back to article 'I WAS AN ADMIN FOR SILK ROAD': Alleged hit-man target tells all

The former Silk Road employee whom the website's founder allegedly tried to have killed has testified in a Baltimore, Maryland court, casting fresh light on the murky inner workings of the now-defunct online drugs market. Curtis Clark Green, 47, appeared in the federal court to plead guilty to charges of drug trafficking, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Arthur 1

You Lose Sympathy...

When you decide to get greedy and flip a kilo of coke. Sympathy is dead, it is no more.

Now you have to deal with it like a man: Either take the jail time or run for mayor of Toronto.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Happy

Re: You Lose Sympathy...

"....or run for mayor of Toronto." We'll, it seems being Mayor of Toronton and being a druggie is actually a problem, so a more viable option would be to apply for a position with the Ecuadorean Foreign Ministry or the drugs enforcement branch of their Policía Nacional (http://en.tengrinews.kz/crime/Italy-finds-cocaine-in-Ecuador-diplomatic-pouch-Quito--7528/).

2. Dances With Sheep
      Black Helicopters

Re: You Lose Sympathy...

> When you decide to get greedy and flip a kilo of coke.

He got greedy?

Or more likely, he did $SOMETHINGSTUPID and 1000g a metric shitload of cocaine turned up on his own fucking door step with the FBI's postage stamps on it and all evidence pointing to him.

He's now facing the rest of his life in prison (thankyou WOD). Of course he is gonna sing like a canary to the FBI and make out his life was at risk. They now have a perfect witness willing to say anything.

Sorry mate, but the truith is the first casualty in this story.

2. Eguro

Does Mr. Ulbricht not have any teeth?

1. Winkypop Silver badge
      Facepalm

Less pirate

More punk

2. regorama

yeah i wondered that looks like someone has got funky with an airbrush for some bizarre reason

3. nuclearstar

it isnt defunct anymore. Another Dread pirate roberts has taken charge and brought the site back online.

I dont see how they can stop these sites anymore. It is no different from torrent sites now, and we all know that when 1 closes, 2 more pop up.

1. John Galt

Let us know how that works out

Clearly you've not considered either the NSA and friends or the nature of Bitcoins to any significant degree.

Months before they found DPR, they found the server. How did that happen?

If you can figure out how to hide a publicly known server you can make a lot of money. But if you fail, you go directly to jail. Running one for a few weeks is not a problem. Running one for a few years and not getting caught is impossible with the current surveillance systems.

1. xperroni

Re: Let us know how that works out

Running one for a few years and not getting caught is impossible with the current surveillance systems.

Then again, drug dealing in real time works pretty much the same way – you could probably get away with it once, but make it your day job and sooner or later the g-men will get a hold of you – and yet there seems to be no shortage of young men willing to go into it to the bitter end.

1. miknik

Re: Let us know how that works out

"drug dealing in real time works pretty much the same way – you could probably get away with it once, but make it your day job and sooner or later the g-men will get a hold of you"

Except they don't get hold of the real dealers do they? They got the guy who accepted a delivery of 1KG of coke to pass on, any idiot could do that. They didn't get the guy who has kilos of coke waiting to drop off to people.

There is no shortage of people willing to step up because they can buy in bulk at a price substantially below the end user value of their product, so it seems like quick, easy money. Big distributors keep it this way because it removes them from the majority of the risk of getting caught.

How many actual SR dealers have they caught?

2. Schultz
          Boffin

"no shortage of young men willing to go into [the drug trade]"

It's capitalism 1-01: The price adjusts to balance supply and demand.

Capitalism, aka 'free pursuit of happiness'. You want to fight it? Talk to somebody from the Soviet Union, they gave up fighting after some 70 years.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Big Brother

".....and we all know that when 1 closes, 2 more pop up." Yeah - one hosted by the DEA and one by the FBI.

4. Raumkraut

Dread Libel Ulbricht

> In his affidavit, he said that while at Silk Road he "could also view administrative Bitcoin accounts controlled by Ulbricht" – which, if true, might provide a source of potentially damning evidence.

Except:

> he claims he never knew Ulbricht's true identity. To Green, Ulbricht was "Dread Pirate Roberts,""

So how could his affidavit truthfully claim he could view Ulbricht's accounts, rather than DPR's accounts?

Since Ulbricht outright denies that he is the DPR in question, and AFAIK the only information we have are accusations/hearsay from the FBI, etc., surely it behooves people, and news outlets especially, not to so casually conflate the two identities at this stage.

I believe that it is only after either a confession, or having the evidence produced and an affirmative judgement made in court, that it stops being libel.

1. Urh

Actually....

The case against Ulbricht is pretty strong. The feds aren't just throwing around hearsay, they've managed to establish that Ulbricht is DPR. He did make it kinda easy though, seeing as he made a number of jaw-droppingly stupid mistakes such as:

-using an email address of the form "firstnamelastname@gmail.com"

-using an internet cafe less than 200 metres from his home

-telling the DHS about Silk Road while being questioned by them over a bunch of fake IDs he had ordered

While I concede that some of the evidence is circumstantial, you have to be somewhat delusional if you still genuinely believe that Ulbricht != Roberts.

I was wondering if/when the targets of Ulbricht's attempted assassinations were going to crawl out of the woodwork. IIRC, the second one (whom Ulbricht allegedly coughed up $500k to have whacked) was Canadian. I'll be interested to hear what they have to say...

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Dumkraut Re: Dread Libel Ulbricht

".....I believe that it is only after either a confession, or having the evidence produced and an affirmative judgement made in court, that it stops being libel." Yeah, we'll, whatever you want to baaaah-lieve, the law works a lot differently. It is an accusation at this point, for which charges have been brought (so they must have some evidence to back their case). It only becomes a libel if it is proven in court not only to be incorrect but also to have been stated maliciously whilst knowing it was incorrect.

5. ShellShockeD

Are officers of the law realy allowed to sell you 1kg of coke so they can arrest you ?

i thought this was just as illegal as the crime they are charging you with .

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It probably wasn't real coke either

1. Stuart Moore
  6. i like crisps
    Trollface

I choose DAVID FINCHER

This story would make a very enjoyable movie. much more enjoyable

than the next one that's going to be delivered from JJ Abrams COLON

at the end of next year.

7. Ginolard

Inconceivable!

He hired a hitman?!?! Surely it would've been better to use iocaine powder?

8. JRBobDobbs

Narks

So the sysadmin got into a drug deal with some undercover police and then Dread Pirate Roberts takes out a hit on him with another undercover police.

Were there ever any real criminals involved?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Flag?

Do Americans normally fly the flag in their gardens?

Is it so that people coming along the road know that they have just left America and are now entering, err ...America?

(Confidently expecting this post to go down like lead faggot)

((And, yes, I'm sure I could have worded that last bit somewhat better))

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like