back to article Foxconn-rebrander Apple to rebrand hardware from other Taiwanese firms, too

Apple is planning to work with new manufacturers in China to beef up its supply chain and meet growing demand for the iPhone 5S. The Wall Street Journal quoted unnamed sources who claimed the Taiwanese firm Wistron will soon join Pegatron and Hon Hai as a manufacturer of the 5S. The Taipei-based smartphone and computer …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

This is getting a little tired

Foxconn Rebrander

Come on editors ou can do better than keeping on recycling this.

IF you don't then you need to at least be consistent and call all the other US based companes who use Foxconn as Rebranders as well.

Now waiting to see if this gets deleted as a previous post like this did.

IF not then at least try to be less Daily Fail standard in your headlines.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: This is getting a little tired

Indeed. Since the kit was never branded 'Foxconn', it can't be re-branded.

As we are aware that it is not the article's author who wrote its headline, it is a little unfair to Mr Hamill to make him appear as a new Anna Leach.

2. messele

Re: This is getting a little tired

Yawn, just fucking yawn.

I thought The Register just rebranded news from other websites. After all the entire internet news scene is just a bunch of work experience knuckleheads copying (badly) from each other's news sources.

PS judging by the grim standards of adverts served up on these pages, I doubt it even pays very well.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rebrander

Wow. I wonder what other wonderful things Foxconn designs. What else did the Reg see with Mike Daisey while you were out there?

3. PC1512

Couldn't agree more.

This place really has become the Daily Mail of tech news - the agenda is different, but the methods pretty similar. It's sad to see. I feel insulted whenever I come here now, and not because I happen to be an Apple user, but because the lame digs and bitterly slanted reporting (against all manner of people) would insult anyone's intelligence.

I know it's all linkbait, I know this place exists solely for the clicks and the more outraged comments like this the better, but still. Really, Reg? Is this what you want to be doing?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Couldn't agree more.

Daily Mail?! HOW VERY DARE YOU!!!

It's much more similar to the Daily Sport.

1. messele

Seems if you want to send one of Jasp's turgid tales down the crapper all you have to do is spam it with photos of Max Mosley taking it from Eva Braun.

2. PC1512

The reg would love to be seen as the Daily Sport. It isn't.

2. Ted Treen
      Facepalm

El Reg has moved from New Scientist magazine to Nuts magazine with apparent ease.

It's alright for light entertainment, but you wouldn't take it seriously - or admit to being a reader at a job interview.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

The sad thing is that The Reg can still put out good, interesting stories... take http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11/05/apple_sapphire_factory_in_arizona/ for example, which I found made me think about parts of the tech industry (paying for production facilities for future predicted future demand etc) differently.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Dave 126: They got it from pocket-lint.com, or someone that linked to that article. I find that they are about 2 days behind the curve generally.

4. Ted Treen
    FAIL

And in other news...

Goodyear Rebranders Rolls Royce, BMW & Ferrari might release new cars next year.

5. st4yr4d

atleast el reg is accepting comments that obviously slate their own rather than most who will deny and filter the said comments

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bollocks. For years they have had a policy of removing posts that are deeply critical of the publication. Frankly I'm amazed this one is still here.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

El Reg has removed comments that personally attacked writers. Grousing about the publication, choice of titles or other such things is a longstanding El Reg tradition. Just look at the (mostly successful) campaign to ban mobe.

There is a difference between ad homs against writers and "come on El Reg the Foxconn rebrander thing is getting old*".

That said, there's a crazy amount of brand tribalism amongst the readership. "OMG you attacked $brand_I've_associated_my_self_wroth_with, DIE HEATHEN" is just as overplayed as any linkbait. Would you suggest that The Register is pro-Microsoft? Pro-Apple? Pro-Samsung? Pro-Google? Pro-anyone?

It's not. It's also not anti-anyone. Individual writers may have certain chips on their shoulders, but the publication as a whole does not. Consider the dichotomy between Andrew O and myself, as one example. I disagree with virtually everything that man has ever written. He certainly disagrees with me. That's perfectly fine, we stay out of eachother's way and on we go.

Tim Anderson loves Windows 8. I assuredly don't (Win 7 uber alles) while Drew - and many, many others - use Macs. Chris Mellor tears into Tintri and buffs Pernix. I love Tintri but have deep reservations about Pernix (ones that go far beyond my affiliation with a competitor.)

So perhaps what irritates you is that The Register represents a diversity of opinion. It isn't obviously one thing or another. It doesn't pick sides...or if one writer does, another is perfectly free to come along and disagree as loudly as they so desire.

What isn't cool - and what isn't remotely allowed - is attacking a writer. If you want to come into the comments of an article and say "I disagree strongly, and here's why:" you'll be left alone. That sort of reasoned debate is strongly encouraged.

Coming into the comments with things like "Trevor Pott, you are a giant douchebag who knows nothing about anything and I think you kill yourself for the good of humanity" will get your comment pulled. If it happens too many times, you'll get banned.

To make things even more frustrating for those who simply want to convert all and sundry to their tribe's viewpoint, comments are adjudicated by human beings. These people - good people all, I assure you - may well pull a marginal comment when they are having a terrible day that wouldn't receive the same treatment during a happy day.

That leads to some inconsistency, but that's life. This is a world where human beings have to interact with other human beings and we - each and every one of us - bear a joint responsibility for learning to play nicely with others. (Not that any of us succeed at this all the time.)

It might seem callous and cold to say "if you don't like it go elsewhere", however, If you don't like it I strongly encourage you to go elsewhere. Publications need readers, but the truth of the matter is some people are way - way - more trouble then the two fleshy orbs at the top of their meat popsicles are worth.

If you desire, demand and expect the right to abuse, chastise, berate, belittle or demean the writers of this publication personally then quite frankly we are better off without you. Any publication - and frankly any business in any sector - is better without people such as that as customers. (Or as "product", if that is what you choose to view yourself as.)

If you don't like something about how The Registerdoes headlines, in-jokes, pith or articles, by all means speak your piece and take a stand. Do it in a reasonable and mostly professional way and I think you'll find that feedback incorporated into robust internal debates on the topic.

The Register can't be all things to all people. It will have a style that will be loved by many, hated by many. This is true of every business, every brand, every person on earth. What makes The Register different for so many others is that we actually do listen.

Me, personally, I far prefer a publication known for taking the piss out of things than republishing bland press releases. The day I become an "on message" sycophant like Ed Bott is the day I retire from writing forever.

So if you have a complaint, talk to us about it. Give rationale and use logic and evidence to back up your points. Open a professional dialogue and participate in a back and forth. Anything else will get filed under "haters gotta hate" and we'll get on with the business of doing business.

I hope that clears at least a few things up. Cheers, and have a great day.

*For the record, in my humble opinion, not only is the Foxconn rebrander thing a little tired, but I'm highly critical of this whole "peak Apple" nonsense. Peak Apple my chrome-plated ASCII.

6. nanchatte
    WTF?

REG.

There is wit and then there is David Brent level remarks. "Foxconn Rebrander" is one of the latter. You think you're being funny, but you're not.

Grow up Reg, everyone likes to poke fun at the big guys from time to time, but puerile remarks like this put you somewhat nearer the gutter than I'd like.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who's Out in Force today

I think all the Apple fanbois have had their feelings hurt, poor diddums

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who's Out in Force today

No. It's intelligent people sick of infantile jokes. Diddums

2. Toothpick

@AC 19:57 - Are you new here?

I think regular readers on here are getting royally pissed off with red-top type headlines and reporting.

1. Not That Andrew

Err, haven't you seen the header? El Reg has always been a red-top.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It used to be far more high-brow though...

8. Pet Peeve

Stop the linkbait

It's getting to the point where the only thing I want to read on the Reg are Lester's balloon shenanigans and the very occasional BOFH.

Come up with a new schtick guys, this one is just dumb.

9. Not That Andrew
    Thumb Up

Sure are a lot of butthurt iTards out today. You guys must be doing something right.

10. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Sure are a lot of butthurt iTards out today. You guys must be doing something right.

@Not That Andrew

The comments that proceeded yours were written because some of us feel that The Register should be accurate and amusing, rather than demonstrably incorrect and tedious. Is that not unreasonable? You then have the audacity to ascribe our comments to some irrational and unquestioning love of an inanimate corporate entity (and yes, I'll take that as a insult. Sod off back to the playground Andrew). WTF?

For the record, I've never owned an iDevice (well, I was once donated an iPod but I used it as a HDD donor for a rival device that was better suited to my needs). I'm pretty sure that Apple can look themselves without my help. However, this is a tech news site, it would be nice to be able to discuss technological products on their merit in a mature manner without every fucking thread turning into a name calling match. Some of us have a sense of fair play.

You, Andrew, seem to think that El Reg comment threads would be better if they were more like those found below Youtube videos, rectally-inspired abuse and all. Pillock.

11. ElReg!comments!Pierre
    Happy

Keep'em coming

I didn't even read the article, I came to the comments directly to wallow in the outbursts of self-righteous outrage. I can't say I was disappointed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Keep'em coming

That's a bit harsh on Kristian's post...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like