back to article Rogue US-Israeli cyberwar weapon 'infected Russian nuclear plant'

Stuxnet - the famous worm widely credited with crippling the Iranian nuclear weapons programme for several years - also infected the internal network of a Russian nuclear plant. Unspecified malware has even reached the International Space Station, according to the boss of Russian anti-virus firm Kaspersky Lab. Eugene Kaspersky …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

news?

Slow news day? Someone involved selling anti virus software heard from someone down the pub that someone got a virus.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Mr ChriZ

"Slow news day? Someone involved selling anti virus software heard from someone down the pub that someone got a virus".

But Mr ChriZ, haven't you heard? That's not idle gossip-mongering; that's ***intelligence gathering***.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: news?

'The charismatic securityware businessman'?

Really?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: news?

Security Software companies can never be seen to have defeated their enemy, they need headlines like this and the fear associated with it to perpetuate their very existence.

Wouldn't surprise me if there happens to be a low malware virus news day they throw a few of their own concoctions out into the wild.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Cyberterrorism"

This is clearly a systematic attack of "cyberterrorism" as people who know little about security, computing, networks or the novels of William Gibson tend to call it.

As such, I believe the established US government doctrine is that nations that are harmed by these attacks have the right to bomb and/or invade the nation(s) responsible for them. Have I got that right?

1. Al_21
      Paris Hilton

Re: "Cyberterrorism"

I thought its a fight against terror if the US Govt is involved?

... Fight against terror doesn't equal fight for freedom.

2. ian 22

Re: "Cyberterrorism"

"the right to bomb and/or invade the nation(s) responsible for them..."

True, however it isn't always wise to assert that right, innit.

3. Nya

Flash

Was I the only one who thought what were the Russians doing moving flash drives back and forth between their plants and the Iranian ones?

1. Crisp

Re: Flash

Ahhhhhh Hhhhhhha!

1. pepper

Not really, the plant is by Russian design partly run by Russians or so I've read a couple of years ago.

2. Great Bu

Will he save every one of us ?

2. Lapun Mankimasta

A short sharp swift google of "stuxnet" will get you any number of sites where it is defined and available, while "stuxnet source code" will get you disassembled code. It's everywhere.

4. Crisp

Well we know who built Stuxnet

I suggest that the governments affected sue the perpetrators from orbit. This kind of collateral damage could have been prevented had the original developers actually targeted their attack.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: Well we know who built Stuxnet

They can just impound the ISS.

5. Chris Miller

Although a (modern) Stuxnet infection indicates poor computer hygiene, unmodified Stuxnet won't cause any actual damage unless you're running specific SCADA hardware and software.

6. Random Handle

Is nothing compared to the epidemic of tcpip.sys - which is everywhere it seems....thankfully Kaspersky is well on top of it...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So what did I learn from this

Perhaps nothing, perhaps something. Education in poor countries still matters. Off the record, with a beer, is still more giving. Bureaucracy is slow. Linux is more secure than Windows. Flash drives are as secure as used condoms. Nobody knows everything. And apparently Australians have the ability to either speak Australian or English. Most men with a name need a hair cut, Note to my self, shut up.

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

"Hallo, ich bin eine Amerikan Mathematik-Professor!"

Were you recently exposed to,

http://notalwayslearning.com/down-blunder/32707

(which possibly I have given away)

8. John LS
    Coat

Read the title and expected a story on how the Russians were stupid enough to use windows to control a nuke plant

9. Steven Jones

No surprise

Surely we already knew from Independence Day that space craft are peculiarly vulnerable to computer viruses.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No surprise

The aliens are vulnerable too. In other news, the miners in the Andromeda galaxy got their machinery infected by Stuxnet via infected twit from Justin Biber.

1. Steven Jones

Of course, HG Wells got there first - the Martians in War of the Worlds succumbed to Earthly bacteria. You'd have thought they'd have had their jabs before venturing across the void.

2. Lapun Mankimasta

Don't you mean Justin Biber _is_ a twit? I don't know how he could infect the Andromeda miners, but anything's possible in this mad world.

10. At0micAndy

stupidity knows no national boundaries

"The malware apparently got into the air-gapped network of the nuke plant on an infected USB stick." oh dear oh dear. Someone show them how to use a sheepdip. Please, I do not want a space station spinning out of control and crashing through my roof.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: stupidity knows no national boundaries

I wouldn't worry about the ISS falling out of the sky - The general purpose laptops on board are just that, they have no control over the life support or guidance systems of the station.

11. Richard Taylor 2
    Happy

Lets face it

it was more than air gapped…..

12. Tom 7

NSA outage soon then?

sshsshshshshshhshshshshshs

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not difficult!

Don't use USB Drives! Don't surf to that dodgy site, you don't need to see a pic of Jub, open page 3!

Safety comes first, simple as that.

14. Gis Bun

The same people who open phishing scam sites opened this one. :-)

15. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Holmes

So *not* so carefully targetted as was originally thought.

Shocker.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like