details to just show my initials.

I also delete all my browser cookies, cache etc. after signing out from Gmail.

35. I Like Heckling Silver badge

Think of it from the other side

Instead of looking at this from the youtube side of things, take a moment to look at it from the G+ users perspective.

Most of us don't want comments from our shares of YT videos posted to that site, conversations on shares often digress and having them posted on YT isn't wanted. So a lot of G+ users are pissed off about that, because not only are your public shares now posted on YT... it's retroactive, so all of your past shares are on there now.

But the worst part is that those trolls, spammers and so forth that remain posting now show up as comments in your G+ posts... A lot of use don't like that either and wish there was an option to turn it off.

I actually went back through my past shares and deleted all YT videos I had shared, which is a lot.

There is a simple way around it though, don't share public, just share to your extended circles.

But there is a good side to this change that I completely understand, forcing users to use real names (like they can't just make up a fake name ffs) is an attempt to limit the trolls and spammers... If it helps get rid of the 12yr old bigots and other idiots then I count that as a good thing.

As for the lady in the vid, she isn't looking at the wider picture... G+ is a perfect platform for people like her, it's full or artists and musicians and is the perfect place for her to expand her limited view of social media. I have personally seen talented people go from doing crappy jobs to becoming artists full time because of the people and support they found on G+.

I know... a post telling you about the virtues of G+ will go over like a lead balloon on a forum that allows anonymous comments, so I fully expect the downvote fairies to do their worst. But FB and G+ are different types of social platforms. FB is for connecting with people you already know and slowly expanding that, but you have to friend people in return. G+ is for connecting to new people who have similar interests and you can circle who you like without the need for them to circle you back... There's no 'Like this page before you can view it' mentality... sure the data mining still goes on, but without intrusive ads, which is a much better way of doing it that FB in my book.

There's a reason I left FB and moved to G+... and it's not because it's a ghost town, I have friends who have hundreds of thousands of followers and the latest statistics show in excess of 300 million unique users using it daily.

1. blackbelt_jones

Re: Think of it from the other side

I'm not unsympathetic if you want to talk about the virtures of google +, but when you talk about how someone you never met needs to use it, and "expand her limited view of social media", THAT goes over like a lead balloon.

Look, I'm glad you like Google Plus. If someone tried to force you to NOT use Google Plus, I would be against that.

Do you think that Google is forcing people to use G+ to pump up their numbers? I mostly search for "Fuck Google plus" and +1 everything that comes up. Guess what? I'm one of your 300 million users.

36. David 164

woooo, 80,000 petition.

The video that earning Google money got more views than that, and Youtube get hundreds of millions of visitors each month. The petition demonstrates how much people really care about Google+ integration and it says they don't care that much about it.

The girl in the video is cute though, which is probably why most people viewed the video.

1. M Gale

For everyone who can be bothererd to sign a petition, there are probably 20 people who feel the same way but couldn't be bothered to sign.

Though, I'm sure Google can ignore 1.6 million people as easily as they ignore 80,000. Maybe direct action is a better approach?

In other words: Troll the shit out of everything. Make them regret their decision. If they undo it, the few people that actually like G+ can get back to liking it and leave the rest of us alone. If not, well, I'm sure drowning in a sea of filth will be awesome.

Best part is, you really can do this from your armchair.

1. blackbelt_jones

I didn't sign the petition because I like the comments. But I'm probably going to end up leaving over the forced account.

37. turkey

a ukelele what?

"...Ps it's a ukulele dick"

I want one of those! I could play with it all day! Oh, wait...

38. Windows8

GOOGLE F***S EVERYYONE AND EVERYTHING! How and why did it take everyone this long to realize Google makes the NSA look like a book club. Wake-up peeps the new tech world is more intrusive than ever...why did we think we had it bad with MS? They look like angels compared to Google!

39. IGnatius T Foobar
    Thumb Up

I welcome this.

YouTube is hugely successful. I think it's a great idea to migrate the whole thing into Google+ so that more people start using Google+

What's good for Google+ is bad for Facebook. And what's bad for Facebook is good for everyone.

1. blackbelt_jones

Re: I welcome this.

I'm already not using Facebook, but I may join just to fuck with google.

40. Nym

Sorry but a bit offline on the comment...

Now go back to 1960 and view this video then, so to speak.

"Cultural adaptation" indeed.

41. Baron Ebaneezer Wanktrollop III

Google+ rocks

Not meaning to piss on anyones chips but I have a Google+ account and I have just one friend on it and that friend is Jeri Ryan (AKA 7 of 9)

So purely for that solitary factoid - Google+ is an electronic spunktrumpet of a social website - more power to its elbow.

1. blackbelt_jones

Re: Google+ rocks

That was very interesting, and not at all creepy.

42. blackbelt_jones

Who's the bigger whiner?

>>How is this different from supermarkets who for years have required you to present a "club card" or be charged a higher price for your purchases?

I think it's pretty significantly different. I don't really have to explain that, do I?

>>YouTube belongs to Google. It is an expensive service to provide. There will be advertising to recoup said costs and maybe make a profit. It is Google's privilege to require a sign-in if they wish on their property.

For four years, I've been providing them content for free. My biggest channel has gotten between a third and a half million views. I always left the box checked that let them put ads on my videos. I'm all for them getting paid, and I've been pulling my weight, I'm presuming that the previous arrangement was profitable.

The thing is, they're acting like this is about trolling, and it's not. They're lying to us. If they wanted to stop trolling, They could have let us block trolls. That would have been simple, and effective. Don't we have the technology? Instead, they cooked up a warped, convoluted, ineffective scheme to force google plus. It's going to continue. Watch as a google plus login becomes the answer to every problem for every google service, no matter how logic is tortured in the process.

>>You idiots act like the Internet was your god-given right or something.

No, I act like complaining is my god-given right. Why is that a problem for you?

>> I refuse to have a FaceBook account and I don't post to sites that require me to have a FaceBook account to sign in. If you don't like using a Google account, refrain from using any service which requires you to have one.

And if your most essential site suddenly required a facebook login, you wouldn't spend a little time raging? I don't have a facebook account either, by the way.

It's not just you tube. This is going to turn my whole internet life upside down. They've changed the terms of a mutually profitable arrangement unilaterally, while misrepresenting the reasons.

Google has done the word a lot of good, and they deserve to make a lot of money. I think it's great that they made money from Emma's video. But, yes, I am rethinking all my google accounts, and that is painful. I'm going to have to archive seven years of email.

43. blackbelt_jones

This is only the beginning of the ways that GOOGLE keeps shoving its PhalLUS in my face. Recently discovered that I couldn't upload without a + account.

That was when I really lost it. Has anyone else had that problem?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like